Why do you live in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
eriksank
Expatriate

Why do you live in Cambodia?

Post by eriksank »

If you insist on living in Cambodia, there is something here that you seriously like. That also automatically implies that there is something back home that you seriously dislike. I live in Cambodia because I thoroughly detest man-made law and man-made regulations, while there is very little of that in Cambodia. That means that I am pretty much free to do as I please here. Back home is a regulation hell. I really got sick and tired of that.

Cambodia's freedom is under threat too. Some people managed to convince the Cambodian parliament to make driving licenses for motorbikes mandatory. Of course, there is no way that the majority of Cambodian population believes that they should go out of their way, jump through all kinds of hoops and pay all kinds of strange fees, in order to get a driving license and keep riding their motorbikes.

As usual, it were western NGOs again, who browbeat the Cambodian parliament into inventing that stuff: Pagna Kim, country director for the Asia Injury Prevention Fund, said the decision to waive driving tests—-let alone licenses—was a dangerous move, regardless of engine power. What Pagna Kim forgets, is that we don't give a fuck about what she thinks. It is what the Cambodian population thinks, that matters.

It is clear that it is not possible to design a system of parliamentary representation that will not succumb to the control of special interests. Therefore, it is a fallacy to claim that a parliament will end up representing its voters. It won't. Therefore, democracy can only exist in theory. It cannot possibly exist in practice. Since the concept of democracy itself is just nonsense, it is clearly and also an illegitimate method of lawmaking.

The Cambodians are quite lucky that Prime Minister HE intervened, wisely sidelined the western NGOs and their paid-for parliament, and abolished "the new traffic law".

Pagna Kim clearly does not know what would be truly dangerous. Boko Haram means Western Propaganda is Evil. Her kind of NGO is responsible for the fact that we now have the black banner of the jihad floating over half the planet already. If these western NGOs don't stop their little games with other people's parliaments, we will soon have the black banner of the jihad floating over the other half too.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Why do you live in Cambodia?

Post by hanno »

I hope you are taking the piss? Or you need to lay off the drugs! NGO's are responsible for Jihad? That is the silliest thing I have heard in ages.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

We now have the black banner of the jihad floating over half the planet already.
No we don't.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hanno wrote:I hope you are taking the piss? Or you need to lay off the drugs! NGO's are responsible for Jihad? That is the silliest thing I have heard in ages.
More or less what I was thinking :D

eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

hanno wrote:NGO's are responsible for Jihad? That is the silliest thing I have heard in ages.
These NGOs are the ones trying to spread feminism and things like "gender mainstreaming" in Muslim areas. How well does that mix with Islam? That is why these people feel threatened in their way of life and become jihadists. There is nothing as contrary to Islam as a western NGO.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

wow I thought the fact that the western Zionists were bombing the fuck out of there countries and invading but it's actually the feminist fault!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

eriksank wrote:
Cambodia's freedom is under threat too. Some people managed to convince the Cambodian parliament to make driving licenses for motorbikes mandatory. Of course, there is no way that the majority of Cambodian population believes that they should go out of their way, jump through all kinds of hoops and pay all kinds of strange fees, in order to get a driving license and keep riding their motorbikes.
So in what way do you ensure that riders understand and follow the road traffic laws and are competent to ride in a safe manner? In what way do you keep track of repeat offenders and impose bans if necessary?
eriksank wrote: As usual, it were western NGOs again, who browbeat the Cambodian parliament into inventing that stuff: Pagna Kim, country director for the Asia Injury Prevention Fund, said the decision to waive driving tests—-let alone licenses—was a dangerous move, regardless of engine power. What Pagna Kim forgets, is that we don't give a fuck about what she thinks. It is what the Cambodian population thinks, that matters.

No! What matters is how do we effectively reduce road deaths for motorcyclists using the best available evidence. Pagna Kims remark on waiving driving licences being a dangerous move is wholly justifiable.

"According to Chariya, they are the leading cause of death for Cambodian men aged between 15 and 45. When it comes to motorcycle fatalities alone, men aged between 25 and 29 years old account for 40 per cent."http://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/moto ... s-increase

eriksank wrote:
The Cambodians are quite lucky that Prime Minister HE intervened, wisely sidelined the western NGOs and their paid-for parliament, and abolished "the new traffic law".
"Speaking at the inauguration of the Pram Makara overpass in Phnom Penh on Tuesday, Mr. HE said that he would waive the need for a driving test for those with small-engine motorbikes because “there is no need to learn how to drive a motorbike since driving a motorbike is not difficult.”
eriksank wrote: Pagna Kim clearly does not know what would be truly dangerous. Boko Haram means Western Propaganda is Evil. Her kind of NGO is responsible for the fact that we now have the black banner of the jihad floating over half the planet already. If these western NGOs don't stop their little games with other people's parliaments, we will soon have the black banner of the jihad floating over the other half too.
Pagna Kim, country director for the Asia Injury Prevention Fund, said the decision to waive driving tests—-let alone licenses—was a dangerous move, regardless of engine power.

“If we talk about safety measures it is not a good idea at all,” he said. “We should provide some kind of training on key driving skills before we give them a motorcycle driving license.”
Rights group Adhoc issued a statement on Wednesday, before Mr. HE’s Facebook post, calling for the government to postpone the issuing of licenses in order to give people time to learn the laws and take driving tests.

“Otherwise, the issuance of licenses is worthless and…we will not be able to prevent and reduce traffic accidents,” it said.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/no-l ... es-104644/

Sensible or not? I dont know if you drive a MC in Phnom Penh or for how long. I have been driving here for 20 years and do around 1000km a month in Phnom Penh. Over the last year the driving has got insane and any measures to reduce road deaths and improve driving is sorely needed. There are people working seriously on the issue.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

They clearly need road safety awareness in the schools, the older generation are a dead loss, you need to catch the youth and try and instil some sense into them.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

The if-then-therefore logic in the OP reminds me a bit of that scene in the Holy Grail, where, beginning with the observation that 'witches burn,' they reason that witches are made of wood (which also burns), thus floats on water (like wood), and therefore must weigh as much as a duck, which also floats on water.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic