Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

yellowPoint wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:40 am Hello everyone, I am new here in the forum. At the moment I have been living in Thailand for 4 years and have a rented apartment, so I am flexible when it comes to moving. I have been interested in Cambodia for some time now.
I will browse the forum looking for posts about a visa for expatriates, a visa agency that deserves your seal of approval, a rental property agent you trust for Phnom Phen and an agency that will help me get a bank account and a cell phone number. Let's see how hard it is to find the right things here ;-). Maybe there is an agency that offers everything! I have all my posts translated into English as I don't speak English very well.
I did my visas DIY ... easy if you research in advance. You can catch city bus at Central market and it costs just 1500 KHRUSHCHEV drops you at bus stop 50 meters from immigration/visa office ... easy-peasy.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:15 pm
yellowPoint wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:40 am Hello everyone, I am new here in the forum. At the moment I have been living in Thailand for 4 years and have a rented apartment, so I am flexible when it comes to moving. I have been interested in Cambodia for some time now.
I will browse the forum looking for posts about a visa for expatriates, a visa agency that deserves your seal of approval, a rental property agent you trust for Phnom Phen and an agency that will help me get a bank account and a cell phone number. Let's see how hard it is to find the right things here ;-). Maybe there is an agency that offers everything! I have all my posts translated into English as I don't speak English very well.
I did my visas DIY ... easy if you research in advance. You can catch city bus at Central market and it costs just 1500 KHRUSHCHEV drops you at bus stop 50 meters from immigration/visa office ... easy-peasy.
Unless the OP is fluent in Khmer I can see some complications when OP has to deal with the immigration officers @ The DoI.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

MILITARY HISTORY

Matthew (Mateo) James Hevezi enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on November 16, 1987, in Oakland, California.

Following boot camp at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, CA, he attended initial Military Occupation Specialty (“MOS”) training at the U.S. Marine Corps Engineer School, Camp Lejeune, NC.

He was then assigned to the 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division at Camp Pendleton, CA, as an engineer equipment mechanic.

In 1990, he was transferred to Okinawa, Japan, where he performed duties at 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group, as a Hazardous Materials and Safety Noncommissioned Officer-in-Charge.

He returned to Camp Pendleton in 1991 and reenlisted as a Combat Correspondent.

He served in Compton, CA, with the 1st Marine Regiment as a Combat Correspondent in 1992 during the Los Angeles Riots.

As a sergeant, he deployed to Camp Doha, Kuwait, in 1993 with 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) as Public Affairs Chief where he provided direct staff support to both flag and field-grade officers and trained junior officers for their public affairs duties.

During that deployment, he documented numerous field operations with photographs and articles including: United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission (UNIKOM) inside the Iraq-Kuwait DMZ; Joint land-mine clearing operations with U.S. and Pakistani soldiers; 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit tank and heavy weapons training at Udari Range; and Maritime Prepositioning Force offload operations.

He was also assigned media liaison and diplomatic duties working directly with the Kuwaiti Ministry of Information and international media members.

He was transferred to Recruiting Station Albuquerque, NM, in 1994 where he directed Marine Corps marketing and advertising efforts in a four-state region.

While there, he directly contributed to the RS Albuquerque recruiters achieving a historic milestone of 100 consecutive months of meeting their assigned contract enlistment quotas.

Upon assignment to Marine Forces Pacific (“MARFORPAC”) at Camp Smith, Hawaii in 1997, he served as Public Affairs Plans and Operations Chief, providing support and assistance for multi-national operations throughout the Pacific, Persian Gulf, and East Africa theaters.

He also served collateral duties as the command’s Community Relations Chief and as a Commander-in-Chief Pacific “Senior Correspondent” in support of Asia-Pacific Defense Forum magazine.

His assignments included: Roving Sands-97, El Paso, Texas;Cobra Gold-98, Kanchanaburi, Thailand; Forest Light-98, Kirishima, Japan; and RSO & I (Reception, Staging, Onward Movement, and Integration) exercise in South Korea.

He was then competitively selected for advanced graduate-level studies at Syracuse University’s Military Photojournalism Program during the 1999-2000 academic year, where he earned Dean’s List honors both semesters.

In July 2000, he volunteered for overseas duty and was assigned to III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan. In Japan, he served in various positions including Managing Editor, Operations Chief, and Training Chief.

His off-island deployments while assigned in Okinawa included: Cobra Gold-01, Phitsonulok, Thailand; Non-combatant Evacuation training with 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, and Expeditionary Airfield survey operations with 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, on the island of Tinian, Micronesia; Cobra Gold-02, Sattahip, Thailand; Island Vigor-01, Yap, Micronesia; Island Vigor-02, Pohnpei, Micronesia; Fire Dragon-01, Camp Fuji, Japan; and the 58th Anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima ceremonies on Iwo Jima.

Matthew is a Distinguished Graduate of Syracuse University’s Military Photojournalism Program (2000), Marine Corps University’s resident Staff Noncommissioned Officer Academy Career Course (1997), Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School (1992).

He is a graduate of Marine Corps Engineer School (1988), Defense Information School’s Public Affairs Supervisor Course (1994), Intermediate Photojournalism Course (1998), E-Journalism Course (1995), Joint Public Affairs Supervisor Course (1995).

His education also includes undergraduate studies at: University of Maryland, Central Texas College, Palomar Community College, University of California-Berkeley, and a lengthy list of local and remote military courses.

He completed 35 nonresident courses via the Marine Corps Institute and Marine Corps University, including both the Advanced Course and the Warfighting Skills Program.

In 2003, he received recommendations for assignment to the Marine Corps Degree Completion Program from the III MEF Deputy Public Affairs Officer, Captain Landon Hutchens, USMC, and the 7th Fleet Marine Expeditionary Unit Liaison Officer, Colonel Christopher Blanchard.

As a Marine Corps Combat Correspondent, Matthew's awards included: Thomas Jefferson Awards (1992, 1993 and 2004), Leatherneck Magazine's Lou Lowery Award (1993), USMC Combat Correspondent Association's Distinguished Performance Awards for feature writing (1998, 1999) photojournalism (1993, 1999), Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Medal for magazine spread design (2000).

He was also competitively selected as an assigned military photojournalist and his work covering the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment training at Jungle Warfare Training Center was published in the Harper Collins book “Day in the Life of the U.S. Armed Forces” (2003).

Throughout his career he was recognized for his sustained outstanding service.

Below are a few additional examples of his outstanding service:

 GySgt Hevezi was twice awarded the Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal for professional excellence and leadership in 1993 and 1999.

 He was nominated for the Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal in 1997 after being selected as RS Albuquerque’s Marine of the Year.

 He was nominated to receive the Army Achievement Medal in 1997 for outstanding leadership and performance during joint operations with the Army Fort Bliss, TX, during Roving Sands-97.

 In 2002, he was nominated to receive his third Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal for his performance as Operations Chief during Cobra Gold-02. However, Matthew refused the award nomination and instead insisted that one of his subordinate junior NCOs—Cpl Mark Allen—receive it.

 As a corporal in 1992, he graduated second overall in his class, and earned a Certificate of Academic Achievement for his 97.2% class average at NCO Leadership School at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. He graduated second in his class which consisted of both Corporals and Sergeants.

 On September 3, 1993, he was selected as Headquarters and Support Battalion NCO of the Month at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

 He was the subject of Meritorious Masts for outstanding professional achievements and performance in 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994 (twice), and 1995.

 In 1997, he received a CINCPAC Fleet Certificate of Commendation for his volunteer service as a Drug Abuse Resistance and Education program counselor at Naval Station Pearl Harbor, HI.

 He received a Certificate of Commendation from the Commanding Officer, 8th Marine Corps District, New Orleans, in 1996.

 In 2002, he received a Certificate of Commendation from the Commanding Officer, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base, Camp Smedley D. Butler located in Okinawa, Japan.

 He was awarded Certificates of Achievement from the Office of the Secretary of Defense for his honorable mentions in the 1998 and 2002 Military Photographer of the Year competitions.

 In 1993, he wrote an unprecedented Standard Operating Procedure and developed billet descriptions for personnel publishing the Camp Pendleton newspaper—The Scout. He also developed a speaker bureau, mentoring program, and spring training workshop that involved prestigious civilian photojournalists from across the United States.

 He received a Certificate of Commendation from the Director, Marine Corps Public Affairs in 2004.

 In May 2005, he received a Merit Award from the Marine Corps Headquarters Division of Public Affairs for professionalism and excellence through journalistic achievement.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Not braggin' ... just sayin'
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:48 am MILITARY HISTORY

Matthew (Mateo) James Hevezi enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on November 16, 1987, in Oakland, California.

Following boot camp at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, CA, he attended initial Military Occupation Specialty (“MOS”) training at the U.S. Marine Corps Engineer School, Camp Lejeune, NC.

He was then assigned to the 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division at Camp Pendleton, CA, as an engineer equipment mechanic.

In 1990, he was transferred to Okinawa, Japan, where he performed duties at 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group, as a Hazardous Materials and Safety Noncommissioned Officer-in-Charge.

He served in Compton, CA, with the 1st Marine Regiment as a Combat Correspondent in 1992 during the Los Angeles Riots.

As a sergeant, he deployed to Camp Doha, Kuwait, in 1993 with 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) as Public Affairs Chief where he provided direct staff support to both flag and field-grade officers and trained junior officers for their public affairs duties.

During that deployment, he documented numerous field operations with photographs and articles including: United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission (UNIKOM) inside the Iraq-Kuwait DMZ; Joint land-mine clearing operations with U.S. and Pakistani soldiers; 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit tank and heavy weapons training at Udari Range; and Maritime Prepositioning Force offload operations.

He was also assigned media liaison and diplomatic duties working directly with the Kuwaiti Ministry of Information and international media members.

He was transferred to Recruiting Station Albuquerque, NM, in 1994 where he directed Marine Corps marketing and advertising efforts in a four-state region.

While there, he directly contributed to the RS Albuquerque recruiters achieving a historic milestone of 100 consecutive months of meeting their assigned contract enlistment quotas.

Upon assignment to Marine Forces Pacific (“MARFORPAC”) at Camp Smith, Hawaii in 1997, he served as Public Affairs Plans and Operations Chief, providing support and assistance for multi-national operations throughout the Pacific, Persian Gulf, and East Africa theaters.

He also served collateral duties as the command’s Community Relations Chief and as a Commander-in-Chief Pacific “Senior Correspondent” in support of Asia-Pacific Defense Forum magazine.

His assignments included: Roving Sands-97, El Paso, Texas;Cobra Gold-98, Kanchanaburi, Thailand; Forest Light-98, Kirishima, Japan; and RSO & I (Reception, Staging, Onward Movement, and Integration) exercise in South Korea.

He was then competitively selected for advanced graduate-level studies at Syracuse University’s Military Photojournalism Program during the 1999-2000 academic year, where he earned Dean’s List honors both semesters.

In July 2000, he volunteered for overseas duty and was assigned to III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan. In Japan, he served in various positions including Managing Editor, Operations Chief, and Training Chief.

His off-island deployments while assigned in Okinawa included: Cobra Gold-01, Phitsonulok, Thailand; Non-combatant Evacuation training with 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, and Expeditionary Airfield survey operations with 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, on the island of Tinian, Micronesia; Cobra Gold-02, Sattahip, Thailand; Island Vigor-01, Yap, Micronesia; Island Vigor-02, Pohnpei, Micronesia; Fire Dragon-01, Camp Fuji, Japan; and the 58th Anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima ceremonies on Iwo Jima.

Matthew is a Distinguished Graduate of Syracuse University’s Military Photojournalism Program (2000), Marine Corps University’s resident Staff Noncommissioned Officer Academy Career Course (1997), Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School (1992).

He is a graduate of Marine Corps Engineer School (1988), Defense Information School’s Public Affairs Supervisor Course (1994), Intermediate Photojournalism Course (1998), E-Journalism Course (1995), Joint Public Affairs Supervisor Course (1995).

His education also includes undergraduate studies at: University of Maryland, Central Texas College, Palomar Community College, University of California-Berkeley, and a lengthy list of local and remote military courses.

He completed 35 nonresident courses via the Marine Corps Institute and Marine Corps University, including both the Advanced Course and the Warfighting Skills Program.

In 2003, he received recommendations for assignment to the Marine Corps Degree Completion Program from the III MEF Deputy Public Affairs Officer, Captain Landon Hutchens, USMC, and the 7th Fleet Marine Expeditionary Unit Liaison Officer, Colonel Christopher Blanchard.

As a Marine Corps Combat Correspondent, Matthew's awards included: Thomas Jefferson Awards (1992, 1993 and 2004), Leatherneck Magazine's Lou Lowery Award (1993), USMC Combat Correspondent Association's Distinguished Performance Awards for feature writing (1998, 1999) photojournalism (1993, 1999), Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Medal for magazine spread design (2000).

He was also competitively selected as an assigned military photojournalist and his work covering the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment training at Jungle Warfare Training Center was published in the Harper Collins book “Day in the Life of the U.S. Armed Forces” (2003).

 GySgt Hevezi was twice awarded the Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal for professional excellence and leadership in 1993 and 1999.

 He was nominated for the Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal in 1997 after being selected as RS Albuquerque’s Marine of the Year.

 He was nominated to receive the Army Achievement Medal in 1997 for outstanding leadership and performance during joint operations with the Army Fort Bliss, TX, during Roving Sands-97.

 In 2002, he was nominated to receive his third Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal for his performance as Operations Chief during Cobra Gold-02. However, Matthew refused the award nomination and instead insisted that one of his subordinate junior NCOs—Cpl Mark Allen—receive it.

 As a corporal in 1992, he graduated second overall in his class, and earned a Certificate of Academic Achievement for his 97.2% class average at NCO Leadership School at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. He graduated second in his class which consisted of both Corporals and Sergeants.

 On September 3, 1993, he was selected as Headquarters and Support Battalion NCO of the Month at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

 He was the subject of Meritorious Masts for outstanding professional achievements and performance in 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994 (twice), and 1995.

 In 1997, he received a CINCPAC Fleet Certificate of Commendation for his volunteer service as a Drug Abuse Resistance and Education program counselor at Naval Station Pearl Harbor, HI.

 He received a Certificate of Commendation from the Commanding Officer, 8th Marine Corps District, New Orleans, in 1996.

 In 2002, he received a Certificate of Commendation from the Commanding Officer, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base, Camp Smedley D. Butler located in Okinawa, Japan.

 He was awarded Certificates of Achievement from the Office of the Secretary of Defense for his honorable mentions in the 1998 and 2002 Military Photographer of the Year competitions.

 In 1993, he wrote an unprecedented Standard Operating Procedure and developed billet descriptions for personnel publishing the Camp Pendleton newspaper—The Scout. He also developed a speaker bureau, mentoring program, and spring training workshop that involved prestigious civilian photojournalists from across the United States.

 He received a Certificate of Commendation from the Director, Marine Corps Public Affairs in 2004.

 In May 2005, he received a Merit Award from the Marine Corps Headquarters Division of Public Affairs for professionalism and excellence through journalistic achievement.
In 2023, he earned the title of cannabis farmer in Cambodia, where he lived happily ever after telling his stories to alcoholics anonymous online.

"The End"
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:41 am "The End"
Promise?
greggles
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by greggles »

Coming and going from Cambodia occasionally, mainly Phnom Penh.
Seeking many things; not easy to find the important things though.
Happy to meet in person for a chat.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

So basically you were Robin Williams,from Good Morning Vietnam in the flesh?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Earl of Mercia wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:10 am

So basically you were Robin Williams,from Good Morning Vietnam in the flesh?
Nah ... I failed the voice test .., even though prior to joining up, I was program director and morning show host at KVHS 90.5 FM ... and my mom (RIP) was a BIG TIME radio personality in San Fran.
WifeOfAlgerian
Tourist
Algeria

Post by WifeOfAlgerian »

Hello I have just visited Siem Reap and it's now #1 on my retirement list. We are a Ghanaian-American and Algerian. We currently live in Nigeria and hope to relocate June 2025. Looking forvisa advice to help with my husband's visa for entry. Thanks for the add.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic