Khmer Rouge or not, home is home

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Khmer Rouge or not, home is home

Post by hanno »

cpandrea wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:I know that uk school kids go to the Nazi camps and I bet the german kids do too

that whole "dont mention the war" joke came about because the germans dont like talking about it or used to

i went to germany for a week on a school trip but we never went to any nazi camps, went to an old roman amphitheater but no nazi camps,
i cant say i know anyone thats been to a germany nazi camp on a school trip
sorry
the germans and other european students visit the concentration camp
see e.g http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/g ... roups.html Dachau is near Munich.
it depends on the teacher to organise it.
Maybe your teacher decides otherwise or simplethe next concentration camp was too fa away.
The German student study attentive the nazi period.

Germany (or the german government) takes seriously to remember the War II and the Holocaust
http://www.jmberlin.de/main/EN/00-Visit ... mation.php
http://www.stiftung-denkmal.de/en/memor ... urope.html
and are a lot more examples.

To learn the history is very important and I mean, what happens with the refugee in Germany the last year depends on the fact that the german people is aware of their past. Otherwise the present nazi group would find more acceptance through the German people.

PS I´m not German.
Students from all over the world go to the concentration camps and in Germany it is pretty much a standard school trip. The "don't mention the war bit is Fawlty Towers, not reality.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

hanno wrote:
cpandrea wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:I know that uk school kids go to the Nazi camps and I bet the german kids do too

that whole "dont mention the war" joke came about because the germans dont like talking about it or used to

i went to germany for a week on a school trip but we never went to any nazi camps, went to an old roman amphitheater but no nazi camps,
i cant say i know anyone thats been to a germany nazi camp on a school trip
sorry
the germans and other european students visit the concentration camp
see e.g http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/g ... roups.html Dachau is near Munich.
it depends on the teacher to organise it.
Maybe your teacher decides otherwise or simplethe next concentration camp was too fa away.
The German student study attentive the nazi period.

Germany (or the german government) takes seriously to remember the War II and the Holocaust
http://www.jmberlin.de/main/EN/00-Visit ... mation.php
http://www.stiftung-denkmal.de/en/memor ... urope.html
and are a lot more examples.

To learn the history is very important and I mean, what happens with the refugee in Germany the last year depends on the fact that the german people is aware of their past. Otherwise the present nazi group would find more acceptance through the German people.

PS I´m not German.
Students from all over the world go to the concentration camps and in Germany it is pretty much a standard school trip. The "don't mention the war bit is Fawlty Towers, not reality.
Yes, but since when? I think it wasn't spoken about much at school or in the media until the late 80's or early 90's?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

yeah in the 80's everyone had aids (bad aids)
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:I dont think the norvern schools could afford any journey past birmingham
lmfaoooo!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
im norvun and i went to germany for a week, but that was on a german trip not a history trip so the gas chambers were the least of our interests
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
lmfaoooo!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
im norvun and i went to germany for a week, but that was on a german trip not a history trip so the gas chambers were the least of our interests
If you have been 16 years old the beer was your interest during the trip :beer1: :beer1:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

juansweetpotato wrote:Yes, but since when? I think it wasn't spoken about much at school or in the media until the late 80's or early 90's?
60's at least; I checked with relatives who went to school then.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

hanno wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:Yes, but since when? I think it wasn't spoken about much at school or in the media until the late 80's or early 90's?
60's at least; I checked with relatives who went to school then.
Cheers. It's just that German kids in the early 80's I met while traveling led me to be believe it wasn't discussed much.

Have you ever heard of a book by Gisela Elsner called "The Giant Dwarves"? It's about Germany after the war. A kind of Kafkaesque vision of deprivation and a view on a particularly German breed of insanity. A great read.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I haven't what will it track down; thanks juansweetpotatoe.

I think it was discussed plenty but I remember Germans coming to Kenya (where I lived) and they were reluctant to discuss their nationality with non-Germans in particular. You certainly did not see them waving flags or anything. This only changed after the (bought) World Cup:-)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SinnSisamouth wrote:yeah in the 80's everyone had aids (bad aids)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just finished " the look of Silence"
Powerful
for those who did not pick up the link before;
http://thelookofsilence.com/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic