One Bulgarian and One Romanian Busted In Siem Reap for Stealing Lots of Money From ABA's ATM

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

One Bulgarian and One Romanian Busted In Siem Reap for Stealing Lots of Money From ABA's ATM

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

According to freshnewsasia, two foreigners, a Romanian and a Bulgarian busted in Siem Reap for stealing Cambodian ATM PIN codes and withdrew a lot of money from ABA’s ATM.

Police said the arrest of the two foreigners was carried after the investigation and confession by the foreigners on 30 January 2016 at police station in Siem Reap. During the arrest of the two foreigners, who have been reported to have stolen Cambodian PIN code and withdrew a lot of money at ABA’s ATM located at Art Center Market, police had cooperated with ABA Bank.

Police said, the two foreigners had been withdrawing the money from the ATM a few times already, on 5 and 6 December 2016. They stole the ATM PIN codes at Art Center Market and Monorum Chas restaurant and then they withdrew the money in Laos. They said they only withdrew 13700 USD, but according to Cambodian victims, they have lost 21000 USD.

Note, on 26 December 2015 these two foreigners came to steal the ATM PIN codes at the Art Center Market. Tourism polices had involved in arresting these two foreigners too.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: One Bulgarian and One Romanian Busted In Siem Reap for Stealing Lots of Money From ABA's ATM

Post by General Mackevili »

They were scanning card info. Sneaky bastards.

Nice to see what they equipment looks like.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: One Bulgarian and One Romanian Busted In Siem Reap for Stealing Lots of Money From ABA's ATM

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bumped into some people here in sihanoukville today outside the salon i go to to get a cut n shave, they told me their card had been scanned and all the money taken out their account twice (bank sorted it out but, have to be careful) not sure if it was here or SR where it happened
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: One Bulgarian and One Romanian Busted In Siem Reap for Stealing Lots of Money From ABA's ATM

Jamie_Lambo wrote:bumped into some people here in sihanoukville today outside the salon i go to to get a cut n shave, they told me their card had been scanned and all the money taken out their account twice (bank sorted it out but, have to be careful) not sure if it was here or SR where it happened
These 2 fools owe them some money.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

This is why it pays to be pretty vigorous when testing an ATM card slot for tampering before using it. Ideally, you want to use a machine that's inside a bank where it's harder to tamper with. The worst choices are those temporary machines attached to shops but outside in their own little kiosks.

Never let anyone run your card out of your sight. Never let them swipe your card in two machines inside a store (the second one is the cloning machine).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

I wish I had a pic of one I used in Ethiopia. It was literally sitting on cinder blocks.

Another thing that happened a lot there was the ATM would "time out" after you'd put in your pin and were waiting for your cash. Then it would go back to the default screen and spit out your card like nothing happened. No error messages. No receipt. Nothing.

Sketch central.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

It's amazing how many people punch in their PIN numbers using one finger while standing back from the machine. WTF? It's totally readable. I lean into the machine, position fingers of both hands over the numbers in a particular pattern and "touch-type" the numbers in totally without looking. Takes some practice but I feel a little bit more secure.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

ATM scammers thwarted in Siem Reap

A Romanian and a Bulgarian were arrested at the weekend for allegedly installing card-skimming devices at ATMs in Siem Reap, one of which they used to withdraw more than $10,000 in cash in neighbouring Laos.

According to Hok Bunhav, a deputy chief with Siem Reap police, the pair set up their first skimming operation at an Advanced Bank of Asia (ABA) ATM near Monorom restaurant in Siem Reap between January 5 and 6, using one device to record account numbers and another to lift users’ pin codes.

The equipment in place, the pair travelled to Laos and withdrew $10,000 before returning to tamper with another ABA machine near the Art Centre on January 26, where they were caught four days later after a tip-off by the bank, according to Bunhav.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... -siem-reap
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Even the Khmer Made-Up Times has picked it up:

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/20855/ ... atm-theft/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic