Rules for street weddings do exist

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Rules for street weddings do exist

Post by Anchor Moy »

For some but not all (surprise surprise), according to this CD article :
Contrary to popular belief, there are regulations for erecting wedding tents on the streets of Phnom Penh. But not all authorities know the rules, and they don’t apply to everyone.

From November to March—after one rice crop is harvested and before the next is planted— “wedding season” sweeps the country. But in the capital, the joy is often tempered by the grumbling of those whose daily routine collides with parties that cordon off entire streets, generating traffic chaos across the city...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/rule ... me-105617/
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Rules for street weddings do exist

Post by General Mackevili »

Now, if they were only enforced.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:Now, if they were only enforced.
Yes, seems the law is unclear when certain high-ranking ministers are involved:
... For about two weeks, the streets abutting the mansion of Interior Minister Sar Kheng in central Phnom Penh have been bustling with various contractors brought in to prepare for the wedding of his son.

On Friday, the day before the two-day event officially kicked off, gift-bearing guests began arriving and preparations were almost complete.

Street 242, to the south of the mansion, was completely closed off; a giant tent and dozens of air conditioning units blocked even foot traffic.

To the north, Street 240 was choked by parked luxury cars, while metal barricades partially blocked both ends between Norodom and Street 51...
And some people are totally unaware that such laws even exist :
According to Mr. Dimanche, district governors are in charge of managing weddings taking place in the streets.
However, Daun Penh district governor Kouch Chamroeun said he had no idea that regulations on street weddings even existed...
Others feel that there are different laws for different folks:
Among the many citizens who have voiced their anger over weddings that clog up city streets is political analyst Ou Virak, who has written at length about the rich and powerful not being held to the same legal standards as the rest of the population...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/rule ... me-105617/
All this is extremely surprising :popcorn:
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

There are no rules for weddings besides paying off the correct officials, I think you will find actually more expensive than the wedding themselves.

Stands for most laws I would have thought, unless international laws are broken.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The national election is not yet to come in near future, but there is a warning Cambodia might become the next Syria. It is very interesting how Mr. Por Phak linked Cambodian street weeding law with the civil war in Syria. Again, Kingdom of wonder. Agree or not you have to have accept it because here is Cambodia. :facepalm:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

The dangers of trying to snarky in a second language.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Minister apologises for wedding traffic snarls

Interior Minister Sar Kheng yesterday issued a public apology for the traffic congestion caused by his son’s wedding in central Phnom Penh last week.

Following local media reports last week of heavy traffic build up in the streets around Sar Kheng’s mansion on Norodom Boulevard during the lavish three-day event, the interior minister’s cabinet released a letter to local media, apologising to commuters and residents for the “unintentional disturbance”.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/m ... ign=buffer
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bloody wedding waking me up this morning! :P
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:bloody wedding waking me up this morning! :P
That's nothing. Wait till tomorrow morning :bad: :good:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:bloody wedding waking me up this morning! :P
That's nothing. Wait till tomorrow morning :bad: :good:
aha this morning was tomorrow morning lol i might get a lay in tomorrrow (i hope) :bow:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic