Why should/should not date with barang?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why should/should not date with barang?

Post by nemo »

Perhaps you chaps did not catch the fact that the young sprat was "taking the piss " a la Gavin Mac 7 things?
It is an almost a verbatim homage.
And it raised as much ire!
A fine template for trolling.
While you heap scorn upon him, he was perhaps too subtle for your wit.
"Good on him" I say.
Touche'
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

nemo wrote:Perhaps you chaps did not catch the fact that the young sprat was "taking the piss " a la Gavin Mac 7 things?
It is an almost a verbatim homage.
And it raised as much ire!
A fine template for trolling.
While you heap scorn upon him, he was perhaps too subtle for your wit.
"Good on him" I say.
Touche'

The only thing I take seriously is the Comedy Channel. Why would I take Samouth seriously.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Username Taken wrote:
Samouth wrote:Seven reasons you really should not date barang

1. They are stink and unhygienic
Generally westerners don't like taking shower and they are likely to skip shower before going to bed especially after a big drinking night. We, Asian, seem to take more shower that Westerner. Guess what, most of them don't flush the the toilet after they shit. :facepalm:

2. They are annoying.
If you are talking to your Cambodian friends or relatives, you will have to translate everything to him, otherwise he would suspect that you might say something about him to your friends or relative.

3. They will not survive without air-conditioning
Generally Cambodia is a hot country while western countries are basically cold. They will not be able to spend a night or two at your parents house, if you are from the province.

4. They can't accompany you to pagoda.
Sitting like we normally do in the pagoda for just 15 mins, they would say they are done with it. They need to go home. They are generally spoiled.

5. You are more likely to meed alcoholic.
It is really hard to tell when they are in their suit and tie. For the first and second dates, you will not be able to tell if the person is an alcoholic, however after you get married, you will slowly learn that your husband doesn't just drink on the Friday night. Tips for you little salary, if you have a chance visiting your boyfriend house, you should search in the trash bin, if there are empty bottles of Gin or Vodka.

6. They are really disorganized.
You will spend hours and hours ordering the room as they would just drop stuff all over the place.

7. They are too tall
Walking hand in hand along the road, people would give you strange look as it seems like you are walking with a tree. We, Cambodian, are generally short. So, they generally can't make perfect couple. ហាវ អេ វើ there are សាំ ស្សូត ហ្វ័ររ៉ែនណឺ សាច់ អះ Jamie អែន General Mackevili អូរ អល់សូរ Cam Nivang, They actually make me feel good about my ហាយ។
You're obviously hanging out with the wrong crowd Samouth! :facepalm:

What Duncan said. :thumb: :plus1:
haha, UT, i actually wrote this up according to what i read on the forum. :facepalm:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

asp wrote:Nice bit of racism Samouth. I believe the real reason for his xenophobic list is that his posts have been largely ill conceived and poorly received. Quite a tirade from a local who should join the Mormons to clean up the shit his compatriots strew along the byways of this K of W.
I am not being racist and xenophobic. I was just taking the piss of Gavin Mac's article about seven reasons you should not date Cambodian woman. Would it help you a little bit if i share the link with you?
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
jessy101
Expatriate

Post by jessy101 »

My mum never forced me to do the things I don't want esp married life. I see that's why my single life still on Lolz I want being in couple but I'm afraid he take all my freedom and it might be I'm over qualify!!
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

jessy101 wrote:My mum never forced me to do the things I don't want esp married life. I see that's why my single life still on Lolz I want being in couple but I'm afraid he take all my freedom and it might be I'm over qualify!!
Jessy, from your experience, do you see alot of highly educated Khmer girls who have trouble finding a Khmer man to marry who accepts a girl who wants to work and not just stay at home and only be a housewife/mother?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jessy101
Expatriate

Post by jessy101 »

Yes my friends and some women around me.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

jessy101 wrote:Yes my friends and some women around me.
Does your family put some pressure on you to get married and have kids soon? I think an unmarried woman over age 30 is rare in Khmer culture until very recently. As more women go to University and have good paying careers, older, unmarried women will become much more common.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jessy101
Expatriate

Post by jessy101 »

Rutiger wrote:
Does your family put some pressure on you to get married and have kids soon? I think an unmarried woman over age 30 is rare in Khmer culture until very recently. As more women go to University and have good paying careers, older, unmarried women will become much more common.
I can say no. Got a high education got a good career. Life is belong to us not the others. No pressure in the family. And the family don't care about it. Weself we did care but nothing we can do. We could not go out there to find a man oh no we could not do that because the brain from the education not allowed us to do. that's embarrassed.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

jessy101 wrote:
Rutiger wrote:
I can say no. Got a high education got a good career. Life is belong to us not the others. No pressure in the family. And the family don't care about it. Weself we did care but nothing we can do. We could not go out there to find a man oh no we could not do that because the brain from the education not allowed us to do. that's embarrassed.
Part of being a modern, educated, confident woman means also having the courage to take more control of your relationships and take proactive steps to find the kind of man who deserves and respects the qualities you have without feeling the need to control every aspect of your life. You should never be embarassed about taking that control in your love life. That initiatve has been the sole responsibility of the men for too long. Don't just wait for him to come find you.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic