New safety initiative in taxis

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

New safety initiative in taxis

Post by rozzieoz »

New co-pilot program - that's the guy on the left. The driver is the one on the phone. There's another two passengers in the front as well. Handy to have someone to take control if the driver suffers a mishap.

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: New safety initiative in taxis

Post by Samouth »

I experienced the same thing. I was on my way from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville and at one point our driver sat in the middle.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Don't take share taxis!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We know this now ;)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

He was talking on one phone and reading texts on the other phone!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i took a share taxi to PP with my khmer friend, turned out there was 8 of us in this car, 4 in the back 4 in the front, 2 in the drivers seat shocking lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

I've been here 8 years now, and have seen and been in most shared transport situations. But, a friend who's been here a decade or more swears that it was not uncommon to see a passenger on the bonnet/hood of a car too in years gone by. You know, when the boot/trunk was full with people and the roof was either full of stuff or already nuts to butts. Anyone confirm or deny?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rick_o'shea wrote:I've been here 8 years now, and have seen and been in most shared transport situations. But, a friend who's been here a decade or more swears that it was not uncommon to see a passenger on the bonnet/hood of a car too in years gone by. You know, when the boot/trunk was full with people and the roof was either full of stuff or already nuts to butts. Anyone confirm or deny?
ive seen plenty of the khmer minivans with groups of people on the roof so it wouldnt surprise me
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

rick_o'shea wrote:I've been here 8 years now, and have seen and been in most shared transport situations. But, a friend who's been here a decade or more swears that it was not uncommon to see a passenger on the bonnet/hood of a car too in years gone by. You know, when the boot/trunk was full with people and the roof was either full of stuff or already nuts to butts. Anyone confirm or deny?
I heard a similar story from a journalist who covered war in Africa.
Scarier than malaria.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

You pay your fare and you take your chances! Those accident pictures of overloaded khmer minibuses with 20 passengers and a few more on the roof aren't pretty. If it's not a private ride, then I only ride Citylink VIP now, 10$ free pickup, plush ride in the best vans in the kingdom. Last time I came down to Shv we (with gf) were the only two on the bus...bliss!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic