Bastard landlords...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Bastard landlords...

Post by juansweetpotato »

takeoman wrote:Sounds like he has been getting shit from the family over your departure, now his attempt to stop that has resulted in him losing face.

That's kinda what I was thinking. There is a hierarchy to deal with. I'm surprised a woman didn't take over the negotiating. It may not be him and he may well be getting a heap of shit from someone higher up in the family?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

juansweetpotato wrote:
takeoman wrote:Sounds like he has been getting shit from the family over your departure, now his attempt to stop that has resulted in him losing face.

That's kinda what I was thinking. There is a hierarchy to deal with. I'm surprised a woman didn't take over the negotiating. It may not be him and he may well be getting a heap of shit from someone higher up in the family?
Yeah, almost guaranteed. It's unusual that we've only seen the missus once or twice, and she's never been involved in dealings. The daughter usually tags along as his 'secret language spy' but hasn't been seen for a while. It's probably a saving grace that this guy shamed himself on his own, with no family witnesses, otherwise he'd almost have to do something dickish to follow up.

His nephew is the neighbour we have constant trouble with (parking in our space, blocking our access, probably camping on our power supply, etc.) so we can't do much by stealth - will have to be a dash and run job, hopefully next week. Removalist is booked and flexible, which is good.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

StroppyChops wrote:will have to be a dash and run job, hopefully next week. Removalist is booked and flexible, which is good.
Sounds like the right idea to me. If they try for an altercation, maybe try the totally silent with a smile technique. I have tried it in Vietnam when restaurants have tried to charge me outrageous prices that are not on the menu. The outcome of not getting the blood pressure up and subsequent negative feelings afterwards, is more than worth it. Plus you beat them at their own game. You have to wait a while as they too and fro, offering you better and better deals. Well, at least that's the theory. Make sure your not in a hurry on the day.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

juansweetpotato wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:

Yeah, almost guaranteed. It's unusual that we've only seen the missus once or twice, and she's never been involved in dealings. The daughter usually tags along as his 'secret language spy' but hasn't been seen for a while. It's probably a saving grace that this guy shamed himself on his own, with no family witnesses, otherwise he'd almost have to do something dickish to follow up.

His nephew is the neighbour we have constant trouble with (parking in our space, blocking our access, probably camping on our power supply, etc.) so we can't do much by stealth - will have to be a dash and run job, hopefully next week. Removalist is booked and flexible, which is good.
Sounds like the right idea to me. If they try for an altercation, maybe try the totally silent with a smile technique. I have tried it in Vietnam when restaurants have tried to charge me outrageous prices that are not on the menu. You have to wait a while as they too and fro, offering you better and better deals. Make sure your not in a hurry on the day.
Yep - sounds like a plan. I honestly can't imagine he's got the nads to try what all of us know is possible. We'll see on the day, I guess. Before now and then I'm stripping out the CAT6/cable TV I've installed at a professional level, along with the water-proofing and rat-proofing, as well as the... well, you get the idea. Probably seems a bit childish, especially as I'm going to have to pay a tradie to come in and bog, but leaving this guy with free improvements feels like rewarding his knob behaviour.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Come on, tell me you're not extinguishing that righteous anger: do the chicken tampon thing!

Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord...get in the queue, you old git, saith vladimir
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

I'm enjoying this thread. Here's my question. Can your "removalist" really remove everything and put the place back in the same condition is was in when you rented it, without leaving a lot of holes in the wall and whatnot?

Was there other non-professional cable installed that you ripped out and disposed of?

I'm not taking the landlord's side, I'm just saying that your position will be stronger if you can put the premises back in the same condition and not leave it looking like a bank foreclosed Las Vegas home that the homeowner stripped everything out of before departing.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Jerry Atrick wrote:I've been paying rent for 16 of my 32 years and the only time I ever insisted upon a recipt was the year I rented from my evil dwarf brother.

Never had issues otherwise.

Are you Khmer?
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Cam Nivag wrote:I'm enjoying this thread. Here's my question. Can your "removalist" really remove everything and put the place back in the same condition is was in when you rented it, without leaving a lot of holes in the wall and whatnot?

Was there other non-professional cable installed that you ripped out and disposed of?

I'm not taking the landlord's side, I'm just saying that your position will be stronger if you can put the premises back in the same condition and not leave it looking like a bank foreclosed Las Vegas home that the homeowner stripped everything out of before departing.
The real problem is more likely to be the landlord having a totally different view to Stroppy on what the place was originally like. Can someone please video Stroppy escaping in the bright yellow missionary machine. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

takeoman wrote:
The real problem is more likely to be the landlord having a totally different view to Stroppy on what the place was originally like.
Stroppy's take;

Landlord's take;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... mbodia.jpg
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Landlords should never allow tenants to apply the security deposit to the last month's rent. It defeats the whole purpose of having a security deposit to cover the repairs when the tenant leaves the property in a deficient condition.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic