Cambodian PM vows dual nationality ban for politicians

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Cambodian PM vows dual nationality ban for politicians

Post by Username Taken »

"Cambodia's strongman premier HE vowed on Monday (Dec 28) to create a new law banning political party leaders from holding dual nationality, a move targeting his arch-rival who has fled overseas.
The nation has been plunged into a political crisis after an arrest warrant was issued last month for Sam Rainsy - the most prominent opposition leader - who has a Cambodian and a French passport. He fled to France, declaring the charges against him were politically motivated."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 81762.html
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Cambodian PM vows dual nationality ban for politicians

Post by Flexnez »

Nice democrat, this PM
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

So will he give back his Vietnamese passport(s)?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

hanno wrote:So will he give back his Vietnamese passport(s)?
HE has a Vietnamese passport?
Username Taken wrote:"Cambodia's strongman premier HE vowed on Monday (Dec 28) to create a new law banning political party leaders from holding dual nationality, a move targeting his arch-rival who has fled overseas.
The nation has been plunged into a political crisis after an arrest warrant was issued last month for Sam Rainsy - the most prominent opposition leader - who has a Cambodian and a French passport. He fled to France, declaring the charges against him were politically motivated."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 81762.html
I have a hard time taking any article seriously that works stuff like "stongman" into the first sentence and is published without a byline, which is not to say that the report that HE said this is untrue.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

LTO wrote:
Probably more than one; seeing how he is helped his Yuon friends over the years.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I wonder how many politicians have U.S. and Cambodian passports at the moment?
-insert signature here
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

hanno wrote:
LTO wrote:
Probably more than one; seeing how he is helped his Yuon friends over the years.
Given how many times "he has helped his yuon friends," I imagine he doesn't even need a Vietnamese passport, just puts on his doun, bites his lower lip and calls it good.

So I take it then you were just joshing. I thought maybe he really did have one at some point, perhaps back in the 80s or something.
AE86 wrote:I wonder how many politicians have U.S. and Cambodian passports at the moment?
I wonder that too, and other passports. HE has been making this same threat regularly for the past 18 years, but he never carries through with it. I have wondered why, and it occured to me that perhaps there are politicians (perhaps many) on his side of the aisle as well that carry some foreign passport or another. It may be a two edged sword.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It is. Many of the leadership's children probably hold dual passports by now. I know the US didn't recognize dual citizenship at all until relatively recently. This sort of stuff also regularly creeps up in many western countries whenever someone applying for a political position of some sort has dual-citizenship. I think it's a legitimate dilemma/question as to where one's loyalty lies though. It's one thing if you've always lived in one country but happen to have a second passport because of a parent, but in Rainman's case...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I note in today's CD article that the supposed plan is to ban dual citizens only from certain leadership positions, which might help mitigate the problem of other CPP parliamentarians and senators (current and future) with dual citizenship. But it would be interesting to know why exactly, after HE has threatened so long to do this so many times, he has always failed carried through. Is it really possibility of affecting other CPP politicians as suggested above, or is there some other reason(s)?
LTO Cambodia Blog

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

LTO wrote:I note in today's CD article that the supposed plan is to ban dual citizens only from certain leadership positions, which might help mitigate the problem of other CPP parliamentarians and senators (current and future) with dual citizenship. But it would be interesting to know why exactly, after HE has threatened so long to do this so many times, he has always failed carried through. Is it really possibility of affecting other CPP politicians as suggested above, or is there some other reason(s)?
Haven't seen today's CD, but in the original link above it says "the new law would be passed next year and affect political party leaders and people holding positions in some key institutions".
So maybe just a bit of a cabinet reshuffle will suffice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic