Young foreigners take a dim view of Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Young foreigners take a dim view of Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It appears some young "travelers" touring the world on Daddy's card have a very poor opinion of Cambodians.
http://caitlinsasianadventure.blogspot. ... bodia.html
A gem from the link above:
you go to ankor wat and little children are the main pests, I want to stamp on their feet!
Personally I think conscription would develop some character in these complaining self absorbed youngsters, though that idea will find no favour with Regular Army heads.

Another gem of historical insight:
The fact that Cambodia is the laziest nation in the world is not something I am the first person to notice. When the French entered the area and colonized the country in the 1800s, they noticed that Cambodians are incredibly lazy and never get anything done. No matter what they’d tried, no Cambodian could be bothered to get off their ass so the French were left with one and only option – go to a foreign land and bring the people from there to work in Cambodia. Vietnam was the closest and since colonization of Thailand was never much of a success for the French, Vietnam it was. Obviously, it wouldn’t matter where they’d go as any normal nation will have many people who can get the work done, it’s only Cambodia where there was absolutely no one who could be bothered.

From http://www.travelingmark.com/cambodia/c ... the-world/
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Young foreigners take a dim view of Cambodia

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Apparently the Khmer Rouge hung around until 1998 running the place too... what a fuckwit this lass is.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

is mark in jail?

the feds were after him for a bit over that thing with the chinese student.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Some discussion of the subject by overseas Khmer:
http://khmerconnection.com/topic/cambod ... id-721369/
Cambodians are not stupid.
We are just ignorance due to 30 years of no education.
I am a Cambodian and I smart as hell.
The people (e.g. many, if not, most Barangs who frequent [Khmer440 link removed.] who say that Khmers in Cambodia are stupid (‘Phleu” in Khmer) are generalisers.

To some extent, they are right, depending on how one defines intelligence. It is very difficult to find local Khmers who have the initiative, the problem-solving and the critical thinking skills that enable them to hold down high-level jobs in multinational corporations, NGOs or such organizations.

On the other hand, one can pretty much say the same thing about many Thais, Indonesians, Malaysians, Chinese as well in varying degrees.

The problem is the worst in Cambodia, partly because of the country’s history for the past 50 years and partly because, as Chiz pointed out, “the education system in Cambodia sucks”.

Besides the culture of corruption that has required students to bribe their teachers from Kindergarten upwards, Cambodia’s education system relies on rote learning and does not train students to question, challenge, debate and do all the things that are part and parcel of the normal Western education system. As in Conf.u.cian societies, “the nail that stands up gets hammered”. Students are to be seen, not heard.

Americans, in particular, equate articulateness with intelligence. Most of the time, they assume wrongly that local Khmers who smile and do not say much are dumb or stupid.

In reality, in the cities, many local Khmers are very street-smart and very cunning. Some of the people in Cambodia are Pol Pot survivors and many of the others are children and grand-children of survivors. They project a veneer of innocence, plainness, dumbness (in the minds of the foreigners) but many are among the most manipulative and devious people one can find.

In my opinion, having worked and traveled all over Asia, if I were to generalize, I don’t think local Khmers are any less intelligent than their neighbors.

Many of the “stupid” things that are happening in Cambodia , e.g. selling children into prostitution, are caused by extreme poverty and/ or greed, the absense of a strong moral fiber, ignorance. Behind the obscene wealth, the ostentatious showing off, by shamelessly raping the country while neglecting the most basic human needs of the people (food, shelter, education, the teaching of civics), the moral conduct of the country’s political and business elite (basically one and the same, through inter-marriage) is reprehensible.
And yet, these people are widely admired and envied by many of the poor people who will not hesitate to imitate them, if given the chance.

What we have in Cambodia is a mentality of “ keep them poor and ignorant”, they will think it’s normal that we are obscenely rich (at their and at the country’s expense) and will continue voting for us.

I apologize in advance if my next comments are going to start a row.

I am going to talk about a sterotype in Cambodia that is actually racist . Khmers who have Chinese blood are imbued with a business sense that makes them more intelligent than pure Khmers. I have heard over and over again the same stereotype used by many Sino_Khmers, especially when they choose potential sons or daughters-in-law.

In other words, never mind about what many foreigners say.

Many Sino-Khmers are the ones who say that pure Khmers are ignorant (Lognong), stupid (Phleu) or not very intelligent (Aat Mean Pagna).
Last edited by nemo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yeah, an oldie but a goody - Traveling Mark's posts on Cambodia are real classics. He doesn't let a little thing like facts interfere with his narrative.

Violent crime against tourists in Cambodia:
It is important to understand that a country with hundreds of murders each day will not get an international community talking

http://www.travelingmark.com/cambodia/v ... -cambodia/

He has an online "sister" called Adventurous Kate, who also finds Cambodia a lawless and scary place.
Since the beginning of our trip, we’ve been involved in what has felt like a continuous crime wave. The country that I once regarded as rough in some places but largely peaceful has turned into a place that leaves me feeling unnerved and uncomfortable...
Mugged in Siem Reap...one of the children reached into his pocket and stole his phone. :fool:
http://www.adventurouskate.com/cambodia ... he-better/
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

This attitude appears to be ingrained cultural wisdom from the dreadlocked elders of the fisherman trouser tribe.
http://www.talesofasia.com/rs-29-rant.htm
Perhaps an insufficiency of banana pancake venues in the Kingdom.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

The Foreigners that don't like Cambodia are probably racist bigotted ignorant fools.

The first thing any foreigner should do is to make an effort to get along with a new Culture/people. Why visit a foreign culture and expect them to change to your own ways? If these foreigners think like that, they should stay at home.

:whip:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

I like how the whole thing started. I must admit I've had days like that in Cambodia too.
you start to realise that you have nothing at all in common with them [expats] and that in fact you think the opposite to what they feel the majority of the time, you think everyone is parasitical and after your money, that all kindness is false and then eventually you go to see something very moving like the Khmer Rouge Trials and as you listen to the stories of the victims you start to cry, but not for them, for you and the overwhelming crapness of the place.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :crazy:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

nemo wrote: the French were left with one and only option – go to a foreign land and bring the people from there to work in Cambodia. Vietnam was the closest and since colonization of Thailand was never much of a success for the French, Vietnam it was.
That's true, but did you know the Khmer used to use the Vietnamese as admin workers as well before the French? They didn't trust their own as they were lazy, incompetent and tended to skim more off the top of whatever went through their hands.

Get a Cambodian in a position of power 2 things happen; He immediately thinks he is king, and he spends all day lying in a hammock demanding money and eating soup.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

TheGrinchSR wrote:Apparently the Khmer Rouge hung around until 1998 running the place too... what a fuckwit this lass is.

Exactly, they changed their name quite a few times since then and are still in power in 2016. Silly girl.

She also wrote
Vietnam was still bombing [Cambodia] until 1999
At Ankor Wat - built in the 12th century - by that time we had the bayeux tapestry, magna carta, a thousand years after the romans built great ampitheatres, before that the greeks built intricate friezes on the acropolis, before that there were the pyramids!!! Angkor wat is basically a big estate with lots of empty buildings with carvingd, if you want to see something similar only better go to versailles or hampton court! Same difference only less exotic! Don't you think it's slightly patronising to be like oh it's amazing what they achieved that early on - by that time chinese and europeans had already established mercantile trading and we're like wow they built a palace in the jungle.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic