Forgetful British Expat Ian Hammond Arrested in Sihanoukville for Living Illegally in Cambodia for 2 Years

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Forgetful British Expat Ian Hammond Arrested in Sihanoukville for Living Illegally in Cambodia for 2 Years

Post by General Mackevili »

Yep, here he is, waiting to get deported along with many others:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Forgetful British Expat Ian Hammond Arrested in Sihanoukville for Living Illegally in Cambodia for 2 Years

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

General Mackevili wrote:Yep, here he is, waiting to get deported along with many others:

that big footed german holst? guy looks like hes being deported as well?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ He did keep sitting on the kerbside. Maybe they realized that he really is trash.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: Forgetful British Expat Ian Hammond Arrested in Sihanoukville for Living Illegally in Cambodia for 2 Years

Post by juansweetpotato »

General Mackevili wrote: You generally have to die first before you get any real help.

Best joke I have heard in a long time. Along with the UOK now F off embassy. Fuckers.

13th of DEC till now. That's over a month in detention for those wondering what might happen to them if caught. Still, they don't look like they have lost a lot of weight. Wonder what the one's at the very back sitting down look like...
OTOH, imagine being locked up with a load of hot Vietnamese hookers. Their dreams come true at last. :facepalm:

As far as I'm concerned, its now official. Don't let your visa expire!
Seeing as a lot of us often let the visa lapse for a few days preferring to pay the overstay on departure. I won't be doing that anymore.
It seems there must be something more to all these barang over-stay posts. If not, they could have told us the overstay fee/ rules were changing.

I don't see the guy with the hat and the beard, who was causing a disturbance, walking down the street and freaking everyone out though.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: RE: Re: Forgetful British Expat Ian Hammond Arrested in Sihanoukville for Living Illegally in Cambodia for 2 Years

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

juansweetpotato wrote:13th of DEC till now. That's over a month in detention
Pictures posted about 10 days ago on fb showing several of the pictured guys being sent on their way from Pochentong, so no longer being detained here by immigration.

juansweetpotato wrote:Seeing as a lot of us often let the visa lapse for a few days preferring to pay the overstay on departure. I won't be doing that anymore.
You maybe. I, and I'd imagine most other responsible expats, have never let my/their visa lapse.

juansweetpotato wrote:It seems there must be something more to all these barang over-stay posts. If not, they could have told us the overstay fee/ rules were changing.
Most of those being deported have been staying illegally with visas that expired months/years ago, and/or being in trouble with the law. Nothing has changed apart from immigration have started cracking down on all these irresponsible losers, which is great to see.
Stevemossy81
Tourist

Post by Stevemossy81 »

Hi, that link says they will be deported, know if they have been yet? And if he was deported back to the UK?
Thanks
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

The German beggar had his picture taken at the immigration booth, so I'm assuming they've all been deported back to their home countries.

Good luck finding him.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Thank fuck they have gone.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

willyhilly wrote:Thank fuck they have gone.
I will miss them. They offered great entertainment.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

[quote="CEOCambodiaNews"]Sihanoukville, Cambodia: Police in arrested a British national by the name of Ian Hammond for living in Cambodia illegally

General Choun Narin told Fresh News on 13 Demember 2015 that police in Sihanoukville arrested a British national for illegally living in Cambodia for two years without a valid visa or passport.

The general confirmed that the arrested foreigner is Ian Hammond, 46 years old, British national.

He has been staying at the bars along the beach for two years without passport.

According to police, Ian said he came to Cambodia from Thailand but he could not remember which border crossing he came through. He had stayed in Phnom Penh city for 6 months. Then he moved to live on Koh Rong Island and then Sihanoukville until he was arrested.

Police added that this arrested foreigner was unable to support himself, and that's why the police arrested him and sent him to the immigration department for further legal actions.

Does anyone know what happens to people typically that have to go to immigration for illegal residence, visa overstay etc. ? Do they send them back right away or turn them over to their embassy or torture them by making them stay in some kind of immigration jail for a long time like they do or atleast they used to do in Thailand. Back in the 80's they were many overtayers caught and had been in the immigration jail for years of all nationalities.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic