Free Beer! Not.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Nomad
Tourist

Free Beer! Not.

Post by Nomad »

Cambodia beer in a can bought from supermarkets, convenience stores and elsewhere. Pull the tab win a free beer, right? Wrong! The only place I've ever been able to redeem them was a little shop at Psar Kabko. The owner would bring out a chair so I could sit and have a beer or two whilst watching that little part of the world pass by and was genuinely happy when I won. Tried Lucky Super and Smile Mart but they said in true Khmer fashion, "cannot". Don't even ask them why. Actually go ahead and ask for amusement purposes. Anyone out there have any luck? I've got six so I'll be set for Saturday morning if I can find a place to redeem them. Have :facepalm: a great weekend!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Free Beer! Not.

Post by General Mackevili »

I've redeemed them at mom and pop stores.

Hell, even at bars. Hit or miss, I guess.

If I ever win a moto I'll be sure to ask Lucky Supermarket to redeem it first, just for shits and giggles.

:beer1:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Normally the smaller mom and pop stores always let you redeem them.

I have never had any issues, I normally wait until I have 24 and get a full case, as long as I'm buying other stuff while I am at it they don't charge anything for a the beer and it is just swapped for the tabs.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Supermarkets are never going to redeem them. Also, don't expect to buy here, there and everywhere and change them somewhere. If you frequent 1 or 2 mum and dad shops and they get to know you as a regular however , they will redeem them. I'm like Kiwi, I buy my beer from 2 stalls ( depending on the time of night) Save 24 and cash them in for a carton. No problems.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

kiwiincambodia wrote:Normally the smaller mom and pop
Since when have kiwi's said " mom and pop"? You say it the right way, same as Ozzies - "mum and dad" Bloody yankee influence! :facepalm:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Free Beer! Not.

Hotdigr wrote:Bloody yankee influence!
Great, isn't it?

When will you guys start calling it soccer?
:stir:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

General Mackevili wrote:
Great, isn't it?

:stir:
Called it soccer all my life mate, same as all Ozzies and Kiwi's my age.A lot longer then you bloody Yanks even played the game I reckon. Football is either Rugby League ( number 1!) Australian Rules ( number 2) or bloody Rugby ( last and except for soccer, least!).
Do your researh dig! Google is your friend!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Free Beer! Not.

Hotdigr wrote: Called it soccer all my life mate, same as all Ozzies and Kiwi's my age.
Only the Brits to go then...

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Nomad wrote:Cambodia beer in a can bought from supermarkets, convenience stores and elsewhere. Pull the tab win a free beer, right? Wrong! The only place I've ever been able to redeem them was a little shop at Psar Kabko. The owner would bring out a chair so I could sit and have a beer or two whilst watching that little part of the world pass by and was genuinely happy when I won. Tried Lucky Super and Smile Mart but they said in true Khmer fashion, "cannot". Don't even ask them why. Actually go ahead and ask for amusement purposes. Anyone out there have any luck? I've got six so I'll be set for Saturday morning if I can find a place to redeem them. Have :facepalm: a great weekend!
Smile mart is apparently owned by a white Canadian, the one that also owns Super Duper, according tho the thread that accuses him of extortion on TOF. You think not getting a free beer is bad? Try winning the lottery in Vietnam... Yep, you need to drink at a good local shop, those expensive mart stores don't seem to want to give the deals.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:
Great, isn't it?

Aww don't, you'll attract him back.
I met a 'new recruit' the other day from the US, he got talking about American Football as though it would be alien to me. I told him I'd played under the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears franchises as a Left Tackle in Australia (Yankians will tell you the LT is the second-most critical player on the paddock) and he refused to believe me. Even Mrs S confirming it was not enough for him. I said, "okay, look at me and think 20 years younger, and add armour..." and he reluctantly agreed it was possible. When I then told him that young American smartarses that came to play in Australia and show the primitives how it is done usually got rekt - he went back to disbelieving. I found his lack of faith disturbing.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic