Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Anchor Moy »

pattricksusan1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:35 pm Hi guys how can I introduce myself here.
Welcome. Just jump in and post on any topics that interest you. Are you in Cambodia ?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:57 pm
Izzy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:44 pm Finally, I get to experience Cambodia for more than a few weeks at a time! My best friends here in Phnom Penh are Mr. DIY, Pass App, and ABA! They helped me get settled into my apartment and have been there for me every step of the way. I still need to sort out where to eat, shop, and while away the hours. I love Cambodia and I'm just Happy To Be Here!
If you found Mr DIY (great shop) then you must have found Lucky's, Supermarket. There is also Super Duper (4 locations), Bayon (street 118 and Monivong) and Thai Huot (5 locations). That's about it for anything that resembles a food shopping outlet. One full-size Big C would wipe the floor with the lot of them. One day....
there is Makro in PP which i found had everything needed and comparable to a Big C superstore in Thailand

FYI:
dont stock up much in mini marts , things are priced over the top
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

Hello, Im pretty sure im moving to Cambodia, Kampot area seems my style. My monthly Budget Canadian will be 1500.Any tips tricks or advice would be much appreciated.i turn 65 Oct. Im ready to leave within the next couple of months to check it out. If i like it, im staying.
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

I also Intend to buy a motorcycle. Is it best to buy one in VietNam and drive over the border. Is the Airblade 125 cc a good choice, or shall i go 125 cc dirt bike. That comes to licence. can i get a bigger bike without be bothered by the authorities..... Also any recreational fishing,,,
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

and Golf..Patios and drinks...
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

johnoconnor wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:10 pm Hello, Im pretty sure im moving to Cambodia, Kampot area seems my style. My monthly Budget Canadian will be 1500.Any tips tricks or advice would be much appreciated.i turn 65 Oct. Im ready to leave within the next couple of months to check it out. If i like it, im staying.
that’s a bit of a poor budget at $1,100 USD but it is possible. I could do it because I eat simple foods I cook myself and don’t drink or smoke or whore. But if you have a gf you will find a lot more pressure to spend money. Mine spends way more than me just in food every day - plus she needs the usual lotions and such.

You should have some reserves that you can draw on for travel and fights home as well as medical expenses and you should get some health insurance which is not cheap.

On the bike - if you can just buy a new one it depreciates little and is much more enjoyable and safer too.

If you’re out of country for more than 6 mos you will lose your health insurance when you return. If/when you return it can be terribly expensive to find a place to stay and a car to drive unless someone is happy to hook you up. If you sell your car and are no longer insured good luck with that as you will pay the same as an 16 yo on a new policy.

But you can get an apartment for 3-400 (and less) that is quite comfortable and even if you allow $20 a day for food (not necessary) it’s $600 so you have a bit left for cell and other stuff.

Good luck but let me ask - why Cambodia? Have you been here before?
Stay classy na
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

No i havent. Im coming to look soon to see if i like and and can afford it... I have a start up fund over 10k. Divorced male .. Ive got quotes already for insurance @3000 a year. Thats 250 Canadian..then i have 1250 for rent and to live.. Not a big drinker ,,blood thinners,, do like girls thou..
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

Ive researched Cambodia... No huge fees to retire.. 300 bucks a year... Like my son said,,, with what i have to spend it will go way farther there...Ive thought about this for a while,, but because i didnt work due to illness my pension is lower and now i just got the numbers
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

johnoconnor wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:24 am Ive researched Cambodia... No huge fees to retire.. 300 bucks a year... Like my son said,,, with what i have to spend it will go way farther there...Ive thought about this for a while,, but because i didnt work due to illness my pension is lower and now i just got the numbers
will you get CPP OAS and GIS? I think you won’t get GIS out of country but it is worth almost 1000 for low income people and you should qualify for it.

It is true that your money will go further mostly because of rent - where you can get something decent in Cambodia for 300 that would cost you 1500 in Canada. Don’t forget you will pay electricity which is expensive.

Do you think you will save a lot buying a bike in VN or are you just doing that to kick off a riding adventure?

Costs are rising rapidly too so keep that in mind as you plan your retirement. Inflation is everywhere.

P.S a 10 grand cushion is not much and are you buying your flights with that? You should really have 30-50k at least for emergency. But you can maybe earn a bit to supplement your lifestyle.
Stay classy na
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

my cushion of 10 k is with flight paid on the ground with motorbike,, No i could land in Cambodia.. But i heard if you buy a cambodian bike you cant take out of country i guess thats might be without papers..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic