Khmer Rouge or not, home is home

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Re: RE: Re: Khmer Rouge or not, home is home

Post by qinjingyou »

juansweetpotato wrote:
qinjingyou wrote:I was an interpreter in a refugee camp when word came through that the KR were accepting returnees. There was a family there that had been there for awhile, because it was a bit difficult to find a sponsor for them. The father was a farmer, uneducated and middle-aged, so didn't have good employment opportunities, the oldest child was about 14, a girl who became the contact because her parents were mostly overwhelmed. There were a lot of kids, too. The family had something like 12 or 14 people in all. Sponsors were cautious because they'd have to accept responsibility for a large family with no prospective wage earners.

So Dad decided to go back.
Each of the interpreters, the Area Coordinator, and some of the NGO representatives talked to him personally, trying to get him to change his mind. One of the NGOs found a farmer who would take Dad as a farm hand.
No deal, he wanted to go home.
In a fit of desperation, the interpreters and Area Coordinator worked out with one of the NGOs to accept the oldest girl and two or three siblings as a family of their own.
Nope, Dad was taking the family home.
The day the bus picked them up the interpreters went off duty and got seriously drunk.

For some reason, after all this time that girl haunts me.
Good story. Where was that refugee camp?

Through out history Khmer's have always said 'come and join the party' then they slaughtered the lot.
Olympic Stadium should really be another S-21 museum.
That camp was at Indiantown Gap Pennsylvania. It was a sort of processing center for people the US had accepted for relocation.
I think it's why we felt so bad. They'd made it. In the USA with documents. And they went back.
在见
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: Khmer Rouge or not, home is home

Post by Rutiger »

juansweetpotato wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:nobody did,
same with Rwanda
The horror it all is that it's worse in North Korea and we fucking know thanks to a UN report which labelled North Korea both a genocide and a holocaust... and thanks to money, no-one will do a thing about it.
Corrected that for ya.

What money? Do you think other governments are secretly profiting from the crazy North Korea cash train so they don't want to give it up? What money do you refer too? China doesn't want a prosperous, US ally like South Korea up against it's borders. Makes sense. They perceive the US to be their #1 threat. Therefore, China is using N. Korea as a buffer zone, nothing more...the same way Putin wants Eastern Ukraine as a buffer from NATO countries. Why China has allowed a murderous, whackjob dictator to have nukes and ballistic missiles at their doorstep is beyond me. It's not like China is gaining huge advantage from slave labor over the border.

The US does nothing about N. Korea for fear of full on war with China (and maybe Russia too), which is a certainty if the US were to take military action there, plus the probable destruction of S. Korea in the process. It doesn't help that the US is war weary and over their heads in debt either, but that's not the motive for their inaction. The United Nations is a complete joke that has no teeth or balls to fight anyone anywhere so they are not an option.

China, the US and Russia should have made a pact to invade N. Korea as a joint operation decades ago. It's too late now that they have the bomb.

edited to name the proper poster who replied
Last edited by Rutiger on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Rutiger wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:nobody did,
same with Rwanda
The horror it all is that it's worse in North Korea and we fucking know thanks to a UN report which labelled North Korea both a genocide and a holocaust... and thanks to money, no-one will do a thing about it.
Corrected that for ya.
I must admit i don't get a single thing posted by phuketrichard. His perspective seems so far off as to be unintelligible.

What money? Do you think other governments are secretly profiting from the crazy North Korea cash train so they don't want to give it up? What money do you refer too? China doesn't want a prosperous, US ally like South Korea up against it's borders. Makes sense. They perceive the US to be their #1 threat. Therefore, China is using N. Korea as a buffer zone, nothing more...the same way Putin wants Eastern Ukraine as a buffer from NATO countries. Why China has allowed a murderous, whackjob dictator to have nukes and ballistic missiles at their doorstep is beyond me. It's not like China is gaining huge advantage from slave labor over the border.

The US does nothing about N. Korea for fear of full on war with China (and maybe Russia too), which is a certainty if the US were to take military action there, plus the probable destruction of S. Korea in the process. It doesn't help that the US is war weary and over their heads in debt either, but that's not the motive for their inaction. The United Nations is a complete joke that has no teeth or balls to fight anyone anywhere so they are not an option.

China, the US and Russia should have made a pact to invade N. Korea as a joint operation decades ago. It's too late now that they have the bomb.
The word I substituted was money for the word China. Meaning it is far more profitable to work with China and forget about North Korea.

America would (has) supported dictators that boil their enemies in pots of hot oil (maybe bought the pots from Pennsylvania), just so long as you play along with their idea of free trade.

If China decided to put economic sanctions on the US and stop the flow of cash what do you think would happen? It's coming, just not yet.

It's about money not ethics or morality. It's always been about money. Religion, ethnicity, democracy, communism; although noble ideals to some, they are always just excuses used by some cnut or other to gain wealth and power. I'm sick and tired of it. If we are going to have a war, let it be for the right reasons for a change. Eat the rich .lol

The General says he wants to me meet me for a drink on his return from Saudi, I suggested a bite to eat . I'm sharpening up my knife and fork for the occasion. :evil:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

juansweetpotato wrote:If China decided to put economic sanctions on the US and stop the flow of cash what do you think would happen? It's coming, just not yet.
China imposing economic sanctions on the US? ::shudder to think:: :lol: What? China would lose trillions in trade. The trade imbalance between the two countries is 1000000% in China's favor as things are. The US would be cut off from cheap Chinese made crap and other countries like Mexico, Vietnam and Thailand would be the beneficiaries of a huge boost in trade with the US that used to go to China. Some manufacturing jobs might actually return to the US as a result and more money would stay at home. China would lose hundreds of millions of manufacturing jobs with no one else able to buy enough of their products. What are you smoking? Come on China, impose your best economic sanctions upon the US. Please!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote: Olympic Stadium should really be another S-21 museum.
Why? It has been used as a sports facility and parade ground for a long time. There were some executions there in 1975 but that's hardly unusual for that time.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Rutiger wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:If China decided to put economic sanctions on the US and stop the flow of cash what do you think would happen? It's coming, just not yet.
China imposing economic sanctions on the US? ::shudder to think:: :lol: What? China would lose trillions in trade. The trade imbalance between the two countries is 1000000% in China's favor as things are. The US would be cut off from cheap Chinese made crap and other countries like Mexico, Vietnam and Thailand would be the beneficiaries of a huge boost in trade with the US that used to go to China. Some manufacturing jobs might actually return to the US as a result and more money would stay at home. China would lose hundreds of millions of manufacturing jobs with no one else able to buy enough of their products. What are you smoking? Come on China, impose your best economic sanctions upon the US. Please!

Yes, yes I know, I did say not yet. Who knows in the future. Things tend to move around. It doesn't change the point I was making about money..
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote:
Why? It has been used as a sports facility and parade ground for a long time. There were some executions there in 1975 but that's hardly unusual for that time.
I knew you would pick up on that. it should have been another war crimes museum. Some executions? That's where they invited the old leaders to come and have a party then led them down a corridor. By the time they saw the bloody room at the end, it was too late.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

juansweetpotato wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
I knew you would pick up on that. it should have been another war crimes museum. Some executions? That's where they invited the old leaders to come and have a party then led them down a corridor. By the time they saw the bloody room at the end, it was too late.
I think what he was getting at is that if you memorialized or made war crimes museums out of every place where KR executions and atrocities took place, there wouldn't be many places left for use, and the entire country has few enough facilities like the Olympic Stadium to begin with.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i dont evar want to go to the genocide museum

i had a dream about it the day before i agreed to go with a khmer friend

she was relived as she did not want to go either

we got drunk instead
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SinnSisamouth wrote:i dont evar want to go to the genocide museum

i had a dream about it the day before i agreed to go with a khmer friend

she was relived as she did not want to go either

we got drunk instead
i went to the museum but not the killing fields, the museum was bad enough, all those faces staring back at you, so many faces, dead faces, knowing theyre going to die
theres not much else to the museum tbh just loads of empty rooms, but its depressing, i was tempted to go again now i have a lot better understanding of the country, but i think it would depress me more so ive never bothered
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic