Walking Street Sweep Nets 30 Foreigners Without Proper Papers in Pattaya

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Walking Street Sweep Nets 30 Foreigners Without Proper Papers in Pattaya

Post by TheGrinchSR »

sigmoid wrote:No surprise here. This sort of harassment has become the new normal in the erstwhile "Land o' Smiles". Anti-farang sentiment will increase exponentially this year.
There is no "anti-farang" sentiment here. It's anti-broke-ass-wastes-of-human-skin-farang sentiment. Thailand is a middle income nation, yet most of the farang here don't have health insurance, can't manage to hook themselves up with a legitimate visa, have so little money than when they inevitably do need emergency care - the Thais have to pick up the bill - and their sum contributions to the place are getting drunk and fighting over hookers. If I had to pick neighbours back home; I'd prefer not to have the mongers, scroungers and generally incompetent move in next to me too.

With the Thai Elite visa, mine's under process, they even give you a 24 hour helpline for someone in government to explain to whoever you are dealing with to treat you nicely - because you're spending money in the country; which is what makes an economic migrant attractive to a country in the first place. I am looking forward to my free massages and rounds of golf and my limo collection from the airport every time I land in Thailand too.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ur going to spend 500,000 baht to get a visa to stay in Thailand?
wow high roller

WHY?? if ur under 50 u could fly home and apply for and get a 6 month multi entry tourist visa for around $200 which will give you almost 9 months.
so a trip home every 9 months comes out to less than 100,000/year

do agree where is no anti farang attitude ( no more than there ever has been) just rounding up those that as the grinch states, cant get the right visa.

do not agree with this;
yet most of the farang here don't have health insurance, can't manage to hook themselves up with a legitimate visa, have so little money than when they inevitably do need emergency care - the Thais have to pick up the bill
i'd say 10-15% but just guessing ( not including Indians or Africans)

PS: i dont have health insurance, never have
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

phuketrichard wrote:ur going to spend 500,000 baht to get a visa to stay in Thailand?
wow high roller

WHY?? if ur under 50 u could fly home and apply for and get a 6 month multi entry tourist visa for around $200 which will give you almost 9 months.
so a trip home every 9 months comes out to less than 100,000/year

do agree where is no anti farang attitude ( no more than there ever has been) just rounding up those that as the grinch states, cant get the right visa.

do not agree with this;
yet most of the farang here don't have health insurance, can't manage to hook themselves up with a legitimate visa, have so little money than when they inevitably do need emergency care - the Thais have to pick up the bill
i'd say 10-15% but just guessing ( not including Indians or Africans)

PS: i dont have health insurance, never have
Time = money.

My costs for a 5 year visa are approximately. $3,000 a year. A business class flight back to the UK is more than $3,000... so it's not cheaper to go home in comfort. Then there's the cost of staying there in the UK, eating there, smoking there (god forbid), drinking there, etc. which adds up pretty fucking quickly too. Plus the wasted time travelling half way around the world and the jet lag etc. to deal with.

That means heading somewhere local every 90 days... and wasting 8 days somewhere else (including travel, immigration and various hassles) plus 4 days at immigration here in Chiang Mai. My time is worth more than $250 a day (thankfully). Plus I get those massages, limo services, and golf games on top - which in effect are worth the cost of the visa by themselves. Then there's the added benefit of not having to queue at immigration plus the lovely government helpline to help smack recalcitrant folks about. So the benefits are worth having.

Cost-benefit analysis is easy in most cases. Add up what you bill your clients at... and then work out what's best and for me that's working rather than fucking about trying to save a couple of quid on visas.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

on the elite;
u need still need report in every 90 days although they do it for ya
you still cant work legally

no golf or spa for 500,000

nice being in ur position>>> :-)
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

phuketrichard wrote:on the elite;
u need report in every 90 days correct?
do u need get a re entry permit?
you still cant work legally

nice being in ur position>>> :-)
No 90 day reporting. :-) You don't need a re-entry permit. You can't work legally but they will facilitate employment visas (in addition to the Thai Elite visa) if so desired... so you pretty much can work legally too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

still need a wp to work so u can not work with only the elite visa
i'll stick with my 1,900 /year visa and 3,800 for multiple re-entry
i usually leave every 2-3 months so don't do 90 reports or if l do stay longer can do online
dont need limo and hate strangers touching my body LOL

Not knocking it if it works for ya
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Perhaps something more going on than we originally thought
now in Chiang Mai
100 Armed Police Raid Zoe in Yellow, No Criminals Found
CityNews – Last night, 18th February, one hundred police officers and tourist police officers raided and roped off the Zoe in Yellow entertainment complex, refusing to let tourists go, testing urine for drugs and arresting tourists without a passport on them.
http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/1 ... als-found/
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Walking Street Sweep Nets 30 Foreigners Without Proper Papers in Pattaya

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:Perhaps something more going on than we originally thought
now in Chiang Mai
100 Armed Police Raid Zoe in Yellow, No Criminals Found
CityNews – Last night, 18th February, one hundred police officers and tourist police officers raided and roped off the Zoe in Yellow entertainment complex, refusing to let tourists go, testing urine for drugs and arresting tourists without a passport on them.
http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/1 ... als-found/
Testing urine for drugs?

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

HRH Princess of Thailand is in Chiang Mai this week for the CMU graduation services. It's pretty normal for the cops to show what they can do when a member of the Royal Family comes to visit... no major conspiracy here.

As for pee tests... they've been doing those at random for years.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

TheGrinchSR wrote:I feel like I'm seeing this row in stereo... it's going on full blast on Thaivisa too. For me, it's simple - carry a passport or expect a night in the cells. That's the reality of what happens here in Thailand. The actual law is, as always in South East Asia, irrelevant to what happens or doesn't happen.
Often yes, you're right, but not in these specific passport cases posted. Had the detained tourists had their passports with them, thereby following "the actual law", they would not have been detained for that passport infraction. The drug test is a separate issue. What is irrelevant are the ridiculous proclamations of the various Thai police commanders that phuketrichard kept posting about when it is obvious now that they were/are full of shit.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic