Which country Cambodia should stick with?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

1. China
38%
2. Japan
38%
3. The United States
23%

Total votes: 13
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

As one can imagine Cambodia can't be really independent and Cambodia can't be like it is today without the help and investment from other countries. As you also can see we have got a lot of investments from China and Japan and the nearby country Vietnam. As long as i know China is the main investing country in Cambodia and Cambodia seems to have really close relationship with China more than other countries. No doubt, we owed China a lot of money and our prime minister is really proud of it (I remembered during a speech, he said Cambodia is the only country in Southeast Asia that China is willing to lend money anytime without consideration and China also urged us to borrow money from them. China helped build the peace palace (our prime mister's office and as i read an article the other day China planned to spend millions of dollar to build an office for our ministers). China built roads and bridges, but most of these infrastructures were built under the loan both with interest and without interest. Similarly, Japan also helped Cambodia a lot. Every year, the government of Japan gives a lot of aid to our government and not to mention they helped build bridges, roads, schools and hospital without loan until they were built under the money from ADB. I don't know much to talk about USA. What i know is that USA helped built national road number 4 and every year the government of America also give aid to our country too.

So my question is that, personally which country do you think Cambodia should stick with for the sake of the country and nation? Why ? How can we develop our country without having to use too much natural resource?

1. China

2. Japan

3. The United States

បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Which country Cambodia should stick with?

Post by Duncan »

Always beware of people giving free gifts, they are not giving because they are '' nice '' people, they are giving cause there is something in it for themselves. The strings that are attached to all these loans are so many and so complicated that you , I, and the common people will never find out about them. I just pity your children and grandchildren somouth, cause they are the ones that will have to pay, if they still own the country.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Samouth you need to read more history books.
When considering itself as weak, Cambodia mastered the art of playing all available cards. therefore IMO the only answer to your question is sticking with the three countries altogether. That allows to grow tighter relation with two of them when the third one is trying to reap too many dividends out of their investment.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

4. North korea.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

vietnam would seem to be the obvious choice to me.
they have prevailed against both usa and china.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

frank lee bent wrote:vietnam would seem to be the obvious choice to me.
they have prevailed against both usa and china.
In the last 20 years, Vietnam's GDP and economy has skyrocketed, without handouts from other countries. I think Cambodian's should learn to work hard and improve their own country without expecting aid from others.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

China helped build the peace palace (our prime mister's office and as i read an article the other day China planned to spend millions of dollar to build an office for our ministers).
China funded the construction of the Council of Minister's building. The Prime Minister's office was built with government funds.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

learn something from the history of Thailand

the main reason they were never colonised is that they had trade and relationship with Great Britain and France equally. and with any foriegn country too, i think Spain and Holland were welcomed to do business there

so when Britain wanted to colonise Thailand, it would have caused a war with France. and vice versa. So UK and France decided to keep Thailand as a neutral zone between their empires, and just continue with their trading, without colonising them

Also

When you say "borrow money" you really talking about "creating money" watch this video for an education,

TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Only a nation of idiots would mortgage their souls to the Chinese. China is a polluted, toxic, wasteland - sooner or later, China will have to go to war to gain new lands... or they will need to let hundreds of millions die because they won't even be able to provide clean water for them. Being China's "friend" will only make it easier for them to invade, enslave (and almost certainly commit genocide on) the local population.

Japan is a good bet. It's spending large amounts of wedge to keep China's influence to a minimum and wants not a lot in return. The Japanese don't do geo-politics any more and would be happy just to get a friendly nod in the occasional ASEAN or Asian vote...

USA, sadly has a reputation for failing its allies abroad. It also has a reputation of being incredibly incompetent when dealing with its enemies abroad too. But... in this instance USA and Japan have aligned interests in stopping Chinese influence; so you could probably get cash from USA and Japan with far fewer strings attached than Chinese money comes with. Even if it does mean the occasional face-losing scolding for the Cambodian government.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic