What's the beef with street 172

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bhodi
Expatriate
Canada

What's the beef with street 172

Post by Bhodi »

I've read this board alot and it seems like lots of you long timers got a hate on for this street. I'm staying in a really nice well run place on this street and I've walked up and down it exploring. I don't see or feel anything untoward in fact compared to where I was (136st) which I found to be grimy dirty all hustle alley I like it here on 172st. So why the disdain for this street?
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: What's the beef with street 172

Post by TheGrinchSR »

When I was in Phnom Penh - I lived near there. It's a neighbourhood of long-term and (generally) less succesful expats which attracts a fair number of absolute nutcases (alcoholism and drug addiction are absolutely rife) but most of which can be avoided by not going to the noisiest of bars late in the evenings.

There are several good places to eat/drink there. There are several of the most depressing "hostess" bars in the world there. It's not somewhere to have much of a downer on but there's very little there to be enthused about either.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Bhodi
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Bhodi »

TheGrinchSR wrote:When I was in Phnom Penh - I lived near there. It's a neighbourhood of long-term and (generally) less succesful expats which attracts a fair number of absolute nutcases (alcoholism and drug addiction are absolutely rife) but most of which can be avoided by not going to the noisiest of bars late in the evenings.

There are several good places to eat/drink there. There are several of the most depressing "hostess" bars in the world there. It's not somewhere to have much of a downer on but there's very little there to be enthused about either.
Hmmm are we talking about the same place because I didn't see any hostess bars. Are there different 172's ie: north or south? I'm at or close to #41 Eo/172st.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...but there's very little there to be enthused about either.
two i can think of,
sundance
and lonestar around the corner

actually 3, as i like the food/service at the blue dolphin :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I thought the food in Sundance was about the worst in the world. Lonestar's is not bad though.

There are "hostess" bars in at least 3 locations on the same strip of the road as Sundance (though on both sides of the street) between Wat Onalom and is it 19? (Been a while).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
JessB52
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by JessB52 »

There's ' night moves', 'black shadow' ' single girl', 'apple' and ' black pearl' that I can think of right now that are girly bars.

172 ain't that bad, though I did once make a promise to myself a couple of years ago that I would never live on that street again. That worked out well....
Cambodia's answer to Bet Lynch

https://www.facebook.com/JessatQuealys
Red Ops
Expatriate

Post by Red Ops »

JessB52 wrote:There's ' night moves', 'black shadow' ' single girl', 'apple' and ' black pearl' that I can think of right now that are girly bars.

172 ain't that bad, though I did once make a promise to myself a couple of years ago that I would never live on that street again. That worked out well....

And that queerlys place. Worst quim bar in town. :dm:
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

You're telling me that Gladiator Bar bit the dust ? Hard to believe. It had to be the only Gladiator Bar in the world that wasn't gay !
Bhodi
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Bhodi »

JessB52 wrote:There's ' night moves', 'black shadow' ' single girl', 'apple' and ' black pearl' that I can think of right now that are girly bars.

Ha!! As it turns out I'm staying right across the street from Night Moves maybe I'll go and have a look see.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Bhodi wrote:

Ha!! As it turns out I'm staying right across the street from Night Moves maybe I'll go and have a look see.
Be sure to read the link below first. :wink: Just in case. :twisted:

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic7101.html

:popcorn:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic