Thinking of moving to Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Thinking of moving to Phnom Penh

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i think you will do well with your business mate, it will just be the schools that will be your main obstacle, good luck mate
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Why don't you just move to Sihanoukville? It's like Pattaya for dudes who can't afford to stay in Pattaya.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

beaker wrote:If she doesn't like Thailand she really won't like Cambodia imho
Reason #7 why you should never move to Cambodia. "Your Thai girlfriend will absolutely hate it."
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

Cam Nivag wrote:Why don't you just move to Sihanoukville? It's like Pattaya for dudes who can't afford to stay in Pattaya.
There's the reason.
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

Cam Nivag wrote:
beaker wrote:If she doesn't like Thailand she really won't like Cambodia imho
Reason #7 why you should never move to Cambodia. "Your Thai girlfriend will absolutely hate it."
No problem Her settling anywhere. She's been in the UK for near 9 years and we travel around a lot. A kitchen is a kitchen. Regardless where it is.

The obstacles I see could be schooling, supplies and lack of expats looking for Western Chinese. Or not willing to pay the price. Let's see.
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i think you will do well with your business mate, it will just be the schools that will be your main obstacle, good luck mate
Thanks. I like the idea that I can do hands on stuff. I cannot cook like Her but certainly do all the pastes/sauces preparation, running it etc. Take a big weight off Her.

Schools do seem pricey.

I do have a lot of experience in Home schooling. But I wouldn't have the time in PP I don't think.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

RJG2016 wrote: No problem Her settling anywhere. She's been in the UK for near 9 years and we travel around a lot. A kitchen is a kitchen. Regardless where it is.
But she has specifically told you she wants to live in the UK, not Cambodia, like any sensible Thai woman would, especially if she has children.
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

Cam Nivag wrote:
RJG2016 wrote: No problem Her settling anywhere. She's been in the UK for near 9 years and we travel around a lot. A kitchen is a kitchen. Regardless where it is.
But she has specifically told you she wants to live in the UK, not Cambodia, like any sensible Thai woman would, especially if she has children.
That is Her preference but we are still talking about alternatives. Present day UK is not a good place to be. Some school classes are full of kids that don't speak English. The English speaking kids are neglected because of immigrants.

It's violent. Cold and unfriendly. But, I don't want to drift off topic. I would like sound info on the PP expat scene and anything else that might make us come and see the place.

So, still looking for info on Chinese food supplies in PP. And any other input.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

This company has hundreds of Chinese food items:

http://www.lshcambodia.com/

They are the largest catering and supermarket supplier in the Kingdom.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You can buy Chinese food supplies in almost any local shop or market. There might be some difficulty though as you will be an immigrant who can't speak the language.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic