British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

Post by obelisks »

this would have made a great Monty Python sketch- but the sad thing is it was real :(

" The Army, Pattaya Police and District Officials, conducted a raid on a 2nd floor rented apartment in South Pattaya on Monday Night which was being used by a Bridge Club for foreign nationals.
Over 50 officers stormed the premises and found 8 tables and 32 foreign nationals, consisting of 26 men and 6 women who were playing the popular card game “Bridge”.
No money was changing hands, however the officers scoured the law books and found an offense was being committed and therefore the alleged organizer of the event, Mr. Jeremy Watson aged 74 from UK was detained for further questioning."
http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2212 ... h-pattaya/
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The moral of this story is that when they send 50 coppers to bust you; they have to take a scalp even if it's for owning more than 120 playing cards (playing bridge is now dead in Thailand).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Brilliant. Madder and madder like Alice in Wonderland. Now the Thai police will have to learn the rules of bridge, that should keep them occupied for a bit.
UPDATE – 4 February – 12.00pm
Pattaya One was contacted once again by a member of the Bridge Club who informed us that all players have been released on bail pending further investigations. Police decided not to refer the case to Court at this point pending further discussions with the Chief of Banglamung District, who instigated the raid, and the President of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand who traveled to Pattaya to provide further information on “Bridge” and how it is played for points and not money.
http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2212 ... h-pattaya/
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

You beat me to it. Was just going to post this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-04/e ... ard%20view

The authorities may look dumb but it's all part of their long-term plan to completely rid the country of farang and establish a pure Thai state.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

sigmoid wrote:You beat me to it. Was just going to post this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-04/e ... ard%20view

The authorities may look dumb but it's all part of their long-term plan to completely rid the country of farang and establish a pure Thai state.

but what's the big hurry? With people in this age group they can still achieve their desire through effluxion of time? :crazy:
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

Thai coppers are the greediest stupidest police force on earth if I saw one in oz on my home turf I would Rob him like he robs all the farangs in Thailand.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

u really are a credit to australia
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

SinnSisamouth wrote:u really are a credit to australia
Crime riddled cesspit called pattaya has more problems than a bunch of senior citizens playing cards how bout ladyboys robbing and drugging, gun crime, murder, illegal immigration ,underage prostitution ,homelessness , disease ,corruption and a huge meth problem for starters.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Don't be absurd. Pattaya is for Golf. Anything else is incidental.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

bkktrapper wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:u really are a credit to australia
Crime riddled cesspit called pattaya has more problems than a bunch of senior citizens playing cards how bout ladyboys robbing and drugging, gun crime, murder, illegal immigration ,underage prostitution ,homelessness , disease ,corruption and a huge meth problem for starters.
so to counteract what in your eyes ruins a holiday retreat youll rob the alleged robbers in your home country?

brilliant logic
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic