Young foreigners take a dim view of Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Young foreigners take a dim view of Cambodia

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

juansweetpotato wrote:
nemo wrote: the French were left with one and only option – go to a foreign land and bring the people from there to work in Cambodia. Vietnam was the closest and since colonization of Thailand was never much of a success for the French, Vietnam it was.
That's true, but did you know the Khmer used to use the Vietnamese as admin workers as well before the French? They didn't trust their own as they were lazy, incompetent and tended to skim more off the top of whatever went through their hands.

Get a Cambodian in a position of power 2 things happen; He immediately thinks he is king, and he spends all day lying in a hammock demanding money and eating soup.
3 things really
and has someone else do his work for him and takes a cut of everything
Postby shnoukieBRO » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:03 pm
The Foreigners that don't like Cambodia are probably racist bigotted ignorant fools.
HUH; there are so many reasons someone might not like Cambodia but to call them names,,, :please: :facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

That's true, but did you know the Khmer used to use the Vietnamese as admin workers as well before the French? They didn't trust their own as they were lazy, incompetent and tended to skim more off the top of whatever went through their hands.
Rather like you chaps did with the Negroes when you found the natives wanting, what?

In this entire matter, I chiefly blame the Americans.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

phuketrichard wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
nemo wrote: the French were left with one and only option – go to a foreign land and bring the people from there to work in Cambodia. Vietnam was the closest and since colonization of Thailand was never much of a success for the French, Vietnam it was.

Get a Cambodian in a position of power 2 things happen; He immediately thinks he is king, and he spends all day lying in a hammock demanding money and eating soup.
3 things really
Postby shnoukieBRO » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:03 pm
The Foreigners that don't like Cambodia are probably racist bigotted ignorant fools.
HUH; there are so many reasons someone might not like Cambodia but to call them names,,, :please: :facepalm:
It's just a stage he is going through Richard. Either that or he's thick as a brick.
3 things really
Actually that was covered in point number 2. demanding money and soup. Let's not even go there as far as what the queen' wants'in this generalized image of some of the worse cases here. Let's just say a pile of dog shit seems to have a greater sense of morality.

Postby nemo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:47 am
Some discussion of the subject by overseas Khmer:
http://khmerconnection.com/topic/cambod ... id-721369/
I kind of like that article. He/ she speaks a lot of truth in it. I could imagine everyone rolling their eyes when I pointed out that Sino-Khmer are pretty damn racist against pure Khmer a couple of weeks ago. Especially when Samouth came in to say something quite opposite. Well, that's just the way Samouth rolls. Anyhow, now we have a Khmer in that article saying the same thing as I was. Believe what you want. I know you will.
Remember this is an expat board to share experiences, not a local board for local people. We'll have no trouble here!

I'll stop when they do.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

nemo wrote:
Rather like you chaps did with the Negroes when you found the natives wanting, what?

In this entire matter, I chiefly blame the Americans.

I think your missing the point. It wasn't only the French that understood the Khmer, it was also the Khmer themselves.

Yes, South Africa, Uganda (any more?) they shipped in Indians. Like they did in Ceylon. We all know how that turned out.

In Africa, afaik, mostly we just tied the workers to trees and cut their arms and legs off, or made them into corned beef and fed them to themselves as an example to those that didn't adhere to the protestant work ethic. Seeing as your calling black people, Negroes, I expect you approve.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Merely using the American parlance chap. Have I made a faux pas? Apologies if so.
Now about this corned beef made from lazy humans.

I knew already that the large cauldrons commonly known as missionary pots were traded into West Africa by Yankee slavers, but I was under the strong impression that they were exclusively used by natives for cooking Scots Presbyterians.
Perhaps the odd Wesleyan.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Someday the phony prosperity of the world's currently dominant cultures will come crashing down in a spiral of debt, default, unemployment, hunger, civil unrest and inevitable war. Today's poorest and most downtrodden who live in rural/agricultural areas already will be the ones best able to cope with the aftermath and get on with their normal lives when whiny, urban, self-righteous over-privileged kids like in the OP are standing in soup lines back home and begging for scraps and burning their worthless paper currency for warmth. We'll see who is deemed lazy and dirty then.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Rutiger wrote:Someday the phony prosperity of the world's currently dominant cultures will come crashing down in a spiral of debt, default, unemployment, hunger, civil unrest and inevitable war. Today's poorest and most downtrodden who live in rural/agricultural areas already will be the ones best able to cope with the aftermath and get on with their normal lives when whiny, urban, self-righteous over-privileged kids like in the OP are standing in soup lines back home and begging for scraps and burning their worthless paper currency for warmth. We'll see who is deemed lazy and dirty then.
:plus1:
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rutiger wrote:Someday the phony prosperity of the world's currently dominant cultures will come crashing down in a spiral of debt, default, unemployment, hunger, civil unrest and inevitable war. Today's poorest and most downtrodden who live in rural/agricultural areas already will be the ones best able to cope with the aftermath and get on with their normal lives when whiny, urban, self-righteous over-privileged kids like in the OP are standing in soup lines back home and begging for scraps and burning their worthless paper currency for warmth. We'll see who is deemed lazy and dirty then.
I have to agree with that. I would love to see rich spoilt kids and grownups walking past the green tops of potatoes and carrots, never knowing that there is a tasty meal in the ground below, or a chicken meal on two legs, but no-one knows how to kill it and prepare it to eat.
Hey, I want to still be around when doomsday comes and it's the end of the world, it's going to be fun.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ The meek shall inherit the earth. (The rich will be waiting for 7-11 to re-open).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic