Cambodia World N° 1 for Rabies' Deaths.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Cambodia World N° 1 for Rabies' Deaths.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Here's news article that appears to have gone unnoticed in last week's Khmer Times. However, it is a subject that concerns all expats and vistors to Cambodia. This country has the highest per capita rate of deaths by rabies in the world. (I am taking the KTs word for this; a quick search was nonconclusive.)Whatever the real ranking, death by rabies is a real possibility in Cambodia.
Don't want to be a scaremonger, but I often see tourists/backpackers playing with any stray dog that seems to be friendly. This always seems to me to be risky behaviour. I've seen a guy bitten in the face by the cute little puppydog he was playing with on the beach. I think expats generally take more care, but those who have kids should be aware that it is not ok to play with dogs in the street, or any dog that is not your own.
Cambodia has the highest rate of rabies deaths per capita in the world, with an estimated 850 people killed every year by the virus. Although rabies is preventable if treated quickly, there are few treatment centers, and almost none of the country’s roughly four million dogs are vaccinated against the virus. As a result, a Cambodian is as likely to be killed by rabies as a citizen of Western Europe is to be killed in a traffic accident. ..
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/18302/ ... -of-reach/
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia World N° 1 for Rabies' Deaths.

Post by TheGrinchSR »

It's worth noting that over in Vietnam they have more people killed by rabies than any other country except India too...

Also, you are unlikely to contract rabies from any other animal other than a dog or a bat.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Down where I live in SHV the dogs multiplying like rabbits. The 'I don't give a fuck owners' fail to realize when the dogs are on heat to keep them indoors.That's barang owners also, who should know better! The noise from roaming dogs up to their tricks at night is getting unbearable but some could sleep through the next world war so they never hear anything. I'm sure one near has rabies but nothing will be done until someone important is bitten!
Ed Hammer
Expatriate

Post by Ed Hammer »

Anchor Moy wrote:Here's news article that appears to have gone unnoticed in last week's Khmer Times. However, it is a subject that concerns all expats and vistors to Cambodia. This country has the highest per capita rate of deaths by rabies in the world. (I am taking the KTs word for this; a quick search was nonconclusive.)Whatever the real ranking, death by rabies is a real possibility in Cambodia.
Don't want to be a scaremonger, but I often see tourists/backpackers playing with any stray dog that seems to be friendly. This always seems to me to be risky behaviour. I've seen a guy bitten in the face by the cute little puppydog he was playing with on the beach. I think expats generally take more care, but those who have kids should be aware that it is not ok to play with dogs in the street, or any dog that is not your own.
Cambodia has the highest rate of rabies deaths per capita in the world, with an estimated 850 people killed every year by the virus. Although rabies is preventable if treated quickly, there are few treatment centers, and almost none of the country’s roughly four million dogs are vaccinated against the virus. As a result, a Cambodian is as likely to be killed by rabies as a citizen of Western Europe is to be killed in a traffic accident. ..
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/18302/ ... -of-reach/
BS
don't believe everything you read..
General Mackevili: I just don't want you littering our forum with your drivel.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

TheGrinchSR wrote: Also, you are unlikely to contract rabies from any other animal other than a dog or a bat.
Please do not write something like that as it is not true. Pretty much any mammal can transmit rabies to humans.

Get bitten or scratched by any animal and head straight to hospital.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I thought there was no vaccine for rabies and the best you could get was an extra few days to reach the hospital. Is there a vaccine that works on dogs as the article implies?
Scarier than malaria.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

ali baba wrote:I thought there was no vaccine for rabies and the best you could get was an extra few days to reach the hospital. Is there a vaccine that works on dogs as the article implies?

Rabies Vaccination

An animal can be considered immunized within 28 days after initial vaccination, when a peak rabies virus antibody titer is reached. An animal is considered currently vaccinated and immunized if the initial vaccination was administered at least 28 days previously or booster vaccinations have been administered in accordance with recommendations. Because a rapid anamnestic response is expected, an animal is considered currently vaccinated immediately after a booster vaccination.
Vaccination schedules

Vaccination of dogs, ferrets, and livestock can be started at no sooner than three months of age. Some cat vaccines can be given as early as two months of age. Regardless of the age of the animal at initial vaccination, a booster vaccination should be administered one year later.
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_grou ... ation.html
Rabies is a contagious viral disease that can affect many mammals including dogs, cats, horses, cattle, and people. It can also infect wildlife such as the skunk, raccoon, fox, coyote, bat, and others. Rabies is almost always fatal for an infected animal or person.

Because rabies can infect people, the disease is a public health concern. As a result, most communities have regulations pertaining to the vaccination of pets against rabies. Your community may require that your dog be vaccinated. However, even if your community does not require the vaccine, protecting your dog against rabies is still a good idea.
http://www.examiner.com/article/rabies- ... vaccinated
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

ali baba wrote:I thought there was no vaccine for rabies and the best you could get was an extra few days to reach the hospital. Is there a vaccine that works on dogs as the article implies?
The is. vaccine for dogs and other mammals and it is almost 100% effective. And, at least in the case of humans, it is one of the few vaccines that can be given after exposure (if it is soon enough) and still prevent the disease.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

theres a few Icehead freelancers that like to hang around Dolphin Shack in the nocturnal hours that im sure have rabies
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Cambodia World N° 1 for Rabies' Deaths.

Post by General Mackevili »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:theres a few Icehead freelancers that like to hang around Dolphin Shack in the nocturnal hours that im sure have rabies
Haha, I've been bitten by a few rabid night butterflies there. I must have been vaccined.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic