Tourist Areas You Should Avoid in Southeast Asia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Tourist Areas You Should Avoid in Southeast Asia

Post by Anchor Moy »

Article from Associated Press on how Luang Prabang "lost its soul" : Jan 28, 2016
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

good write up;

I was first there in 2002,
Last there in 2013
wont go back

The monks out in the morning collecting food/alms has become totally fucked,
few years ago the monks said they would stop their morning walk but the local government said they would hire actors to do it as it brings in the tourist.
Its disgusting seeing the people photographing (and i am a photographer) the monks and buying old food from the locals to give to the monks who then turn around an give it to the kids or give it back to the locals to sell back to the tourists

The night market is crazy
there are some great places to sat and eat thou

I have only been recently ( 2012, 2013 ) in the summer and hate to think what its like in the winter
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I go to Luang Prabang 2-3 a year and love it.

Yes, the circus with the Monks is disgusting but there are still plenty of places to have a good feed and a nice, cold Beer Lao.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

phuketrichard wrote:good write up;

I was first there in 2002,
Last there in 2013
wont go back

The monks out in the morning collecting food/alms has become totally fucked,
few years ago the monks said they would stop their morning walk but the local government said they would hire actors to do it as it brings in the tourist.
Its disgusting seeing the people photographing (and i am a photographer) the monks and buying old food from the locals to give to the monks who then turn around an give it to the kids or give it back to the locals to sell back to the tourists

The night market is crazy
there are some great places to sat and eat thou

I have only been recently ( 2012, 2013 ) in the summer and hate to think what its like in the winter
What's the point of hiring actors when there's already monks there?
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

bkktrapper wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: The monks out in the morning collecting food/alms has become totally fucked,
What's the point of hiring actors when there's already monks there?
This is what happens when spend all your time in the ceiling.
When the monks threatened to strike because of all the tourists treating them like Disney characters, the govt said they would replace them with scabs/actors. Tourists rule.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

OK. Makes sense .

Should be public information.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

sigmoid wrote:
Been to all of them and mostly agree but take Vang Vieng off this list. All the bars along river but two have been shut down and rope swings of death removed so no more dead tourists. I rented a mountain bike and crossed the bridge and found some of the most beautiful country side in SE Asia. Plus cheap food and lodging, even found a brothel out on the highway north of town. Love it there.
Yes, that's right. VV was cleaned up about 2 years ago already after an Australian diplomat's son became a casualty, or so I heard somewhere.

Here are a couple of articles from that time:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/travel/ ... 10992.html

http://www.eturbonews.com/30814/laos-cl ... vang-vieng

So, the place is a lot quieter now. There are still bars in town and some backpackers, but the place is going upmarket with a large hotel (five star?) being built near the river and Koreans and Chinese couples and families outnumbering the hippies/druggies/boozehounds.

Still, most of the problems of mass tourism are there lurking in the background and further development will likely ruin the place in a different way. The road there is still a mess so that will keep numbers manageable hopefully. And so far the govt there seem to be keeping the doors to Laos shut to the huge multinational corporations that destroy the uniqueness of a country.
The hippies were never the issue in VV, it was the frat boys and chavs who turned it into minor hell hole. Although if it's being overrun by package tourists and 5 star abominations it has found a much worse way of undermining its good qualities.

Pattaya, Kuta, Manila? All crowded, polluted and bland, it's a pretty good list if it suggest avoiding them. Add the Riverside to the list.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Wot no snookyville?
StephanieG
Tourist

Post by StephanieG »

hanno wrote:What a useless article..... The criteria used would put pretty much every town in SE Asia on the list.
haha, true, Saigon is bustling, many tourists were robbed, but i think it's still an interesting place to visit
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic