Has Sihanoukville got better, or worse?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Has Sihanoukville got better, or worse?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

phuketrichard wrote:
shnoukieBRO wrote:Did you used to teach English and have a snakehouse gf?

me?
no to both
Yea, i saw on facebooks you're not who i was thinking of, apologies.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I miss the old rocky road, great pics these. I first went in 2005 I think. We stayed at coasters at serendipity and never went much further for a few days. What happened to that Irish guy and his Khmer family , he had the bungalows on Koh Russei as well.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

shnoukieBRO wrote:Some wideview images of all the bars each side of victory hill would be something else!
How about with no bars?

LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
ralphamsterdam
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by ralphamsterdam »

I came first time in 2007 to Sihanoukville. Night life for mongering was much better . Freedom Bar was great with all the losers inside. Utopiah was doing well in those days. I had some great times in the Circle bar from Tony (R.I.P.) Even the chicken farm was fun with at the end the Viet place. Chivas Shack was a good place in night time. I don't mind the development with more hotels, the beaches are getting better and the roads are getting better. Not so keen on the backpackers. But live and let life. I must say that Sihanoukville isn't the same for me without Tony.
Carpe diem
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

LTO wrote:
shnoukieBRO wrote:Some wideview images of all the bars each side of victory hill would be something else!
How about with no bars?

LOL!! This thread is getting better and better....... :beer1:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ralphamsterdam wrote:I came first time in 2007 to Sihanoukville. Night life for mongering was much better . Freedom Bar was great with all the losers inside. Utopiah was doing well in those days. I had some great times in the Circle bar from Tony (R.I.P.)
Even the chicken farm was fun with at the end the Viet place.
Chivas Shack was a good place in night time. I don't mind the development with more hotels, the beaches are getting better and the roads are getting better. Not so keen on the backpackers. But live and let life. I must say that Sihanoukville isn't the same for me without Tony.
Ah, the chicken farm brings back good memories. At 10,000 riel a pop the worst thing that I did not like was when the girls started to have a conversation through those cardboard walls. I always tried to solve that problem by paying 20,000 r for two girls. The one that talked the most got the most ???? to shut her up.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

^ top bloke
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Ahh. The 2008 Chicken farm days... Ignorance is bliss, untill you realised that the poor girls were sold off by their parents into it... :o ....Even so the girls seemed to have some laughs. Is it still as alive as ever??
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Surely Duncan isn't talking about 2008. 10,000 riel in 2008?

And I thought 200 baht was good value in '99. KK.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Both Better and worse.

I have been visiting since 2001, and had businesses and lived off and on in SHV since 2003.

Personally, way worse. It was a lot rawer and way more fun back in the day. These days it is more sanitized and bland. I will not regale you with tales of days gone bye but it was Disneyland for men (so I have been told).

I used to know most of the English speaking expats in town, now I know about 3%. I used to have one of the few (less than 40 in total) bars in town that made money and the first charter boat. Now there are hundreds of bars and heaps of boat businesses.

Business wise I make loads more money than I ever did, but my investment is significantly larger. The amount of tourists has increased about 100 fold.

I have some photos of Golden Lions Plaza (Pub Street) and surrounds just as we finished building it in 2006. I will endeavour to take photos from the same position showing today soon and post then and now photos.

That said, I still like it here and choose to live here. I can live and work in most places of the world if I so choose.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic