10 Reason to love Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: 10 Reason to love Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Oh do you like it too, Samouth? A woman sells it everyday at my house. Do you want me to buy it for you?
At kiwiincambodia and Jamie, the corn with sugar, sesame and coconut. The best taste of it when you use banana leaf to pack it and palm leaf as a spoon. :-)
sounds nice to be fair
You should try it once then while you are in Cambodia.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Oh do you like it too, Samouth? A woman sells it everyday at my house. Do you want me to buy it for you?
At kiwiincambodia and Jamie, the corn with sugar, sesame and coconut. The best taste of it when you use banana leaf to pack it and palm leaf as a spoon. :-)
sounds nice to be fair
ok you can buy for me :good: haha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 10 Reason to love Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
sounds nice to be fair
ok you can buy for me :good: haha
OK I'll buy it if I see her. Then I will send you via CEO. Image
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: 10 Reason to love Cambodia

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Buy it if you see her?

What exactly will you be buying for Jamie?

LOL
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

kiwiincambodia wrote:Buy it if you see her?

What exactly will you be buying for Jamie?

LOL
It must be the corn. What can I buy besides the corn?
soursop
Tourist

Post by soursop »

Hey kiwiin. What happened that made you decide to never have a Khmer girlfriend again? Did your ex cut off your penis or something?

How many people here work in Cambodia and live off their income? I think the average salary is about $300 per month. Is that enough?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi SS, Well what a strange post...

Hey kiwiin. What happened that made you decide to never have a Khmer girlfriend again? Did your ex cut off your penis or something?
You sound concerned about this. Are you having fantasies that Khmer girls will cut your dick off or something ?
How many people here work in Cambodia and live off their income? I think the average salary is about $300 per month. Is that enough?
The average salary of who ? Most Cambodians earn less than $300 pm, but where did you get the idea that this is an "average" expat salary ??

You obviously need more info. Try the Q & A thread.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

soursop wrote:Hey kiwiin. What happened that made you decide to never have a Khmer girlfriend again? Did your ex cut off your penis or something?

for me i would need a min of $1,200/month to live anywhere ( Cambodia is NOT cheaper than other places) in SE Asia
thank god i dont need to live on the minimum

Am sure some can live on $5-800/month but no way $300
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Anchor Moy wrote:I think the average salary is about $300 per month.
The "average" salary does not matter particularly much (It would rather be the "median" salary). The entry-level salary for unskilled labour is more interesting. How much would someone get for doing a job that does not require any skills at all and no experience whatsoever? What would come close to that description is the job of security guard. I think that this salary is around $100/month.

Actually, there is even a lower salary possible: How much would someone get for doing a job that does not require skills nor experience and they would recruit even women? cleaner or waiter/waitress. Salary $80/month.

With additional skills and experience, it goes up very fast. An experienced electrician or plumber would get $500+/month.

From a certain level of skills/experience level on, you will reach the global rates. You would make the same in Cambodia as anywhere else in the world. Example, what does an SAP FI/CO consultant make with 10 years of experience? around $1000/day or more, regardless of whether it concerns New York, London, Khartoum, or Phnom Penh. For places like Luanda it would be still more, because that rate contains a "hardship premium" that would not exist for Phnom Penh. These are gross rates. So, in net-after-taxes terms, the same person makes substantially more in Khartoum or Phnom Penh than in New York or London. In other words, in rich countries, at the bottom of the salary scale there are strong imports (immigration) but at the top of the salary scale there are strong exports (emigration). Indeed, who else built all those factories in China?

If you make less in Phnom Penh than back home, that would be a bit alarming, because it means that you do not have a skill set for which the payment rate is global. Changing location is not a good solution, because it would also be a job type that tends to get off-shored. You'd rather need to change job type ...
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

If you live in countryside or rural area, I think 300$ per month is enough. If you live in cities 500$ is survival. Most of my friends earn more than 800$ per month up to.
- a plate of food is around 5$
- a glass of cocktail is around 5$
- one house warming /wedding / birthday party is around 20$
- funeral/ ceremony is around 10-20$
And I don't include your health care coat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic