Zic Zac Bar Sihanoukville

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Zic Zac Bar Sihanoukville

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Hotdigr wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:thats not the point, the fact they do 50c beers was the point, if the game ends 0-0, thats an hour n half of 50c beers, and with some games being on at different times that could lead up to 6 hours of 50c beers, i dont care i dont drink there, just saying lol
The actual point is, is that some bars are more equal there then others. There is a " body corporate" style of management in place. The majority of bars are told what price they can charge and can have their lease voided if they don't abide by the rules.
:ROFL:

What utter dross!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

I've never been in Zic Zac, but If I recall correctly It's closed off with aircon (maybe not in the cool season?) so it might be a good hot season place to drink, but if so when it does blow up the whole block will go with it! Been in the Plaza Pub st a few times but it's fairly unremarkable! Hell also most times I go to the Square I leave and vow never to go back till they fix atleast one thing...shit entry, shit bricks, shit toilets, shit music coming from five bars at once, sketchy khmer bfs and motodups coming and going allover, etc., instead they just build more bars in front. There's the odd nice girl that works there, but most girls are about on par with the cheap ktv street girls that canbe had for the price of a barfine and a drink all in, also there's no discretion whatsoever which is a hassle for some residents, although I guess tourists don't care to much about this. When it comes to nocturnal venues, the khmers have it all over the barangs in every aspect! Restaurants with seperate booths and hostesses, tons of Ktvs cheap and expensive that are pretty discrete, air con clubs with hostesses that can be cheap. Ie. 4.50$ pitchers, none of which have barfines like foreign bars so technically they're all more legal. I'd say barang places get less than 10% of my entertainment dollars, and if it wasn't for playing pool I would rarely set foot in any western bar in Shv.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Hotdigr wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:thats not the point, the fact they do 50c beers was the point, if the game ends 0-0, thats an hour n half of 50c beers, and with some games being on at different times that could lead up to 6 hours of 50c beers, i dont care i dont drink there, just saying lol
The actual point is, is that some bars are more equal there then others. There is a " body corporate" style of management in place. The majority of bars are told what price they can charge and can have their lease voided if they don't abide by the rules.
:ROFL:

What utter dross!
Not quite sure if that comment was directed at me? But if it was, you couldn't be more wrong. Part of the lease agreement says that you must join committee, attend the monthly meetings and and abide by its "Rulings". These rulings may and in fact do, include price fixing. If you don't abide by their rules your lease can be voided.
LaudJohn can back me up on that.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I think you couldn't be more wrong, unless it's changed recently. The bars can price their drinks how they see fit without any prior approval.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

The standard beer price in Stevie C's was $1.25 last time I was in there (same for Shipwreck). Apparently last night he had them for $1.00.

Yes he does have specials but 50 cent beer is it not the norm for his place.

As for the rules of the ownership committee, I cannot talk about what the rules are now. When I wrote them in 2006 they did not state that there needed to be price fixing in the Plaza. The committee was established to stop 10 different people coming to me with conflicting requests. Membership is still mandatory as far as I know but no one has (to my knowledge) had their lease voided as a result of going against the norm.

I know one resident almost never attends meetings and sets his own beer price, usually above others.

The fact is that some bars there are more successful than others and thus need to, or can, charge different rates. Some bars lack personality and amenity and need to have lower prices to attract drinkers, whereas more popular places there thrive with higher prices.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

bolliger1962 wrote:Hy guys beware going to the zick zack bar,the place has been build as no smoking place because a pipeline from gasoline is just passing a very small distance under the floor and have a leek now.
as you almost everybody smokes inside there.

From where to where does this supposed gasoline pipeline run?

I know of no petrol stations or holding tanks within the immediate vicinity.

This sounds like complete tripe and scaremongering to me.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LaudJohn wrote:The standard beer price in Stevie C's was $1.25 last time I was in there (same for Shipwreck). Apparently last night he had them for $1.00.

Yes he does have specials but 50 cent beer is it not the norm for his place.

As for the rules of the ownership committee, I cannot talk about what the rules are now. When I wrote them in 2006 they did not state that there needed to be price fixing in the Plaza. The committee was established to stop 10 different people coming to me with conflicting requests. Membership is still mandatory as far as I know but no one has (to my knowledge) had their lease voided as a result of going against the norm.

I know one resident almost never attends meetings and sets his own beer price, usually above others.

The fact is that some bars there are more successful than others and thus need to, or can, charge different rates. Some bars lack personality and amenity and need to have lower prices to attract drinkers, whereas more popular places there thrive with higher prices.
think thats case closed on that one...
cheers for clearing that up LJ :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic