CHBAP PROH, code of conduct of Cambodian men

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: CHBAP PROH, code of conduct of Cambodian men

Post by juansweetpotato »

prahkeitouj wrote:Yes, it is really good! Don't be mad with girls,don't be mad with alcohol, don't be mad with gambling.
But 'always carry a knife'? :?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote:More from Sambok. Apologies for the quality of the photos. They were taken on phone along time ago - the era before smartphones.
Brilliant images. Very Hieronymus Bosch. What's eating her bottom?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:More from Sambok. Apologies for the quality of the photos. They were taken on phone along time ago - the era before smartphones.
Thanks. Can you see them ok? When i posted them they were a bit dark, but visible; online they are hardly visible on my computer. I was thinking of taking them off if no one can see them ? They were in shadow and the sunlight was very bright.
If I get up there later this year I will take photos of the whole series of the pictures of hell - there are more. But, yeah, very graphic illustrations of what will happen to you if you misbehave.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: CHBAP PROH, code of conduct of Cambodian men

Post by prahkeitouj »

juansweetpotato wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Yes, it is really good! Don't be mad with girls,don't be mad with alcohol, don't be mad with gambling.
But 'always carry a knife'? :?
No knife, but gun. Image
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Anchor Moy wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Thanks. Can you see them ok? When i posted them they were a bit dark, but visible; online they are hardly visible on my computer. I was thinking of taking them off if no one can see them ? They were in shadow and the sunlight was very bright.
If I get up there later this year I will take photos of the whole series of the pictures of hell - there are more. But, yeah, very graphic illustrations of what will happen to you if you misbehave.
Climbing on the RoKa Daek tree( Daek means metal, Roka is a spiked tree) because they had affair with anyone wife or husband.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

John Bingham wrote:I'm always amazed at how strictly local men (and women) adhere to these "codes of conduct." They have this stuff nailed.
You can take that to the bank.

The only Khmer communities where I had a feeling about such traditional values being largely unchanged was in Khmer Krom deep countryside villages but I never stayed longh enough to ascertain to which degree they were respected.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Yep, can see them fine. The uploader you used must have an auto adjust feature. Do you know if there are more places around with paintings such as these?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

prahkeitouj wrote:
Climbing on the RoKa Daek tree( Daek means metal, Roka is a spiked tree) because they had affair with anyone wife or husband.
Thanks for the info, I notice one of the figures (getting its foot bitten off) , looks like a child! Any idea what animal is eating it?
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: CHBAP PROH, code of conduct of Cambodian men

Post by prahkeitouj »

juansweetpotato wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Thanks for the info, I notice one of the figures (getting its foot bitten off) , looks like a child! Any idea what animal is eating it?
I don't think he is a child, it is a man who is eaten by a black dog. That picture is about the punishment of sexual misbehavior such as having affair with someone's wife or husband, steal anyone daughter or rape...
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Yep, can see them fine. The uploader you used must have an auto adjust feature. Do you know if there are more places around with paintings such as these?
If you want to see, there are a lot in Vihear of pagodas.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic