Cops in Sihanoukville be getting serious

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Raybull
Expatriate

Cops in Sihanoukville be getting serious

Post by Raybull »

Third big roadblock with breathalyzers at around 9pm in the last month or so. Good thing nobody leaves the KTVs drunk before midnight! :facepalm: General roadblocks with searches are nearly a nightly event now aswell.
https://www.facebook.com/Preahsihanoukpolice/?ref=br_rs
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Cops in Shv be getting serious

Post by General Mackevili »

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

where abouts have these road blocks been? ive not come across any, but then again i dont normally go out until around 9pm anyway,
i was starting to think the opposite as ive driven past quite a few coppers recently near the lions and downtown and not been whistled at or pulled, even the guys lingering around in the road with their batons leave me alone,
not that it makes much difference as i wasnt breaking any offences, but i was expecting a random white guy "license check" they love doing to the tourists
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Has been a rumor for near a year now about this. They apparently were doing stops around 7 or 8pm before. Breathalyzers donated by the Aus police or something ( probably not calibrated or accurate ) This must be on main st yes?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Fourkinnel wrote:Has been a rumor for near a year now about this. They apparently were doing stops around 7 or 8pm before. Breathalyzers donated by the Aus police or something ( probably not calibrated or accurate ) This must be on main st yes?
yeah the police only work on the main street, thank god for all the back streets i can get from near victory hill all the way to serendipity without seeing a single copper, you go the back streets from charlie hapers/ct clinic road, then come out near the market go down across past the total garage, past snooky bar, take the next right, takes you out at the sunday guesthouse junction then its clean runnings to the beach, you can repeat process if necessary, by slowly going round the wrong way at the round about along the outside, i dont always do it as i dont need to, but on occasions i have, where i live is a great location to avoid all the cop stop areas
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I always like crossing the swamp on the drainpipe and coming out behind the big mother hotel with the water park. Its a winner.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Fourkinnel wrote:Has been a rumor for near a year now about this. They apparently were doing stops around 7 or 8pm before. Breathalyzers donated by the Aus police or something ( probably not calibrated or accurate ) This must be on main st yes?
yeah the police only work on the main street, thank god for all the back streets i can get from near victory hill all the way to serendipity without seeing a single copper, you go the back streets from charlie hapers/ct clinic road, then come out near the market go down across past the total garage, past snooky bar, take the next right, takes you out at the sunday guesthouse junction then its clean runnings to the beach, you can repeat process if necessary, by slowly going round the wrong way at the round about along the outside, i dont always do it as i dont need to, but on occasions i have, where i live is a great location to avoid all the cop stop areas
Warning: Sunday GH corner - they are not there often, but it happens.

Btw, anyone know how much the drunk driving fine is "officially" ? I guess it's in the 200 page doc of the New Traffic Law, but if anyone knows offhand ?
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Warning: Sunday GH corner - they are not there often, but it happens.

Btw, anyone know how much the drunk driving fine is "officially" ? I guess it's in the 200 page doc of the New Traffic Law, but if anyone knows offhand ?
Up to $1000 and six months in chokey, apparently:

Under the new Traffic Law’s harsher guidelines, Rathveasna said, drunk drivers can face from one to six months in jail and fines ranging from about $200 to $1,000, but sentencing is a matter for the court.

From the PPP: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... sults-cops
Last edited by cptrelentless on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

For comparision the UK and US rate is 0.80 for blood

Cambodian rates are at two tiers with the higher rate being the same as the UK/US at 0.80 but the lower rate of 0.50 means you cannot legally drive, they can take your vehicle away from you and give you 3 points on your licence but no monetary fine as far as I can make out

40kg women drinking 1 beer would test around 0.5
40kg women drinking 2 beers would test around 0.9
80kg man drinking 2 beers would test around 0.4
80kg man drinking 3 beers would test around 0.7
***all depending on how quickly they are drunk***

Following edited for clarity as the original document gets microgrammes/milligrammes and loads of other shit all mixed up.

Article 8:
Drivers of all kinds of vehicles shall implement the following measures:

Consumption of liquor with the alcoholic rate of 0.25 for air or 0.50 for blood and above shall be banned when driving.

Article 43:
All driving licenses shall possess a score card with 12 marks and these marks shall be deducted each time the drivers violate the traffic regulations, as follows:

3 marks - driving under the influence of alcohol at the rate from 0.25 to 0.39 for air or 0.50 to 0.79 for blood
6 marks - driving under the influence of alcohol at the rate of or over 0.40 for air or 0.80 for blood, or under the influence of drugs

Article 66:
Traffic police officers shall ban the vehicles in question from running or detain them for a temporary period not longer than three days for inspection and modification of the technical specifications based on the traffic violations committed by the drivers, as follows:

The vehicles whose drivers are under the influence of alcohol in the rate between 0.25 and 0.39 for air, or between 0.50 mg and 0.79 for blood, or under the influence of drug.

Article 77:
Any persons, who are driving under the influence with alcoholic rate of 0.40 or above per liter for air, or 0.80 or above for blood, shall be subject to being imprisoned from one to six months and being fined from Riel 800,000 to Riel 4,000,000
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

enough of the small talk, how many long islands can i have before the coppers are gonna give me a slap on the wrists?!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic