The Biggest Lottery in Human History and I have 5 Tickets! ($1.5 Billion USD)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

The Biggest Lottery in Human History and I have 5 Tickets! ($1.5 Billion USD)

Post by General Mackevili »

I wouldn't say I'm a math genius, but I got this Lotto thing figured out!

A family member back home bought me 5 (shared) PowerBall Lottery tickets, which pretty much means I'm guaranteed to wake up a BILLIONAIRE tomorrow morning! ! !

It's pretty simple, really, but I'll go ahead and break it down for you simple folks who just don't get it.

Each ticket is EITHER a winner or a loser. So, that's a 50% chance that it's a winner and a 50% chance that it's a loser.

If I only had 1 ticket, it would either be a winner or a loser, thus a 50% chance it would be a winner and a 50% chance it would be a loser.

Well, I don't like those odds. A 50% chance of it being a loser is just too great. I'm no fucking idiot. I want a sure thing! We're talking about over a billion dollars here!

So, after a few hours of some technical calculations that I won't bore you with, I came up with a foolproof plan. 5 Tickets! ! ! ! It's overkill, really.

Each ticket can either win or lose, so by having 5 tickets there is mathematically no way I can lose!

Chances of me winning are now 50% X 5, which equals a 250% chance of winning! ! ! ! Woohoo! !

Sorry, some of you are probably a little slow, so here: 50%+50%+50%+50%+50%=250% chance of winning!

Impossible to lose with these odds!

Sorry to rub it in everyone's noses, I'm just pretty excited to be a billionaire tomorrow!

Ok, I won't show you the full numbers, but here, take a look at my Power Balls:

01, 07, 11, 13 and 21

Some winners right there!

:Yahoo!:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: The Biggest Lottery in Human History and I have 5 Tickets! ($1.5 Billion USD)

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Good luck, though with the odds you've given yourself I doubt you'll need it. Do remember who your real internet friends are. I'll PM you my banking details for my 2% (after taxes). I still don't understand why US lottery winnings are taxed...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
don reid
Tourist

Re: The Biggest Lottery in Human History and I have 5 Tickets! ($1.5 Billion USD)

Post by don reid »

because it's income. besides, i'm winning it, so no need to worry about figuring how to spend it all. =)

:dm: :dm: :dm: :dm: :dm:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, but from what I gather, if you win 1 million in an American lottery, you basically receive 600k (or whatever the exact post-tax amount would be). Where I'm from, you receive the full amount and you then simply have to pay up whatever is owed when tax time comes around and you have to file your taxes. Basically, it gives you time to shield yourself by investing in different places. Seems like false advertising to tax from the get-go... Or maybe I don't understand it properly.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

lump sum will have federal taxes of 25% (30% if youre non usa) before you even get your money plus any state lottery tax (2-6%), California has non for example

if you went for the annuity itd be given to you over 30 years gradually increasing but youd end up with about 1 billion, assuming fed taxes don't increase of course

youd only beat the annuity if you could make over 6% per year on your investments after about 10 years

uk and canada lottery is tax free

id do the annuity coz 600 mill is too much to handle at once for the average person
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

don reid wrote:because it's income. besides, i'm winning it, so no need to worry about figuring how to spend it all. =)

Income tax usually applies to money you earn through labour. Capital gains, for example, are taxed at a different rate despite being a form of income.

What category does gambling fit into?
Scarier than malaria.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

you only get taxed on income from the winnings in most countrys

a ticket in LA won I see
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

you best show me the monies!
you can pay off my $130 tab i racked up in Minx bar last night :facepalm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: The Biggest Lottery in Human History and I have 5 Tickets! ($1.5 Billion USD)

Post by General Mackevili »

don reid wrote:because it's income. besides, i'm winning it, so no need to worry about figuring how to spend it all. =)

Well, this is bullshit. I don't know how you managed to snake my winnings.

Maybe I made a small mathematical error. :(
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
don reid
Tourist

Post by don reid »

looks like it got split 3 ways. i'd have covered ALL your bar tabs if it had been me. sorry, your tabs are all still intact where you left them. =)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic