Khmer Rouge or not, home is home

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer Rouge or not, home is home

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote:
John Bingham wrote:The guided tours of S21 are crap anyway, they just tell you the usual BS about how everything was hunky-dory and then suddenly bad mans came and killed lots of people. They don't even explain that most of the photos are of Khmer Rouge cadres who were caught up in purges.
Whatever the official discourse and the ideological reasons behind the preservation of S21,I still think that it's important to remember those who died - even those who believed in the KR. Many were young and uneducated, frustrated and misled, more or less children.
All those people pictured in S21 were killed. Some of them were KR. Some people had joined the KR with good intentions. Some were resisting. Others were killed for no reason.
IMO what happened at S21 goes beyond ideology and beyond Cambodia. It's a reminder of what we all could be under certain circumstances ... butcher or victim.
I still remember my visit.

Sure, but that's all a bit too much for any visitor to take in, so it's all just described as boogieman vs innocents stuff. I remember my visits because I must have been there about 10 times with various friends/relations visiting over the years.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Instead of a museum at every killing site, they could mark them with a plaque, or perhaps just get some flags together with a 2 year old's skull.

Last edited by juansweetpotato on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:i dont evar want to go to the genocide museum

i had a dream about it the day before i agreed to go with a khmer friend

she was relived as she did not want to go either

we got drunk instead
i went to the museum but not the killing fields, the museum was bad enough, all those faces staring back at you, so many faces, dead faces, knowing theyre going to die
theres not much else to the museum tbh just loads of empty rooms, but its depressing, i was tempted to go again now i have a lot better understanding of the country, but i think it would depress me more so ive never bothered
Same here. I went to the school/museum on my first trip to Cambodia because I thought I should.I'm "glad" I went. But one visit was really enough, the experience was intense and I will never forget what I saw there. Or rather, what I felt while I was there.

Also,I have mixed feelings about the concept of genocide sites as tourist "attractions", yet it is important to acknowledge what happened and not to forget those who died. However, I totally understand those who don't want to experience this. (Personally, I visited the museum and THEN got drunk.Each to his/her own.)
I have never been to S-21. After 14 years of visiting / living in Cambodia I have avoided it. In fact, last year I just happened to drive past it by accident and I almost fell off the bike because of the heavy judders coursing through my body.

I did go to the killing fields the first time I came, back in 2002. I was not looking forward to it, but had heard so much about it from friends that I thought I'd go and see the memorial of skulls.

It was weird. I just felt angry but for the wrong reasons.

I was so glad of the little kids selling stuff because they somehow 'cleansed' the place of the ugliness. I've got some good images of kids laughing and playing in the killing fields. All back in the UK, otherwise I'd love to post some here.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

As I understand it, almost all of the people taken to S-21 were tortured into confessing their involvment with the CIA or KGB or Vetnamsee or whatever and coerced into giving out names of their fellow co-conspirators trying to overthrow the KR regime. They were all "enemies of the revolution" already just by the fact that they were arrested, because the KR neve made mistakes and arrested innocent people. Some people actually held out quite a few torture sessions claiming their innocense but the tourture got worse and worse so they all eventually made phony confessions to end the pain and then gave out some names of other innocent people too. Of course, as soon as their "confessions' were typed up officially they were put on the next truck to the killing fields that night.

That is one interesting aspect of the S-21 museum. You can read the original typed "confessions" of several of the victims that are on display. It is a scary reminder of what hate and ignorance can do to humanity and what happens when children are manipulated and indoctrinated for hateful purposes. They easily become brutal, twisted killers.

The most frustrating part for me is knowing that the actual torturers are still alive and were never punished. As far as S-21 goes, only Duch was convicted and sent to prison and that was just a few years ago.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

THE definitive movie about the people who do the torture. The movie centers on two Indonesian torturers years later, disclosing what they did and how they feel about it now.

Everybody should watch this movie once.

https://www.solarmovie.ph/watch-the-act ... -2012.html
Anwar Congo and his friends have been dancing their way through musical numbers, twisting arms in film noir gangster scenes, and galloping across prairies as yodelling cowboys. Their foray into filmmaking is being celebrated in the media and debated on television, because Anwar Congo and his friends are mass murderers.

MEDAN, INDONESIA When the government of Indonesia was overthrown by the military in 1965, Anwar and his friends were promoted from small-time gangsters who sold movie theatre tickets on the black market to death squad leaders. They helped the army kill more than one million alleged communists, ethnic Chinese, and intellectuals in less than a year. As the executioner for the most notorious death squad in his city, Anwar himself killed hundreds of people with his own hands. Today, Anwar is revered as a founding father of a right-wing paramilitary organization that grew out of the death squads. The organization is so powerful that its leaders include government ministers, and they are happy to boast about everything from corruption and election rigging to acts of genocide.

THE ACT OF KILLING is about killers who have won, and the sort of society they have built. Unlike ageing Nazis or Rwandan genocidaires, Anwar and his friends have not been forced by history to admit they participated in crimes against humanity. Instead, they have written their own triumphant history, becoming role models for millions of young paramilitaries. THE ACT OF KILLING is a journey into the memories and imaginations of the perpetrators, offering insight into the minds of mass killers. And THE ACT OF KILLING is a nightmarish vision of a frighteningly banal culture of impunity in which killers can joke about crimes against humanity on television chat shows, and celebrate moral disaster with the ease and grace of a soft shoe dance number.

A LOVE OF CINEMA In their youth, Anwar and his friends spent their lives at the movies, for they were "movie theatre gangsters": they controlled a black market in tickets, while using the cinema as a base of operations for more serious crimes. In 1965, the army recruited them to form death squads because they had a proven capacity for violence, and they hated the communists for boycotting American films - the most popular (and profitable) in the cinemas. Anwar and his friends were devoted fans of James Dean, John Wayne, and Victor Mature. They explicitly fashioned themselves and their methods of murder after their Hollywood idols. And coming out of the midnight show, they felt "just like gangsters who stepped off the screen". In this heady mood, they strolled across the boulevard to their office and killed their nightly quota of prisoners. Borrowing his technique from a mafia movie, Anwar preferred to strangle his victims with wire.

In THE ACT OF KILLING, Anwar and his friends agree to tell the filmmakers the story of the killings. But their idea of being in a movie is not to provide testimony for a documentary: they want to star in the kind of films they most love from their days scalping tickets at the cinemas. The filmmakers seize this opportunity to expose how a regime that was founded on crimes against humanity, yet has never been held accountable, would project itself into history.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375605/synopsis
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Rutiger wrote:
The most frustrating part for me is knowing that the actual torturers are still alive and were never punished. As far as S-21 goes, only Duch was convicted and sent to prison and that was just a few years ago.
That's not a given. About a third of the division that guarded the facility and performed tortures etc ended up incarcerated there themselves. The DC-CAM book The Khmer Rouge Division 703: From Victory to Self-destruction. is a good read. It's available on PDF.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Everybody should watch this movie once.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375605/synopsis

It is a fantastic documentary with amazing cinematography. Quite shocking to see how unrepentant the killers are. Joshua Oppenheimer's follow-up is well worth a look too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3521134/
cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:I know that uk school kids go to the Nazi camps and I bet the german kids do too

that whole "dont mention the war" joke came about because the germans dont like talking about it or used to

i went to germany for a week on a school trip but we never went to any nazi camps, went to an old roman amphitheater but no nazi camps,
i cant say i know anyone thats been to a germany nazi camp on a school trip
sorry
the germans and other european students visit the concentration camp
see e.g http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/g ... roups.html Dachau is near Munich.
it depends on the teacher to organise it.
Maybe your teacher decides otherwise or simplethe next concentration camp was too fa away.
The German student study attentive the nazi period.

Germany (or the german government) takes seriously to remember the War II and the Holocaust
http://www.jmberlin.de/main/EN/00-Visit ... mation.php
http://www.stiftung-denkmal.de/en/memor ... urope.html
and are a lot more examples.

To learn the history is very important and I mean, what happens with the refugee in Germany the last year depends on the fact that the german people is aware of their past. Otherwise the present nazi group would find more acceptance through the German people.

PS I´m not German.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I dont think the norvern schools could afford any journey past birmingham
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

SinnSisamouth wrote:I dont think the norvern schools could afford any journey past birmingham
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic