Good n' cheap tasty sources of protein

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Good n' cheap tasty sources of protein

Post by Duncan »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Jerry Atrick wrote:Tofu is fine infused in a spicy curry or well flavoured stir fry but, as pointed out, is pretty tasteless otherwise.

I eat a dish with tofu, pork and watercress stir fried quite a lot, it's good. Similarly I eat a lot of Indian dishes with tofu substituted for meat/paneer.

$2.50 buys enough tofu for a human to eat for a week here.
For those who can't stand tofu; lentils,beans and chickpeas are good sources of protein and can be very tasty
. A tin is about $1.20
and if you add meat and/or veges it will feed 2 people. Not as cheap as tofu but much tastier. Make good salads too.

Extremely easy recipe to cook in a fry pan: Fry some sausages (I like Dan Meat beef sausages because they're spicy and not fatty) or some bacon, add onion, garlic, cumin powder and curry powder, capisicum chopped finely and black pepper - when that looks good, add a chopped tomato - cook a bit then add a tin of lentils, butter beans or chickpeas. Heat and eat. Hint: if you cook it a bit before you want to eat and reheat it will have more flavour.

But why buy a tin, when you can buy dried lentils, mungbeans and chickpeas etc . Keep a supply in a sealed jar and and if you are well organized you can make your own bean sprouts a few days beforehand. Throw into a wok with whatever you have and you will end up with a meal for many for just a few riel.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
Jerry Atrick wrote:Tofu is fine infused in a spicy curry or well flavoured stir fry but, as pointed out, is pretty tasteless otherwise.

I eat a dish with tofu, pork and watercress stir fried quite a lot, it's good. Similarly I eat a lot of Indian dishes with tofu substituted for meat/paneer.

$2.50 buys enough tofu for a human to eat for a week here.
For those who can't stand tofu; lentils,beans and chickpeas are good sources of protein and can be very tasty
. A tin is about $1.20
and if you add meat and/or veges it will feed 2 people. Not as cheap as tofu but much tastier. Make good salads too.

Extremely easy recipe to cook in a fry pan: Fry some sausages (I like Dan Meat beef sausages because they're spicy and not fatty) or some bacon, add onion, garlic, cumin powder and curry powder, capisicum chopped finely and black pepper - when that looks good, add a chopped tomato - cook a bit then add a tin of lentils, butter beans or chickpeas. Heat and eat. Hint: if you cook it a bit before you want to eat and reheat it will have more flavour.

But why buy a tin, when you can buy dried lentils, mungbeans and chickpeas etc . Keep a supply in a sealed jar and and if you are well organized you can make your own bean sprouts a few days beforehand. Throw into a wok with whatever you have and you will end up with a meal for many for just a few riel.
:thumb: Of course, but not everyone is so well organized.
(This was sort of directed in the general direction of those who are lazy and/or disorganized, but still need to eat. :D )
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

My wife likes to get ban chow, a light pancake stuffed with minced pork, onion, bean sprouts and chilly, plus a sticky sauce and lots of green veg. The street vendor sells a large portion (enough for two) for r5000, out at Chroy Changvar. I think this is good value although I think you can get cheaper versions in the city.

Fuzzy pic of my half :D

Clearer pic from the net.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:Image

Tofu dessert

Here is the recipe

May favourite and don't forget to put gingers.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ But, isn't that an ancient Chinese dessert?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Khmer . . All the same anyhow :stir:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Username Taken wrote:^^ But, isn't that an ancient Chinese dessert?
it is.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kuroneko wrote:My wife likes to get ban chow, a light pancake stuffed with minced pork, onion, bean sprouts and chilly, plus a sticky sauce and lots of green veg. The street vendor sells a large portion (enough for two) for r5000, out at Chroy Changvar. I think this is good value although I think you can get cheaper versions in the city.

Fuzzy pic of my half :D

Clearer pic from the net.
a woman used to sell these in shv, not sure shes there anymore, it wasnt minced pork though she used them tiny little shrimps
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Re: RE: Re: Good n' cheap tasty sources of protein

Post by qinjingyou »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:[img]https://scontent-sin1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11169848_667014030098520_3031199513537922744_n.jpg?oh=0d27a9a02303db5954d59acc751ef701&oe=57325793[/img]

Tofu dessert

Here is the recipe

May favourite and don't forget to put gingers.
I may have to try making that.
在见
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Digg3r wrote:I would rather die than eat tofu. Period.

As for eggs, don't believe the hype regarding cholesterol. Eggs are possibly the healthiest source of raw protein.

I heard the cholesterol thing while growing up, but I ate them anyway. I eat at least 4 or 5 eggs a day (because I like eggs, not for protein) and have completely healthy cholesterol levels.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic