Future of Cambodian farmer

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Future of Cambodian farmer

Post by frank lee bent »

the main restriction here is not cash but water.
a legacy of the carpet bombing in eastern provinces.
also, the groundwater is heavily contaminated by arsenic in over 30% of the country.
so business as usual is not realyy an option given the long term effects of arseconosis, which even city dweelers are at risk from if they regularly eat rice, veg and pork notably from kandal province.
traditional knowledge will not help out much in drought years like the one we are in now.
facebook is already full of desperation land sales due to the failed rice crops in some provinces.

change and innovation is what is needed- not blind adherence to the failed systems of the past.
population has doubled since i was born, and more modern and sustaible techniques are needed now, and not just for business- for families too.

anyone who has seen the management of scavenging village chicken flocks vs modern techniques will immediately grasp my proposition here.
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Yeah 3 times harvest is normal here. And they grow 2 different kind of potatoes here, normal one ( French fries) and cheap kind potato ( long thin). Everybody grows them in ttheir gardens and the fields beneath the mountains.
Riceland is almost impossible to buy here. Sometimes people sell a small plot 20x20m. But the bigger plots 50x40 the people not sell. If u go count 1 ha should cost 8000-9000$, depending on location .
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Most Farmers n my country ( the Netherlands) go first 6 years to a university ( with some years practical). But here everything goes from father to son, but intact they don't know what they are doing. And as the children can't go school because the parents have no money to send the kid to school, than they never learn it the other way. Maybe 10-15 year later Cambodia turns in a country with only the big farms, that have knowledge and can manage a farm. Small holders shall sell their land because they can't win money anymore at the way they used to do. Intact that's also happened in the Netherlands.there are no small farms anymore.but wondering what the village people gonna do than.

Yeah raising chickens seems a good way to earn some money, my gf wanna also raise some chickens, with Chinese new year the prices ggo up. Maybe a idea to put my big barn full with chickens. Somebody know more about the Newcastle disease here in Cambodia??
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

The French fries potato is import from Vietnam, excuses
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

try ducks, Quail
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote:try ducks, Quail
I have mentioned it a couple of times before, but there are big opportunities here for raising goats. You do not need any land, you just need access to a rubber plantation or a palm oil plantation and convince the owners that you, grazing goats on the land will keep the undergrowth and weeds down so the harvesters of the rubber and palm oil have a easier job. Goats are browsers, and like to eat the young tips of plants and move on , so they need a large area, also like a roadside is ideal.
The evergrowing population of Chams, who love goat meat, and like to kill their own, means there will be a never diminishing supply needed.
When it gets to the stage of us seeing goat meat in the markets alongside pork and chicken, then, and only then, will I change my view on the raising and supply of goat meat.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

funny, was just in South Myanmar and goat is very popular and cheap
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Tadpole
Expatriate

Post by Tadpole »

phuketrichard wrote:funny, was just in South Myanmar and goat is very popular and cheap
No kidding.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes newcastle kills 70% of the village flocks annually ( fao stats ) you can vax by eyedrop.
quail are a much better bet.

goats, definitely.
surprised about potatoes! good to know!

https://www.facebook.com/sang.kimleang/ ... nref=story
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

I have goats, saanen, Boer,Nubian and Khmer goats. I just started, I import some goats of Vietnam. My plan was / is to start a small diary farm. I hear many people day that goats are easy to kept. But many people forget that we are in the tropics. Goats are really sensitive to parasites. Goats not grow well in tropics. If u have a good boerbreed here ,he becomes max 60kilo.
Goats need good food , a mix between the right minerals and vitamins. And goats eat a lot. Raising goats and start a diary farm sounds easy, but it is not so easy as it sounds. And there are no good goats here in Cambodia. Raising Khmer goats is useless, because they not grow because the bloodline, parasites and goats are sensitive to a lot of sicknesses.
And the vets here don't know about goats. They really don't know. I tried to find a vet here to bring him some decals to check the wormload etc. But they never heard of it, and so are there many things.

But I'm still convinced about the potential about a diaryfarm, prices of milk products are high.
But keep and take care goats on a good way is a expensive and unsure business.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic