Thinking of moving to Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
RJG2016
Expatriate

Re: Thinking of moving to Phnom Penh

Post by RJG2016 »

beaker wrote:Waste of time to check it out first or even make plans as it's so simple and easy here. Just buy a restuarant and the locals will do all the work for peanuts and you can rake in the dough. Especially if you cook up some of that delicious british food.
Haha, I detect a bit of sarcasm there mate.

I'm not a complete newbie to Cambodia. I was an ex-pat there myself years ago. But not Phnom Penh. Quite enjoyed it but the bright lights of Thailand lured me back!
crummyjuggler
Expatriate

Post by crummyjuggler »

Your food looks tasty but you will have same problem finding reliable staff that can learn a new skill set. No kitchen cook can read, write or understand English. Staff will play games on phone waiting for customers to magically appear then ignore them. You will sell beer at cost because everyone else does. If you are successful, your rent will be increased.
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

crummyjuggler wrote:Your food looks tasty but you will have same problem finding reliable staff that can learn a new skill set. No kitchen cook can read, write or understand English. Staff will play games on phone waiting for customers to magically appear then ignore them. You will sell beer at cost because everyone else does. If you are successful, your rent will be increased.
Sounds exactly like Pattaya! Mobile phone land:)

Me and Her in the kitchen. No cook required mate. Took my Wife six years in 4 different UK Chinese restaurants to learn this. I don't expect a Khmer to pick this up quickly, if at all. Just a bit of service out front. And maybe delivery.

Our problem here was I couldn't help because of the strict work laws. Some nights She cooked more than 100 sit in and take away meals single handedly. While 4 Thais in the kitchen getting 10,000 Baht a Month each looked on. And watched Her. Our total wage bill was 80,000 Baht a Month and most utterly useless.

I know about the cost price beer. Although, spirits, wines are fairly cheap and quality. Used to be.

Yes, electricity double pricing scams. Rent increases. Been through that in Cambo mate.
Last edited by RJG2016 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

RJG2016 wrote:
crummyjuggler wrote:Your food looks tasty but you will have same problem finding reliable staff that can learn a new skill set. No kitchen cook can read, write or understand English. Staff will play games on phone waiting for customers to magically appear then ignore them. You will sell beer at cost because everyone else does. If you are successful, your rent will be increased.

Me and Her in the kitchen. No cook required mate. Took my Wife six years in 4 different UK Chinese restaurants to learn this. I don't expect a Khmer to pick this up quickly. Just a bit of service out front. And maybe delivery.
Read the red text a few times , believe it it happens here way too often.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

beaker wrote:
RJG2016 wrote:

Me and Her in the kitchen. No cook required mate. Took my Wife six years in 4 different UK Chinese restaurants to learn this. I don't expect a Khmer to pick this up quickly. Just a bit of service out front. And maybe delivery.
Read the red text a few times , believe it it happens here way too often.
Yes, I can imagine. My mate sold His bar here for peanuts in LK Metro. Rent increased from 20,000 Baht to 70,000 Baht a Month. Happens here too mate.

We were lucky. We had great landlords and made a decent profit when we sold. My Wife used quite an expensive Lawyer here to negotiate our leases and put clauses in against rent rises etc. It paid off.

I understand it's no different in Cambodia. And I understand business anywhere is a risk. I've lost in the UK than and actually profited in Asia. Nothing's guaranteed anywhere.

We need to know whether it's worth a look. She's badgering me to go back to the UK. I've got local businessmen here offering deals on our food and one in Bangkok. I'd preferably not have any partners or associates though. My experience with this is not positive. No offence intended to the fellows were talking to at the moment though.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

If she doesn't like Thailand she really won't like Cambodia imho
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

beaker wrote:If she doesn't like Thailand she really won't like Cambodia imho
She loves Thailand. She's cheesed off after being let down for 2+ years by Thais in the kitchen. My Wife has lived in Cambodia with me in the past. Not PP though. And She fitted in quite well. Was even starting to pick up the language.

I understand why She wants to go back to the UK. For the kids sake. But the UK isn't the place it used to be. IMHO.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

If for the kids sake, then she really really really won't like it here.
If something happens you will never be able to forgive yourself.
jimi hendrix
RJG2016
Expatriate

Post by RJG2016 »

beaker wrote:If for the kids sake, then she really really really won't like it here.
If something happens you will never be able to forgive yourself.
I don't exactly think the UK is safe these days either beaker.

Is it really that bad? Like I said it's been a long time since we visited PP but we stayed in Cambodia years ago. And it was OK. No different from here. People were nice. Made plenty friends among the ex-pats. I found most Khmer's as a race far more genuine and open than most Thais I've had experience with. And I've been coming to Thailand more than 17 years now. I was pleasantly surprised by Khmer people. Maybe I read them wrong but I don't think so. Good and bad like everywhere else though.

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming. Especially if you are a PP expat and know the City.

Business locations
Schools
Ex-pat community size in PP
etc.

Cheers.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Business locations. Just about anywhere might work. Depends on whether your focus is on delivery or dine-in. If delivery, then it probably doesn't matter.
As you already noted, there are a lot of restaurants/bars in close proximity to the riverside, however, there are some successful expat run restaurants in the Toul Tom Pong area (Russian Market) as well as other areas of the city. If you want to focus on the bar and dine-in, then perhaps the night life areas might be better.
A note about staff: Thais are smarter than Khmers. Good luck finding motivated, service-oriented Khmer staff.

Schools. The top end schools are pricey. One school you might find suitable, with qualified foreign teachers is http://www.footprintsschool.edu.kh/
Tuition fees: http://www.footprintsschool.edu.kh/scho ... ition.html

Expat community. The demographics have changed a lot over the past 10 years. More and more business professionals here now than previously.

You'll get a better idea when you come to check things out.

Is your wife Thai? Thais generally find Phnom Penh pretty grotty.

P.S Your food looks good. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic