Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by pissontheroof »

rangers24 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:27 pm Greetings all,
I'm an American expat living in Bangkok for the last 10+ years.
As many of you might know, rumor has it that they might be requiring all retirees to purchase Thai medical insurance. Since I have had international health insurance since the time I retired and am over 65, it would be a deal breaker for me.
As such, I have been researching Cambodia, specifically PP, as a place of interest for me to live.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Tommy

Surprising you can’t opt out of that if you’re already covered . is it that expensive ?
I think it would be a disappointment but look at it this way , you can easily go back to krung thep whenever. you get sick

And not have to jump thru that hoop with THEM about Thai medical insurance— you could adjust here
I just turned 70 1/2 + and wish I had insurance for here . Mine is veteran insurance not available here .
I like driving on the “ right “ side of the road and using an american $ 🇺🇸$ credit card 💳 saves heaps of ATM fees

i can’t comment anything about Pp except it freaks me out

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

As many of you might know, rumor has it that they might be requiring all retirees to purchase Thai medical insurance. Since I have had international health insurance since the time I retired and am over 65, it would be a deal breaker for me.
As such, I have been researching Cambodia, specifically PP, as a place of interest for me to live.
Regards,
Tommy
Welcome to the forum,

I think most members here would suggest you come over for a while to scout out the scene as to where you might like to live before making firm commitments. Of course there's many options within PP or elsewhere eg Siem Reap, Kampot, Sihanoukville depending on what you like.

As you probably know, getting a 12 mth retiree visa here is easy and you don't have to leave the country to renew it.

For more specifics, suggest you start a topic in the Questions & Answers sub forum where you'll get more views.

cheers CC
rangers24
Tourist
United States of America

Post by rangers24 »

I'm a bit confused on how to reply to someone's post.
Can I get I get a little tutorial?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

rangers24 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:40 am I'm a bit confused on how to reply to someone's post.
Not sure what it looks like on your device, but on a desktop, over on the right hand side, click on the quotation icon.
rangers24
Tourist
United States of America

Post by rangers24 »

pissontheroof wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:35 pm
Regards,
Tommy

Surprising you can’t opt out of that if you’re already covered . is it that expensive ?
I think it would be a disappointment but look at it this way , you can easily go back to krung thep whenever. you get sick

And not have to jump thru that hoop with THEM about Thai medical insurance— you could adjust here
I just turned 70 1/2 + and wish I had insurance for here . Mine is veteran insurance not available here .
I like driving on the “ right “ side of the road and using an american $ 🇺🇸$ credit card 💳 saves heaps of ATM fees

i can’t comment anything about Pp except it freaks me out

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Thanks for your reply

The required (Thai only) medical insurance has not been implemented yet for my type of visa, but if it does I will look to live elsewhere and PP is on my radar. Not sure of the cost but it would probably be prohibitively expensive because of my age.
Also, another burden that is expected to increase is the 25k US that must be deposited in a Thai bank to get a yearly extension of stay and basically cannot be touched.

Can you explain why PP freaks you out? 😆
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Regards,
Tommy
unfounded rumor
ignore
if ur happy in Bangkok, Cambodia wont cut it for you
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rangers24
Tourist
United States of America

Post by rangers24 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:37 am
Regards,
Tommy
Welcome to the forum,

I think most members here would suggest you come over for a while to scout out the scene as to where you might like to live before making firm commitments. Of course there's many options within PP or elsewhere eg Siem Reap, Kampot, Sihanoukville depending on what you like.

As you probably know, getting a 12 mth retiree visa here is easy and you don't have to leave the country to renew it.

For more specifics, suggest you start a topic in the Questions & Answers sub forum where you'll get more views.

cheers CC
Thanks for your input

Since I'm originally from NYC I am used to big cities. I feel PP would be my kind of city. From the videos that I have seen, those other places seem a bit too rural for my tastes. But, of course, I will spend some time around PP before I commit.
I love Thailand, especially Bangkok, but it seems like they are trying to squeeze out us retirees with more drastic requirements.
I think Cambodia offers more bang for the buck.
rangers24
Tourist
United States of America

Post by rangers24 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:09 am
rangers24 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:40 am I'm a bit confused on how to reply to someone's post.
Not sure what it looks like on your device, but on a desktop, over on the right hand side, click on the quotation icon.
Thanks! 🙏
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL:
"...I think Cambodia offers more bang for the buck."
NOPE<
i see no changes coming for those on Retirement extensions.
no increase in needed amount in Bank ( 800,000) or cracking down on agents offering to sidestep this for you
or making a requirement for insurance other than the same it has been for those on O-A visas which requires any insurance not thai>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rangers24
Tourist
United States of America

Post by rangers24 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:22 am
Regards,
Tommy
unfounded rumor
ignore
if ur happy in Bangkok, Cambodia wont cut it for you
I hope it is an unfounded rumor, but since living here previous rumors pertaining to visa changes to the detriment of the retiree have come true.
I'm just looking to cover my bum in case the SHTF.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic