All Undated News From Cambodian Prime Minister's Facebook Page

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

All Undated News From Cambodian Prime Minister's Facebook Page

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The driving license issuing is being temporary postponed

This morning the city hall of Phnom Penh had declared that the driving license issuing is being temporary stopped in order to give some time for the government to have a meeting to address some issues such as the procedure and the price of the service. Recently there are so many Cambodians flocking to make driving license following the strict enforcement of new traffic law. The city hall’s declaration had been made after the prime minister of Cambodia posted on his facebook page asking all concerned ministries to have immediate meeting to tackle some issues related to driving license issuing such as complicated procedure and overpriced service charge. The prime minister posted this after people sent direct message to him complaining about it.

His facebook status reads: I have received a request from people via Facebook asking me to lower down the price of making driving license. As a response, I have contacted to a few concerned ministers in the government. I ordered the minister of public work and transportation to temporary stop issuing driving license in order to have time for an immediate meeting to tackle any problems that people are facing related to issuing driving license. I also contacted to minister of economic and finance and other concerned ministries to lower down the price of making it and also cutting down some unnecessary expenses to reduce people expenses. I will study and investigate about it before it will be allowed to issue again in the near future. I hope that lowering down the prince will help reducing people’s expenses and especially younger people who really need driving license for strict enforcement of upcoming new traffic law in 2016.

The message sent to prime minister reads: Hello uncle. I would like to ask you about making driving license. Why it is so expensive? It is 30 dollars for motorbike and 35 dollars for car. I already had a driving license, but it is expired. I just wanted to get it extended and I was required to pay 30 dollar. It is really expensive as it is not making a new one. I would like you to limit the reasonable price for extending and making a new one. Paying 30 dollar for extending is really pricey. If it is really expensive to make driving license, many poor people would not able to make it. Thanks, Uncle.

Source: Sabay
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: All Undated News From Cambodian Prime Minister's Facebook Page

Post by prahkeitouj »

yes, it is very expensive. my driving license was expired since 2014 so I have to change the new one. I hope there will be any better solution for Cambodians.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

So on the eve of new, harsher penalties for driving without a licence, they decide to stop issuing licences? Hmm

I was about to renew my expired licence. Guess I just won't be stopping for police come Jan 1.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: All Undated News From Cambodian Prime Minister's Facebook Page

Post by General Mackevili »

epidemiks wrote:
I was about to renew my expired licence. Guess I just won't be stopping for police come Jan 1.
That plan has worked fine for me since 2008. :)
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: All Undated News From Cambodian Prime Minister's Facebook Page

Post by epidemiks »

General Mackevili wrote:
epidemiks wrote:
That plan has worked fine for me since 2008. :)
And me, but I had hoped to start 'living my lyrics', so to speak, and at least try to do the right thing before criticising others on the road (which I do frequently).
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Premier puts the brakes on driver IDs

The Ministry of Public Works and Transportation stopped issuing new driver’s licences yesterday on the heels of a pledge by Prime Minister HE to lower their cost.

On Tuesday, HE wrote on his official Facebook page that he had ordered relevant ministers to lower the price following complaints from social media users.

“I will monitor this issue before allowing [the licences] to be issued again,” he said. A committee is scheduled to meet today to discuss how much fees will be reduced.

According to Preap Chanvibol, director of the ministry’s General Department of Land Transportation, a new licence costs 60,000 riel (about $15).

But Sorn Chhiev, director of the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability Cambodia, said the announcement was made to shield criticisms that the licence-issuing process was rife with corruption.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... driver-ids
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

what documents do you need in order to obtain a license? is there a test involved or just like anything else in the kingdom, just pay the money?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:what documents do you need in order to obtain a license? is there a test involved or just like anything else in the kingdom, just pay the money?
You can transfer an intl license, Car for B license, proper motorcycle licence for A2. That'll give you a 12 month licence. Around 35 bucks.

Or, do the full test, and get a 10 year licence, according to the new traffic law. Once the big boss sorts out the fees/bribes (good luck with that) , it should be fairly straight forward.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

epidemiks wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:what documents do you need in order to obtain a license? is there a test involved or just like anything else in the kingdom, just pay the money?
You can transfer an intl license, Car for B license, proper motorcycle licence for A2. That'll give you a 12 month licence. Around 35 bucks.

Or, do the full test, and get a 10 year licence, according to the new traffic law. Once the big boss sorts out the fees/bribes (good luck with that) , it should be fairly straight forward.
cool i have a full uk license and i use a international driving permit and dont get no bother with it, but think ill also opt for a proper license as well
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
epidemiks wrote:

cool i have a full uk license and i use a international driving permit and dont get no bother with it, but think ill also opt for a proper license as well
I've only every had to provide proof of a 6m+ e type visa, a few photos, and my Australian licence to Lucky Lucky, but the law says you need a few extra thumb stamps:
The new traffic law wrote: Article 45: Except [where] there is an agreement or international convention to mutually recognize driving licenses on a bilateral or multinational basis with the Kingdom of Cambodia, foreigners, who lawfully live and wish to drive on the roads in the Kingdom of Cambodia, shall obtain a Cambodian driving license via either one of the following two ways:

1. Sitting an exam for a driving license like Cambodians,
2. Exchanging their national driving licenses for the Cambodian ones by submitting their applications to the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, and meeting the following requirements:

a. possession of a valid national passport and Cambodian visa,
b. possession of a valid national driving license,
c. having addresses certified by commune or Sangkat chief,
d. possession of a physical certificate,
e. in case the driving license is not in English or French, it shall be translated into Khmer, English or French certified by their embassies, consulates or mission agencies.

Validation of foreigner‟s Cambodian driving licenses obtained via exchange of their national driving licenses shall be in one year. Validation of foreigner‟s Cambodian driving licenses obtained via examination shall have the same during as those of the Cambodians.
Foreigners holding their national driving licenses under Category C, D, and E may not exchange them for the Cambodian ones under Category C, D, and E, but they may exchange them for the Cambodian ones under Category A and B.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic