American Girl Tells Her Story of How She Scammed the Scammers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

American Girl Tells Her Story of How She Scammed the Scammers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

I was in one of my Google trances and somehow ended up on a blog by an American lady who shares her experience about her ordeal with the infamous Filipino Blackjack Scammers.

Unlike the other blog I linked to a few days ago, which sucked pretty badly, I happen to like this lady's blog.

Her story happened last year, but there are quite a few comments from people who say the exact same scam has happened to them recently, some even mentioning that they were drugged.

The blog is called "This American Girl"

Excerpt:

Surrounded by strangers, at night, alone, in a sketchy neighborhood on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, I had just realized I was in the midst of an elaborate scam.

It all began on the river at sunset.

Like a watering hole in the Sahara, animals with all spots and stripes congregate along the Tonle Sap River at sunset in sweltering Phnom Penh.

I dodged flying soccer balls passed between teenagers and watched curiously while older men used a playground of exercise equipment and women flung half-heartedly to orchestrated dance aerobics.

Suddenly aware that every person around me in this enclosed, isolated space had a cruel intention I began to panic. Seriously panic. Worse than I ever had in my life.  But no matter how terrified I was I knew that I needed to save my face by letting them save theirs.

We reached the bottom of the stairs and when I glanced down at the motorbike diagonally parked on the maroon checkered tiles, that image conjured only what I can describe as intense déjà vu. A voice inside me said, “You’ve been here before and something very bad happens.”

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram