Why should/should not date with barang?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Why should/should not date with barang?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I'm confused. What the difference between Netflix and chill? Is the Netflix kind of movie?
Netflix is a video streaming service. To watch Netflix you must subscribe and pay a monthly fee. It has tons of movies and TV shows you can watch whenever you want from your own computer or smart phone over the internet. You need decent, high speed internet service, though. I don't know if Netflix is available in Cambodia yet.

"Chill" just means to relax and hang out. But apparently when you combine the words "Netflix and chill", it becomes an invite to come over and have sex, not just watch a movie together. I never heard that term before either but it's a younger generation thing and not for old farts like me. I still refer to any couple getting together as a "date", whether it's out to a restaurant or staying in and doing whatever. But I'm a square and not a cool hipster like Jamie. %)
i explained to her over facebook and now she understands :twisted:

im not a "hipster" just because i know a very popular phrase, i just used the phase as an example of what people do now-a-days, ive never used it myself, but im 28, and would have been living under a rock if id never heard of the expression "netflix and chill" before :thumb:

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Yes, now I understand it. Thank you, Rutiger and Jamie.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Seven reasons you really should not date barang

1. They are stink and unhygienic
Generally westerners don't like taking shower and they are likely to skip shower before going to bed especially after a big drinking night. We, Asian, seem to take more shower that Westerner. Guess what, most of them don't flush the the toilet after they shit. :facepalm:

2. They are annoying.
If you are talking to your Cambodian friends or relatives, you will have to translate everything to him, otherwise he would suspect that you might say something about him to your friends or relative.

3. They will not survive without air-conditioning
Generally Cambodia is a hot country while western countries are basically cold. They will not be able to spend a night or two at your parents house, if you are from the province.

4. They can't accompany you to pagoda.
Sitting like we normally do in the pagoda for just 15 mins, they would say they are done with it. They need to go home. They are generally spoiled.

5. You are more likely to meed alcoholic.
It is really hard to tell when they are in their suit and tie. For the first and second dates, you will not be able to tell if the person is an alcoholic, however after you get married, you will slowly learn that your husband doesn't just drink on the Friday night. Tips for you little salary, if you have a chance visiting your boyfriend house, you should search in the trash bin, if there are empty bottles of Gin or Vodka.

6. They are really disorganized.
You will spend hours and hours ordering the room as they would just drop stuff all over the place.

7. They are too tall
Walking hand in hand along the road, people would give you strange look as it seems like you are walking with a tree. We, Cambodian, are generally short. So, they generally can't make perfect couple. ហាវ អេ វើ there are សាំ ស្សូត ហ្វ័ររ៉ែនណឺ សាច់ អះ Jamie អែន General Mackevili អូរ អល់សូរ Cam Nivang, They actually make me feel good about my ហាយ។
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Attention to all Barang girls'

Why you should NOT date a Khmer man'

1 ] They stink and are unhygienic cause the cannot afford soap and deodorant and they take showers in the Tonlie Sap After a night of drinking cheap rice wine they don't even shower. Most villagers don't even have a toilet let alone a flush toilet.

2 ] They are annoying cause if you open a map everyone want to look at it and if you are reading a newspaper they want to look at it over your shoulder, even when the cannot read English.

3] They cannot survive in the cold. They think cold is cold when they look in the fridge, not knowing that cold is when there is more than six inches of snow on the ground.

4] They want to celebrate Christmas and don't even know that it is a Christian religion celebration. They wont go to church with you cause they cannot eat rice there.

5 ] If you date a Cambodian guy , go with him to the village and check out his parents house for cheap rice wine and then check the pig house where they make the stuff.

6 ] They are really really disorganized. Check out any intersection and you will know how your life will be until after your divorce.
\
7 ] They are too short . Imagine being in bed with a Cambodian, while he is looking at your navel , you will be looking at the top of his head, counting the head lice.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Samouth wrote:Seven reasons you really should not date barang

1. They are stink and unhygienic
Generally westerners don't like taking shower and they are likely to skip shower before going to bed especially after a big drinking night. We, Asian, seem to take more shower that Westerner. Guess what, most of them don't flush the the toilet after they shit. :facepalm:

2. They are annoying.
If you are talking to your Cambodian friends or relatives, you will have to translate everything to him, otherwise he would suspect that you might say something about him to your friends or relative.

3. They will not survive without air-conditioning
Generally Cambodia is a hot country while western countries are basically cold. They will not be able to spend a night or two at your parents house, if you are from the province.

4. They can't accompany you to pagoda.
Sitting like we normally do in the pagoda for just 15 mins, they would say they are done with it. They need to go home. They are generally spoiled.

5. You are more likely to meed alcoholic.
It is really hard to tell when they are in their suit and tie. For the first and second dates, you will not be able to tell if the person is an alcoholic, however after you get married, you will slowly learn that your husband doesn't just drink on the Friday night. Tips for you little salary, if you have a chance visiting your boyfriend house, you should search in the trash bin, if there are empty bottles of Gin or Vodka.

6. They are really disorganized.
You will spend hours and hours ordering the room as they would just drop stuff all over the place.

7. They are too tall
Walking hand in hand along the road, people would give you strange look as it seems like you are walking with a tree. We, Cambodian, are generally short. So, they generally can't make perfect couple. ហាវ អេ វើ there are សាំ ស្សូត ហ្វ័ររ៉ែនណឺ សាច់ អះ Jamie អែន General Mackevili អូរ អល់សូរ Cam Nivang, They actually make me feel good about my ហាយ។
You're obviously hanging out with the wrong crowd Samouth! :facepalm:

What Duncan said. :thumb: :plus1:
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Surely dating is for youngsters, few of whom frequent this place- though certainly there are many naives.
(sp. knaves? )
What?
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Samouth wrote: Guess what, most of them don't flush the the toilet after they shit. :facepalm:
Well, he's got us all accurately sussed right there, doesn't he? Stellar observation by the young, well-travelled prodigy. He's been to Singapore for goodness sake so he knows a thing or two!

Actually, what Samouth doesn't seem to grasp, is that us barang are so rich that we never bother to flush a toilet after use. We just pay some locals to replace the whole thing for us after every bowel movement and cart the entire used commode away.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

well that escalated slowly, 16 pages to be exact
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The questions of hygiene raised from both sides of the cultural divide are quite valid, but like most polemics address the lowest demographic sampling of generalisation.
The uncouth are always with us in every country.
At Sandringham if one neglects to flush, a vigilant steward will attend at once.
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Nice bit of racism Samouth. I believe the real reason for his xenophobic list is that his posts have been largely ill conceived and poorly received. Quite a tirade from a local who should join the Mormons to clean up the shit his compatriots strew along the byways of this K of W.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic