Prahok for export market ?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Prahok for export market ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Image Image
Prahok for export? Definitely a niche market.
The soul of traditional Khmer cuisine resides in a barrel of pungent fermented fish paste whose signature aroma is loved by most Cambodians as much as it is loathed by most foreigners. Prahok, a concoction of crushed and salted fish left to ferment until it acquires its potent distinction, is a versatile condiment served with nearly every meal.

Produced each year between December and March when thousands of trey riel, a type of small mud carp, swarm into Cambodia’s rivers, prahok originated as a way of preserving fish for the leaner months in villages where even today refrigeration is uncommon.

But its production cycle – involving murky water, rotting fish mash and crude processing techniques – leaves a whole lot that can go wrong. And given prahok’s odiferous qualities, telling the difference between a good batch and one that has “gone off” can prove challenging.

To protect consumers – and to open the door for exports – the government has drawn up the first-ever industry standard for Cambodian prahok producers. The new standard, introduced in September, defines the characteristics of traditional prahok, including its accepted colour, odour and preparation process, while setting limits on chemical additives and pathogen counts. Samples of the product must be analysed in licensed laboratories before receiving certification...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... urite-food
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Prahok for export market ?

Post by AE86 »

I remember seeing it at a few Cambodian marts in Long Beach before.
-insert signature here
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, I've only ever seen it in Khmer grocery stores. I guess that's who they're targeting, the diaspora.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

I love the taste, but those pictures make me vomit and I will struggle too eat again until that vision has left my brain.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Babble wrote:I love the taste, but those pictures make me vomit and I will struggle too eat again until that vision has left my brain.
I hate the stuff and just this week I found a jar in my fridge :bad: :bad:
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

hanno wrote:
Babble wrote:I love the taste, but those pictures make me vomit and I will struggle too eat again until that vision has left my brain.
I hate the stuff and just this week I found a jar in my fridge :bad: :bad:
I've never kept it at home. I do enjoy it with raw vegetables.

In my last home, the neighbors were so kind preparing that stench at 7am. This was when I developed a love for 630am Coffee every morning.
New place doesn't have the smell but I still have a habit.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

I'm prahocked you don't.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i use it as toothpaste
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I can't stand when anyone put Prahok in Khmer soup, but I do like Prahok when it is alone.

Btw they are important food for Khmer people. But just the way they pack it isn't good looking.
The red one is called Ka Pi' or Kampot people call it Kii.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic