Thinking of moving to Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
RJG2016
Expatriate

Thinking of moving to Phnom Penh

Post by RJG2016 »

Hi forum members.

New to this forum. We are considering looking at Phnom Penh to possibly relocate and start a business.
Currently we are in Thailand and having sold up we are mulling the idea of coming to Cambodia!

We are trying to make our minds up over the course of a Month. Whether to relocate to Bangkok, the UK or have a go in Phnom Penh.

I will research this and other forums but as time is of the essence it would be kind of you could point us in the right direction.

Questions.
English schools in PP. Where are they located and what is the tuition fees etc. Any ideas?
Where is the best location to establish a restaurant?
Are there any Asian (Chinese) supermarkets or food stalls selling Chinese food products in PP?
Is there food delivery companies operating in Phnom Penh that would deliver our product to ex-pats?

Thanks in advance.

Note: we are considering a trip to PP this Month but appreciate any advice before we make the journey.

RJG
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Thinking of moving to Phnom Penh

Post by Cam Nivag »

RJG2016 wrote: Where is the best location to establish a restaurant?
You can open a restaurant in a popular area and place it right among 100 other restaurants all of which are competing aggressively on price and scraping to get by. Or open it in an area no one goes to.
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

Cam Nivag wrote:
RJG2016 wrote: Where is the best location to establish a restaurant?
You can open a restaurant in a popular area and place it right among 100 other restaurants all of which are competing aggressively on price and scraping to get by. Or open it in an area no one goes to.
OK, thanks for my first thread reply.

I was told by a friend who moved from Pattaya to PP that the 'popular' areas were near the river front, and nearby.

It's been thirteen years since my last trip to PP. I guess it must have changed somewhat?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

RJG2016 wrote:Hi forum members.

New to this forum. We are considering looking at Phnom Penh to possibly relocate and start a business.
Currently we are in Thailand and having sold up we are mulling the idea of coming to Cambodia!

We are trying to make our minds up over the course of a Month. Whether to relocate to Bangkok, the UK or have a go in Phnom Penh.

I will research this and other forums

but as time is of the essence it would be kind of you could point us in the right direction.

Questions.
English schools in PP. Where are they located and what is the tuition fees etc. Any ideas?
Are there any Asian (Chinese) supermarkets or food stalls selling Chinese food products in PP?
Is there food delivery companies operating in Phnom Penh that would deliver our product to ex-pats?

Thanks in advance.

Note: we are considering a trip to PP this Month but appreciate any advice before we make the journey.

RJG
RJG,, There are no other forums other than this one. If you do find another forum it will be one under the control of some communist organization and will
only give you the wrong info.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Questions back:

1. What kind of quality of English school do you need?
2. What kind of Chinese/Asian food will you be making? (Given that China is 1.3 billion people there are many schools of cookery etc. some are present in Phnom Penh some are not - however, it is reasonably certain that in an Asian capital that some Asian food will be available).
3. What sort of delivery service? Hot meals or pre-packaged stuff?

Also as an aside, I find it peculiar anybody would consider opening a business in a city they haven't even visited. You can't possibly measure market demand, the quality of life, etc. from afar. If you're in Thailand visiting PP is cheap as chips... I'd suggest you get your bum on a bus and find out what's there before making any decisions based on forum responses.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Waste of time to check it out first or even make plans as it's so simple and easy here. Just buy a restuarant and the locals will do all the work for peanuts and you can rake in the dough. Especially if you cook up some of that delicious british food.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

Duncan wrote:
RJG2016 wrote:Hi forum members.

I will research this and other forums

but as time is of the essence it would be kind of you could point us in the right direction.

Questions.

Thanks in advance.

RJG
RJG,, There are no other forums other than this one. If you do find another forum it will be one under the control of some communist organization and will
only give you the wrong info.
Thanks Duncan.

I like the look of this forum. Just stumbled across it.

Anyhow, maybe I should explain a little bit of what we would be bringing to PP and members can give their opinions/ideas. We just sold a restaurant/bar and a beer bar in Pattaya. The restaurant operated for more than two years and was extremely popular. We decided to sell because my Wife was so busy She was completely burnt out by the experience. She could not find reliable Thai staff in Pattaya. And when She found kitchen staff they couldn't learn the skill set She tried to pass onto them. It was hopeless. And I, being a farang of course could not help Her.
Why PP is attractive to us for relocation. Easy work permits.

This is our old facebook page. We offer quality Western Chinese food. And I'd like to know if there's a market for this in PP. Friend who have moved there say there is. But I'd like opinions and to find out certain things before we take the plunge.

https://www.facebook.com/Wok-N-Rok-1397892993787026/
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

TheGrinchSR wrote:Questions back:

1. What kind of quality of English school do you need?
2. What kind of Chinese/Asian food will you be making? (Given that China is 1.3 billion people there are many schools of cookery etc. some are present in Phnom Penh some are not - however, it is reasonably certain that in an Asian capital that some Asian food will be available).
3. What sort of delivery service? Hot meals or pre-packaged stuff?

Also as an aside, I find it peculiar anybody would consider opening a business in a city they haven't even visited. You can't possibly measure market demand, the quality of life, etc. from afar. If you're in Thailand visiting PP is cheap as chips... I'd suggest you get your bum on a bus and find out what's there before making any decisions based on forum responses.
1. My children speak, write and read English perfectly. They have lived in the UK most of their lives. A decent school to further their education. And I can also Home tutor in my spare time.
2. Western Chinese. Mostly British but with also an American added on Chinese menu. Check my reply to Duncan for our old facebook page.
3. To deliver our Chinese takeaways. Fresh, straight from the wok.
I have been to PP several times. But, a long time ago. Been to Seim Reap, Snooky etc. We do plan to get our bums on the bus but any info regarding what I've asked about beforehand, is most appreciated.
Last edited by RJG2016 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

1. Then you're looking at international schools which have become expensive (for this part of the world) expect to pay $2-4,000 per term per child.

2. Western Chinese sounds awesome (in that I would, if I were in PP, become a loyal customer) but I think the barang market is much smaller than the farang market where you're coming from and they have less money too... not sure the market would support sending your kids to international schools in PP let alone make much more of a profit.

3. There is but you might find it cheaper to take on a moto driver or two and deliver yourself.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

TheGrinchSR wrote:1. Then you're looking at international schools which have become expensive (for this part of the world) expect to pay $2-4,000 per term per child.

2. Western Chinese sounds awesome (in that I would, if I were in PP, become a loyal customer) but I think the barang market is much smaller than the farang market where you're coming from and they have less money too... not sure the market would support sending your kids to international schools in PP let alone make much more of a profit.

3. There is but you might find it cheaper to take on a moto driver or two and deliver yourself.
Thanks for that reply.

This is things we need to find out and exactly why I joined this forum. That schooling seems quite pricey!

Great. It's what we need to get an idea on. The local PP expat market etc.

If a moto driver was a better option that would be possible. There are companies here called door 2 door and others but they take 30% back from the cost of the food they deliver.

So much to think about. My Wife wants to return to the UK she's lost the shine for Thailand after two years of dealing with people who wouldn't listen or want to learn. I'd like to try either in Bangkok or PP. Bangkok though, we might have the same problems hiring. And company set up is pricey to get work permits etc. So much easier in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic