I have some serious questions about this place

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

I have some serious questions about this place

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Hello,

My name is Gav......

You guys have so much info - it is unbelievable, in a good way, that is why I am here, I would love to be able to shout or meet someone from here for a beer or something! some time soon - When I get my shit together...

Anyway......

I am only new here - Cambodia seems to be such a grim story, but heaps of potential, I am looking to move here to Cambodia very soon. There are few questions I have if anyone is able to give me some assistance. I am not sure what to say...... I have an interest here because I lost my Grandfather here...plus I like the culture... and more...

I am from Australia - my father has been in Thailand for about 30 years now, I have nothing left in Australia, sweet FA in Thailand,- - well my old man - but we don't live in each others pockets. (Most of my family in Australia is now deceased), I still speak some Thai, but what can I say...........

I have a GF in PP, I know a lot about history in Thailand and Vietnam and things, (Ancient History), BUT I have no understanding of the "regime" in the 60's 70's and to what I can understand that 'regime' is still somewhat here, but 'diluted' '-- she (my GF) will not talk about it out of fear! Is that normal? I am just trying to learn about the history and the culture.... Is the subject Taboo? or am I not in the correct forum? From what I understand (maybe I am incorrect?) that 'regime' thing is not talked about? They talk about the French and independence etc. in school,and later events, but that seems to be about the "Length & breadth" of it?? I am not trying to be rude or judgmental, I am just trying to gain a better understanding.

I am just honestly trying to get a better grasp on things/history. that is all. I am looking to move here soon, I will not go to live in Thailand. I was in Cambodia many years ago, I am just up for a chat - if this is the incorrect forum, please let me know, I am highly interested in some of the history.... which almost seems taboo. is that the approach I should generally take?? I appreciate any advice here -- Thais were the same in some respects..... I look forward to hearing from someone - I am not talking about the graves, or the skulls (respectfully) -- but what actually went on here...

My Pop died here. If I am wrong in what I said previously, please correct me.....

I never found out what happened to him (my grandfather) ...... Any advice or help would be appreciated....apologies for any inconvenience - I am eager to learn...

I respect what you guys have to say..... Anyone? I am definitely not paranoid about Cambodia, I was just after some accurate historical information which I can't seem to find.

Kindest Regards
Gav :bow:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: I have some serious questions about this place

Post by TheGrinchSR »

There are two issues facing you here - 1. it's not history to the Khmer, lots of people are wandering around today who lived through the KR and nobody wants to talk about it at all (some because of what was done to them and some because of what they did). 2. Most Khmer lack the education to understand their history, even should they want to talk about it, so asking them about it is a touch pointless (as well as rude).

If you want to understand Cambodia of that time - read Chandler, Osbourne, Shawcross, etc. all of whom can give you a clear overview. Though nobody can give you much on the brief regime of Lon Nol mainly because it was utterly destroyed by the KR and there are no records, etc. from that time remaining to us.

You may find that if you keep your mouth shut for long enough and develop deep relationships with one or more locals - they will eventually volunteer their stories but even these should be treated with a certain amount of skepticism unless the person telling the story is in their 70s or 80s... word of mouth has a habit of altering the truth at each telling.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

People often talk about that period, but as above you'd most likely need to know them for a while first. If they are younger than 45 they probably won't remember much about it. One thing to keep in mind is that the period came at the end of a brutal 5 year civil war, and the couple of decades afterwards had their fair share of fighting and misery too, it wasn't just some isolated event.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

John Bingham wrote:People often talk about that period, but as above you'd most likely need to know them for a while first. If they are younger than 45 they probably won't remember much about it. One thing to keep in mind is that the period came at the end of a brutal 5 year civil war, and the couple of decades afterwards had their fair share of fighting and misery too, it wasn't just some isolated event.
"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

It took the Germans a long time before they would discuss the war openly.

I was always asking Germans I met in the 80's about what was happening about discussing the war at school/in public. They said it's pretty much skipped over. I think it was the 90's when it started to be discussed more openly there. Perhaps Hanno can give his view on this.

They do have education on the DK period at school nowadays. Not sure if it covers all schools or not, but I think most. It's only been taught for a few years and I haven't read the book they use, so don't know what they are told exactly.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Re: RE: I have some serious questions about this place

Post by qinjingyou »

gavinbrisbane wrote:Hello,

My name is Gav......

You guys have so much info - it is unbelievable, in a good way, that is why I am here, I would love to be able to shout or meet someone from here for a beer or something! some time soon - When I get my shit together...

Anyway......

I am only new here - Cambodia seems to be such a grim story, but heaps of potential, I am looking to move here to Cambodia very soon. There are few questions I have if anyone is able to give me some assistance. I am not sure what to say...... I have an interest here because I lost my Grandfather here...plus I like the culture... and more...

I am from Australia - my father has been in Thailand for about 30 years now, I have nothing left in Australia, sweet FA in Thailand,- - well my old man - but we don't live in each others pockets. (Most of my family in Australia is now deceased), I still speak some Thai, but what can I say...........

I have a GF in PP, I know a lot about history in Thailand and Vietnam and things, (Ancient History), BUT I have no understanding of the "regime" in the 60's 70's and to what I can understand that 'regime' is still somewhat here, but 'diluted' '-- she (my GF) will not talk about it out of fear! Is that normal? I am just trying to learn about the history and the culture.... Is the subject Taboo? or am I not in the correct forum? From what I understand (maybe I am incorrect?) that 'regime' thing is not talked about? They talk about the French and independence etc. in school,and later events, but that seems to be about the "Length & breadth" of it?? I am not trying to be rude or judgmental, I am just trying to gain a better understanding.

I am just honestly trying to get a better grasp on things/history. that is all. I am looking to move here soon, I will not go to live in Thailand. I was in Cambodia many years ago, I am just up for a chat - if this is the incorrect forum, please let me know, I am highly interested in some of the history.... which almost seems taboo. is that the approach I should generally take?? I appreciate any advice here -- Thais were the same in some respects..... I look forward to hearing from someone - I am not talking about the graves, or the skulls (respectfully) -- but what actually went on here...

My Pop died here. If I am wrong in what I said previously, please correct me.....

I never found out what happened to him (my grandfather) ...... Any advice or help would be appreciated....apologies for any inconvenience - I am eager to learn...

I respect what you guys have to say..... Anyone? I am definitely not paranoid about Cambodia, I was just after some accurate historical information which I can't seem to find.

Kindest Regards
Gav :bow:
People aren't going to talk freely unless they know you. You'll have to get to know some older people, around 60 or older, to get first hand stories. Keep in mind that they've spent 40 years surviving by not talking carelessly. Once people know you they may be more open.
A book that I thought caught the atmosphere of the early KR was The Gate, by Bizot. It got the fear and uncertainty.
I've been assuming you speak some Khmer. If not things are going to be hard. If you can, well, everyone over 60 or so can help you out, if they think you're not a doofus.
PM me if you want, I can't say I'll tell you much, but we could have a beer .
在见
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah its a dark place in the cambodian timeline that still isnt really classed as history yet, and no one likes picking the scabs,
ive had friends, and some strangers tell me things, and its sad, i wouldnt want to talk about it, must have been such a terrible time
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Rama
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: I have some serious questions about this place

Post by Rama »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah its a dark place in the cambodian timeline that still isnt really classed as history yet, and no one likes picking the scabs,
ive had friends, and some strangers tell me things, and its sad, i wouldnt want to talk about it, must have been such a terrible time
Well said Jamie.
And it didn't just end in 1975 with the overthrow of the Khmer Rogue. There was gurellia/civil war, and a lawless post war state until when? 1991-1993 was the UNTAC period but even after they left the county was still a mess with coups and lawlessness. Maybe 1998 onwards things started to become a bit less hairy and messed up.

A lot of Khmers have grown up in a society that's hard for 'us westerners' to imagine.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

few times i have set down with the gf's family an talked about it

about half of her older family were killed or died,
it was a black time

One reason few will talk about it is if they did survive they MIGHT have joined ( either freely or been forced) the KR to stay alive.

I met many KR cadres in the late 80's as we used them as guides to work in the gem areas south of Pailin
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Thanks very much fellas for the insight, I don't know, nor can I imagine to understand what it must have been like back then, I have heard many stories.

I guess I am just trying to come to a parallel in my own mind so I have a better understanding... As I say, I would love to catch up with someone for a few beers or something sometime, I have my house on the market atm, I am selling everything here, I feel I have nothing left here in Australia, so it is time for a new 'adventure' if one can describe it that way....

I don't mind Thailand - but it has changed a lot from when I was a child...... Cambodia 'kind of' reminds me of Thailand as it was many years ago - if I can be so reckless as to make that comparison??? I think Thailand is overpriced now, and visas and things, harder every day there, but if I can find myself somewhere in Cambodia I think I will be more happy than the miserable existence that seems to get churned out here....

I know that may seem like an odd thing to say, but I am completely 'over it' here....time for me to start again.......I have no family, I have no real commitments..... so why not?

I have been looking at Cambodia for over a year now, and have just been organizing my thoughts... It is coming to crunch time for me.

I appreciate your time taken to reply...

If you have any advice or anything I would be more willing to learn/understand and soforth.... or catch up when I arrive :)

Kindest Regards

Gav
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic