Can we exchange torn money at the bank with lower value?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Can we exchange torn money at the bank with lower value?

Post by Samouth »

I accidentally ripped apart my 100 note. i have stuck them together with tape. I wonder if i could get it exchange at the bank with the bank cutting down its value.

Last edited by Samouth on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Can we exchange tore money at the bank with lower value?

Post by Digg3r »

Some money changers used to do this. Maybe they still do. Surely banks would.

If I had notes that no one else would accept I'd use them to pay my internet bill when I was with metfone. They took anything.

Failing that, exchange it with an American tourist before they return home. In the real world no one cares about torn money.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Can we exchange torn money at the bank with lower value?

Post by logos »

I'm betting no bank will touch that. The way they obsessively scrutinise even $1 bills, they'll never take a ripped $100.

As to finding a tourist good luck, they'll all think he's trying to flog fake notes.

Too bad Samouth. Keep it until you travel to Thailand.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

There's a money changer in Siem Reap that does change up torn notes (for a healthy 3% commission mind you); so I'd imagine you might find a similar service elsewhere in Cambodia.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I had a torn $100 once and made a fuss at a bank and they changed it. I don't see why any reputable bank would refuse it. Technically speaking, if you walk in with the bigger half of a torn note (smaller half missing), it's still legal tender and can be exchanged for a fresh bill as the banks can in turn exchange with the treasury. Try your bank first and if they refuse, try ANZ. If it's a real bill, I don't see why they wouldn't take it, tear it no tear. That shit pisses me off here. It simply goes out of circulation and gets sent to the treasury to get shredded. The whole "face is slightly faded/tiny tear at the top" thing is a purely Cambodian thing. Go to any western country and you give and receive torn notes with tape on them on a regular basis, no problems. No need to worry or check them too carefully. I understand that normal Cambodians don't know this or understand it, but any bank worth its name in 2016 should always be able to exchange it. It would have been difficult 7-10 years ago, but it's time banks joined the 20th century, no excuses. Try it out and report back.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ What he said. Plus they will change $100 for $100.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ill trade you that $100 for a new $100 + you can buy me a massage...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ill trade you that $100 for a new $100 + you can buy me a massage...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

ATM did same to me. Canadia bank said NO. went to mkt. chngr. no problem.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I had a few thousand dollars which had rotted in their hiding place after a flood and the 100s were falling to dust.

Got them changed for $1 commission on each one.

Any bank you have an account with should take the,, no questions asked.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic