Two North Korean Men Died After Drinking Mixed Drinks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two North Korean Men Died After Drinking Mixed Drinks

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two foreigners died allegedly from drinking

Phnom Penh: According to Kampuchea Thmey Daily News, two foreigners found dead and caused shocking moment in the evening on 02 January, 2016 at house number 22 Eo, street 594, group number 13, village 3, Beoung Kok 2 commune, Toul Kok district.
The victims are North Korean. They might have died from drinking too much. According to the source the victims were drinking beer mixed with rice wine and other wines. The mixing drink meant to help supplement the heart, but there might be something wrong with mixing that’s why they died after drinking it. Police is investigating the case to find out the cause of death.

Engrish:
Spoiler:
2 DEAD FOREIGNERS AROUND INDRA DEVI SKEPTICAL REACTION WHEN DRINKING WINE
Russell Continue2/1/2016 4:34 PmInformation , And Social Security0LIKE

Phnom Penh: A man, a stranger, 2 people died, causing surprise on the afternoon of January 02, 2016 at No. 22 E0 Street 594 13 3 2 Lake neighborhood Kork district.

2 victims were North Koreans have died after they were already mixed drink.
Sources said the first step in Before this scene 2 victims were drinking beer mixed with white wine and mixed with other substances mixed up Heart to help mixing different techniques when drinking, and suddenly died. While police are yet to find out the real reason of the death of Shackleton moment.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Two North Korean Men Died After Drinking Mixed Drinks

Post by Samouth »

i wonder if that rice wine was shipped from Kratie province? RIP
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Samouth wrote:i wonder if that rice wine was shipped from Kratie province? RIP
All jokes aside Samouth, but I wonder if the police will investigate that possibility.

:bow:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

We might also need to doubt with khmer reporter. I wonder if they report the news accurately. It sounds strange that people mix their drink with Sra Sar (rice wine). I would never do it, but in general i don't like rice wine. BTW, it could be possible that this rice wine, If they did mixed with, shipped from other provinces as People in Phnom Penh don't make rice wine, i guess.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Two North Korean Men Died After Drinking Mixed Drinks

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:We might also need to doubt with khmer reporter. I wonder if they report the news accurately. It sounds strange that people mix their drink with Sra Sar (rice wine). I would never do it, but in general i don't like rice wine. BTW, it could be possible that this rice wine, If they did mixed with, shipped from other provinces as People in Phnom Penh don't make rice wine, i guess.
It might be Korean rice wine.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Samouth wrote:We might also need to doubt with khmer reporter. I wonder if they report the news accurately. It sounds strange that people mix their drink with Sra Sar (rice wine). I would never do it, but in general i don't like rice wine. BTW, it could be possible that this rice wine, If they did mixed with, shipped from other provinces as People in Phnom Penh don't make rice wine, i guess.
Rice wine is made in Phnom Penh as well. My old gym used to make good business selling 20L jerrycans of the stuff. Minivans filled with people heading to the countryside would stop by randomly and pick one or two of those containers to sell in the countryside. I also know several people who do similar mixing. Surprisingly, a French guy introduced me to putting a shot of soju in beer... Actually kind of good. To me, it sounds like they were having a mix of those weird ginseng drinks and all that (like sra sak dom). Maybe it was Cambodian rice wine mixed with stuff like that, leading to alcohol poisoning, or worse...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Could it be being drunk as a Beer Cocktail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_cocktail
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

This story has been picked up by the Washington Post. Apparently they were both doctors:

Even by the standards of news about North Korea, this story is bizarre: Two North Korean doctors working in Cambodia died over the weekend, apparently after they got so drunk that their wives, also doctors, injected them with some mystery liquid to counteract the alcohol. Both men then had heart attacks, according to a report in the Phnom Penh Post.

Now, we’re used to stories about strange deaths in North Korea. There's Jang Song Thaek, the mercurial uncle who North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had shot. (Although rumors went around that he was savaged by a pack of 100 hungry dogs. Not true.) Or the singer and former girlfriend of Kim Jong Un who reappeared after her reported execution. Just last week, we heard about the sudden death of Kim Yang Gon, a key liaison with South Korea, apparently in a car crash (in a country that still has relatively few cars.)

...continued...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... eir-wives/

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And now Mashable.com, who used our tweet in their story. :thumb:

Two North Korean doctors died in Cambodia on Saturday, and the strange circumstances surrounding their deaths had police scratching their heads.

According to the Phnom Penh Post, the pair were in their 50s and worked in a clinic in Phnom Penh. They went out for an evening of drinking with their wives and 10 other North Koreans.

...continued...

http://mashable.com/2016/01/05/north-korean-doctors
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Rice wine is made in Phnom Penh as well. My old gym used to make good business selling 20L jerrycans of the stuff. Minivans filled with people heading to the countryside would stop by randomly and pick one or two of those containers to sell in the countryside. I also know several people who do similar mixing. Surprisingly, a French guy introduced me to putting a shot of soju in beer... Actually kind of good. To me, it sounds like they were having a mix of those weird ginseng drinks and all that (like sra sak dom). Maybe it was Cambodian rice wine mixed with stuff like that, leading to alcohol poisoning, or worse...
i agree with you that rice mine is made in Phnom Penh too, however it is really rare and it is really hard to get unless you really know where to get. I guess it is more likely the one form the province if they did mixed their drink with sra sar. BTW, your khmer is good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic