New policies to attract retirees to Cambodia ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

New policies to attract retirees to Cambodia ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

This should be good news for many. This is the announcement, stay tuned for the followup...
The government is planning to boost Cambodia’s attractiveness as a second-home tourist destination for foreign retirees, according to a draft policy obtained from the Ministry of Tourism Wednesday.
The draft includes a range of proposals to extract more income from Cambodia’s tourist industry by encouraging foreigners to buy property and stay longer in the country, with involvement from the ministries of tourism, finance and land management...

AND ...
“Special tourists” would have the right to buy, rent or sell property in these residences, and also be entitled to longer-term and more flexible vi­sas, according to the draft....
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/gove ... cy-108126/
:popcorn:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: New policies to attract retirees to Cambodia ?

Post by Duncan »

Well it's got me interested.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote:Well it's got me interested.
Exactly, I think that a lot of retirees have been waiting for something like this. Now to see what unfolds ...
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Exactly, I think that a lot of retirees have been waiting for something like this. Now to see what unfolds ...
It will be something along the lines of - own $100,000 USD worth of property in the Kingdom and qualify for a 5 or a 10 year visa (which can be renewed immediately it expires with a similar visa). The property will be poorly made and massively over-priced and still too far from decent medical care to make it attractive to most retirees and unaffordable to the majority who might be interested but are attracted to Cambodia for the cost of living. So, I'd contain the excitement - those who could spend the money would be better off doing so in Thailand or Malaysia and getting the healthcare to go with it; this will end up being a scheme for money laundering Chinese and Koreans...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

The headline got me excited, the report left me non-plussed. Think The Grinch has it nailed. Poor infrastructure and medical treatment will doom this project. Neither of these are doable in a 5-10 year time frame for improvement unless they open up the Cambodian Treasury and spend like, well, like the criminals they are. Thailand and Malaysia are way better options for the foreseeable future. Even Vietnam might raise its profile in the next 5-10 years.

I do hope there are some subsidiary features that might work for us Plain Old Folk.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

TheGrinchSR wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
It will be something along the lines of - own $100,000 USD worth of property in the Kingdom and qualify for a 5 or a 10 year visa (which can be renewed immediately it expires with a similar visa). The property will be poorly made and massively over-priced and still too far from decent medical care to make it attractive to most retirees and unaffordable to the majority who might be interested but are attracted to Cambodia for the cost of living. So, I'd contain the excitement - those who could spend the money would be better off doing so in Thailand or Malaysia and getting the healthcare to go with it; this will end up being a scheme for money laundering Chinese and Koreans...
So Grinch, in your vast experience here in Cambodia, what do you base your statement on? And lets face it, that's a fairly specific statement. 100k and 5 or 10 year visa.
So WHAT exactly, other then moonbeams and stardust, do you base your statement on?
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

So WHAT exactly, other then moonbeams and stardust, do you base your statement on?
If I may intercede, I'd say common sense and probably sound business experience, but these seem to be alien concepts to the likes of you.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Hotdigr wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
So Grinch, in your vast experience here in Cambodia, what do you base your statement on? And lets face it, that's a fairly specific statement. 100k and 5 or 10 year visa.
Those of us who don't spend our lives drinking meths with the gap-toothed failures of the Southern Hemisphere have the freedom to travel and are thus, perhaps, slightly more worldly than those who do.

Investment visas for retirement (or indeed for second home ownership) are fairly common around the world - including in Thailand and Malaysia (and indeed Ecuador, Dubai, Bahrain, and many other places too). They are usually based around a minimum investment (the number of $100K is indeed plucked out of the air but is roughly half what is required in Malaysia or Thailand - so it would seem like a reasonable number nonetheless - particularly when they're talking about "special zones" for purchasing the property in) and visa lengths are commonly either 5 or 10 years when associated with such schemes.

I see you offer no alternative scheme from your position of "butthurt in Sihanoukville" but then your vast experience drinking 50 cent beers probably hasn't left you able to. I wish you a good day espousing your brilliance as "more experienced in Cambodia and indeed failure" than others.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

TheGrinchSR wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
It will be something along the lines of - own $100,000 USD worth of property in the Kingdom and qualify for a 5 or a 10 year visa (which can be renewed immediately it expires with a similar visa).

The property will be poorly made and massively over-priced

and still too far from decent medical care to make it attractive to most retirees and unaffordable to the majority who might be interested but are attracted to Cambodia for the cost of living. So, I'd contain the excitement - those who could spend the money would be better off doing so in Thailand or Malaysia and getting the healthcare to go with it; this will end up being a scheme for money laundering Chinese and Koreans...

Actually if you compare a property in OZ , made of untreated pine [ that termites love ] and jib board lining, to a brick and mortar
structure [ covered in tiles ] in Cambodia, you can then decide which one is poorly made.

As for health care , would you prefer to wait in line several months in Australia or wait just hours at the airport to go to Vietnam , Thailand or Malaysia.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

You might get a few adventurous types but I can't see it achieving anything like a significant number to make a wider economical difference. Seems a bit like the Thais banging on about attracting " quality visitors " but failing to realise that it cuts both ways and they expect a decent level of infrastructure, service, quality, safety etc in return. Like everything else it's a competitve market out there and It takes a bit more than just build it and they will come IMHO. Although building it would be a good start.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic