Pesticide spraying causes mass airborne poisoning in factory

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Pesticide spraying causes mass airborne poisoning in factory

Post by Duncan »

LTO wrote:
Overuse of pesticides is nothing new, but what sort of level of pesticide use would be necessary to get inside a factory and cause large numbers of workers to faint ? Was the farmer spraying into the factory airvents or what ?
Another mass fainting. Another reason. It doesn't make sense. SinnSisamouth is right IMO.

These women faint en masse because they hate what they are doing and where the are and have no choice. It is a sort of involuntary protest. The price of a neoliberal globalized world. And, if thought about enough, almost a little offensive for that world to act like there is some detail wrong with the factory that can be fixed and make it better for them,
when the real problem is rooted in a world that puts them in a factory.

Exactly what I think too. We should be helping them by letting them work in bar's where they can be pestered by pests but no pesticide is used.

New tee-shirt coming.,,,,, Today I rescued a factory worker.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Duncan wrote:
LTO wrote:
 Overuse of pesticides is nothing new, bu  t what sort of level of pesticide use would be necessary to get inside a factory and cause large numbers of workers to faint ? Was the farmer spraying into the factory airvents or what ?
Another mass fainting. Another reason. It doesn't make sense. SinnSisamouth is right IMO. 

These women faint en masse because they hate what they are doing and where the are and have no choice. It is a sort of involuntary protest. The price of a neoliberal globalized world. And, if thought about enough, almost a little offensive for that world to act like there is some detail wrong with the factory that can be fixed and make it better for them,
when the real problem is rooted in a world that puts them in a factory.

Exactly what I think too. We should be helping them by letting them work in bar's where they can be pestered  by pests but no pesticide is used.

New tee-shirt coming.,,,,,   Today I rescued a factory worker.
Factory v bar. Even for a neolib, that is a rather narrow vision.
Last edited by LTO on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
stevenpp14
Tourist

Post by stevenpp14 »

One fainting brings on another and another. But on the issue of pesticides in Cambodia, very few if any of the pesticides are manufactured in Cambodia. Therefore the labels and application instructions are in a language (Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese) that Cambodia farmers cannot read.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

stevenpp14 wrote:One fainting brings on another and another. But on the issue of pesticides in Cambodia, very few if any of the pesticides are manufactured in Cambodia. Therefore the labels and application instructions are in a language (Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese) that Cambodia farmers cannot read.
Even if labels were written in Khmer it would serve little purpose as majority of Cambodian farmers are illiterate. IMHO.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Pesticides Lead to Mass Fainting
The spraying of pesticides in rice fields near the Ly Chheang Corporation garment factory in Kampong Cham province on Wednesday evening has been blamed for the fainting of nearly 50 staff.

According to a report by the National Social Security Fund (NSSF), 46 members of staff were sent to the Batheay district referral hospital to recover.

“The workers fainted due to the farmers spraying pesticides in their rice fields directly in front of the factory,” the report said, adding that the NSSF had covered all medical costs.

Deputy district police chief Rong Ratana told Khmer Times that all the staff had quickly recovered.

“They recovered and left to return home, and some went back to work, as there were none seriously ill,” he said, noting that they had complained of dizziness and headaches after the spraying started.

“We went down to explain to the farmers not to spray the pesticides during the workers’ working hours [in the future] to avoid affecting their health,” said Mr. Ratana.

Khmer Times.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

most are prolly to young to remember....

but trucks used to troll around in the evening spraying mozzie juice once a month or so in the summer in the states.

circa 1960's....big trucks, lots of fogging going on.

happened all the time for years.

anyways. I'm still here :dragonchase:

I don't recall any mass faintings or such...(except for the mozzie's I assume)

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Bertros wrote:most are prolly to young to remember....

but trucks used to troll around in the evening spraying mozzie juice once a month or so in the summer in the states.

just sayin'

o
In the 60's USA DDT was the go to chem for mozzies along with diesel fuel. The diesel was the carrier. Along came the 70's & was banned. Supposedly world wide shortly later. It still is used in parts of Africa or so I have read.
Mostly today in USA they use pyrethrins, permethrin & resmethrin (pyrethroids).
Your hood may vary.

Did you ride your bike behind the spray truck?
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Luigi wrote:
Bertros wrote:most are prolly to young to remember....

just sayin'

o
In the 60's USA DDT was the go to chem for mozzies along with diesel fuel. The diesel was the carrier. Along came the 70's & was banned. Supposedly world wide shortly later. It still is used in parts of Africa or so I have read.
Mostly today in USA they use pyrethrins, permethrin & resmethrin (pyrethroids).
Your hood may vary.

Did you ride your bike behind the spray truck?

no, I have asthma...not the best idea. not sure many did ride behind. we were really outside in those days as kids.
that said, you could tell it was in the air when they went by and it wafted over the house, it may have caused a couple of attacks.
who knows, it was a long time ago. (for ref:even in snowy freezing conditions, girls could not wear pants to walk to school-dresses only.)
even as a kid, I was surprised the 'parents' weren't more concerned (it smelled very heavy), but now I know, 'they's was just ignorant'.
it was the day of the 'new and improved thing' after all, and most were still 'true believers' in the gov't. (re:love canal, etc.)
it was really odd what went for a good idea in those days.

just sayin'

cheers

Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

BTW....it did kill the mozzie's

FWIW

Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''it was the day of the 'new and improved thing' after all, and most were still 'true believers' in the gov't. (re:love canal, etc.)

Poignant example to be sure.

L8r
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic