Where to find good gin in Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Macmullo
Expatriate
Canada

Where to find good gin in Phnom Penh?

Post by Macmullo »

Anyone have any ideas on where to buy some good gin in phnom Penh?
I've seen some bars carrying Ungava from Canada, and Hendricks gin, but I'm finding it hard to find a shop that sells it.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Macmullo
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Where to find good gin in PP?

Post by Macmullo »

cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Dragging up an old thread as there were no answers.

Additionally, anyone have a favourite gin that is available in PP and where to get it? Also, what about the tonic? No point buying a great gin then mixing it with Schweppes

Finally, are there any locally produced gins around? If yes, are they worth trying?

Thanks all
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Calling the Satan of Gins, GM...:beer:
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

that genius wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:09 pm Calling the Satan of Gins, GM...:beer:
GM doesn't know shit about Gin! He thinks Bombay is top shelf, and I've had to educate him.

Larry's has/had 'Botanist' gin which is probably one of my favourites, and I've had 'Monkey 47' at Oskar's before which is also pretty special

On a side note, i think it was bar 104 that were selling shots of 'Patrón' tequila for only $4 :thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:09 pm
that genius wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:09 pm Calling the Satan of Gins, GM...:beer:
GM doesn't know shit about Gin! He thinks Bombay is top shelf, and I've had to educate him.

Larry's has/had 'Botanist' gin which is probably one of my favourites, and I've had 'Monkey 47' at Oskar's before which is also pretty special

On a side note, i think it was bar 104 that were selling shots of 'Patrón' tequila for only $4 :thumb:
Tbf Bombay is a decent lower-mid range gin. Apparently beaten by Aldi's £10 offering in a blind taste test.

I don't mind Monkey 47 but for the price I don't really think it is worth it. Pretty sure I have never had botanist.

VII hills used to be my favourite, haven't tried it since they moved production to Italy. I assume there is pretty much no chance of getting that here though.

Of the more popular I would choose a Sipsmith or Tanqueray 10 over a Hendricks, but would like to try a locally produced one. some great gins could be made what with all the botanicals out here.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Elephant Bar Le Royal reputedly have more than 30 different Gins, including their Sipsmith 1915 https://www.raffles.com/raffles-1915-gin/

They had an event on early this month: Meet the famed mixologist, Beam Suntory Brand Ambassador, Jamey Merkel on Friday 2nd of February. Jamey would be creating signature cocktails with the Japanese Craft Gin, Roku, which is a new addition to the premium Gins and a hot favourite amongst Gin lovers. https://www.facebook.com/events/566367137051163/
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:56 pm Elephant Bar Le Royal reputedly have more than 30 different Gins, including their Sipsmith 1915 https://www.raffles.com/raffles-1915-gin/

They had an event on early this month: Meet the famed mixologist, Beam Suntory Brand Ambassador, Jamey Merkel on Friday 2nd of February. Jamey would be creating signature cocktails with the Japanese Craft Gin, Roku, which is a new addition to the premium Gins and a hot favourite amongst Gin lovers. https://www.facebook.com/events/566367137051163/
Yes they have got a huge variety of gin including the Sipsmiths, Ungava, Tanqueray 10 & many others. They also make an amazing G&T with decent tonic (east imperial iirc) with lemongrass and kaffir lime leaf bitters. One of the best I have ever had, a little too drinkable!

Would like to find a retailer that sells it for a reasonable price though, I suppose I could always ask the bar staff.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

OK, my bad, maybe try miguelito or ricecakes

I don't like white spirits, give me cramps

Only exception was expensive Russian vodka, $35/500 ml, but super-smooth
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Would like to find a retailer that sells it for a reasonable price though, I suppose I could always ask the bar staff.
Have you used Grocerydelivery.Asia ? Its mentioned on this thread general-chatter/online-grocery-phnom-pe ... t8351.html Dont know anything about it myself.

They have a number of gins for delivery including Ciroc $28, Tanqueray no 10 $26.32, and Hendricks $34.72. Check here: https://grocerydelivery.asia/alcohol/spirits.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic