Electric/Water rates for apartments...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Electric/Water rates for apartments...

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

what are the going/competitive/fair rates for the Electric and Water in cambodia, its something ive never really paid attention to and after my last apartment experience its something i want to keep a closer eye on now im looking for a new place,

what is everyone paying atm?

one place my mate might have sorted me out with is 1500r per kwh and 2000r for water... is this good > fair > overpriced??
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Electric/Water rates for apartments...

Post by TheGrinchSR »

From memory it's about 850 Riel per KWh in Cambodia from EDC. Water is such a tiny charge it doesn't matter if they triple the rates - it's going to be less than $5 a month but leccy adds up a lot.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

The EDC rate is 820 riel. That 1500 riel rate is the highest rate I've personally ever seen and is a ripoff.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

SHV should be 1000kwh and sometimes I've seen 800khw outside SHV. 1500 is a ripoff.

Tell them to do one, unless the apartment is dirt cheap and next to a ladyboy bar.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Jo Bold
Expatriate

Post by Jo Bold »

The price depends on your energy consumption.
I live in a private house in central sihanoukville, my consumption is low, so i pay 720riel/khw direct to edc. Once they gave me a wrong invoice , with a higher consumption and the price went up to 820riels/kwh.
If you have a business, they assume you have a much higher consumption and you need a thicker cable for your connection. The price then can go up to 1500riel/kwh.
Appartement complexes are seen as a business, doesnt matter if everybody has its own meter.

If you pay direct to edc, you probably pay the correct price.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:what are the going/competitive/fair rates for the Electric and Water in cambodia, its something ive never really paid attention to and after my last apartment experience its something i want to keep a closer eye on now im looking for a new place,

what is everyone paying atm?

one place my mate might have sorted me out with is 1500r per kwh and 2000r for water... is this good > fair > overpriced??
Is that place your mate found near Blind Beggar?

Can depend if they have a generator that cuts in every power failure. Might cost 10k+ for decent one plus costs more for diesel when running. Our Place charges 1100r per kw but have shared genny with another place, which we have to throw the switch manually on power outs! 1500 no genny = rip off!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

the place my mate found is just round the corner from my old place, and is just a block of 7 groundfloor apartments...
yeah ive never had a water bill for more than $5

because i use my laptop a lot, my electric consumption is something i want to keep an eye on,
think maybe i should shop around more

so the going rate should be less than 1000r per kwh and should only be paying around 1000 if they have a genny?
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I don't know of any less than 1000R/KW but yes!
I know there is something an electrician could explain better here, called leakage, a small amount may leak from poor cables and connections so there is some loss. And difference in poorly calibrated meters. So your small meters readings all added together may be more or less than the main meter. There are also several types of meter. The one on each room should be the 10(20)A not the smaller 3(6)A. The latter if you are using normal western appliances, fridge, Tv, shower etc is not big enough, could be giving inflated readings as its trying to meter beyond its limits. Again, I'm no electrician, so someone could explain better!
Note the 600R/Kw on the one on right.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Fourkinnel wrote:I don't know of any less than 1000R/KW but yes!
I know there is something an electrician could explain better here, called leakage, a small amount may leak from poor cables and connections so there is some loss. And difference in poorly calibrated meters. So your small meters readings all added together may be more or less than the main meter. There are also several types of meter. The one on each room should be the 10(20)A not the smaller 3(6)A. The latter if you are using normal western appliances, fridge, Tv, shower etc is not big enough, could be giving inflated readings as its trying to meter beyond its limits. Again, I'm no electrician, so someone could explain better!
Note the 600R/Kw on the one on right.
thanks for that
a place that i already had details for i checked their prices and theirs are 1100khw but Water is free which is a better deal, but still, have a lot better impression to what to look out for now when i shop around for a new place, and thanks for the picture :thumb: thanks Fourkinnel :thumb:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i pay 820 in PP and was same in sv
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic