One of the Few Female Cambodian Deportees from the USA Shares Her Story

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Re: RE: Re: One of the Few Female Cambodian Deportees from the USA Shares Her Story

Post by qinjingyou »

rubberbaron wrote:I had some contact with the overseas Cambodian community in the U. S. because of my wife and I would agree that most stories are BS, but you can't just lump them together like this. It is really unbelievable, though, she did not know about her status. She needed to get a drivers license, a social security number. Even questionaires in school ask for your race, though not your nationality; so it never occurred to her that being Cambodian also involves the issue of nationality? Hard to believe. On the other hand, you have quite a few Khmer who pay overseas Cambodian-Americans to marry one of their children so they can emigrate there. Once these people people got their green cards, they can't wait for the 5 years to be over for them to apply for citizenship so they can sponsor their parents. This has been going on for a long time and these people are not necessarily the most educated either. Why do these people know how to do things, but those deportees have all been in the dark about any legal issues. The minute they were arrested for a felony their nationality came up. And they still didn't know? Of course, the moral question about these deportations would be for the U. S. government to answer.
You're right that they shouldn't all be lumped together, and the woman in the OP is just asking for money for her son, but it would be nice to know that she wasn't deported for fraud.
在见
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: One of the Few Female Cambodian Deportees from the USA Shares Her Story

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah i do believe that she should have mentioned her crime, if shes asking people for money for nothing (in the sense shes not doing anything to earn that money, she just wants it for a flight for her son) then she should state the reasons why she needs that money, being deported isnt the reason why, its the crime that lead to her deportation, if she got deported due to no fault of her own, then i could sympathize more, but just be more honest about it, a crime doesnt have to be violent to be bad... Theft, drugs, fraud etc.. for it to be one of the very few cases of a female being deported for a "non violent" crime it must have been something bad, espeshially considering they knew they would be separating her from her son, theres obviously more to the story than shes making out, i'm sure the deportation wasnt that much of a surprise either if it took 4 years for them to get the papers, she should have been putting money aside or preparing for the worst possible outcome
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

From the web:

“Over the past six years deportations of criminals are up 80 percent, and that’s why we’re going to keep focusing enforcement resources on actual threats to our security,” Obama said in his speech. “Felons, not families. Criminals, not children. Gang members, not a mom who’s working hard to provide for her kids.”

"A memo from the Department of Homeland Security said that any immigrant — including legal non-citizens — will be a priority for deportation if he or she has been convicted of an “aggravated felony” or certain misdemeanor crimes, such as driving under the influence. Any undocumented immigrant who falls into that category is also ineligible for the deportation protections laid out in Obama’s new plan.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Holy shit! ! She's raised $932 already! Kid might end up flying first class.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

To make this long story short.. I grew up in America, committed the crime, did my time (one year in prison and eight months in ICE), was released under supervision, worked, paid taxes, stayed clean, then was sent to Cambodia four years after being released when they (ICE) received my travel documents.
Is ICE immigration?

I'm amazed that a cagey criminal is able to gather so much money from strangers on the internet. As qinjingyou mentioned she could be a fraud or a con artist or similar.
Scarier than malaria.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: One of the Few Female Cambodian Deportees from the USA Shares Her Story

ali baba wrote:
I'm amazed that a cagey criminal is able to gather so much money from strangers on the internet.
I'm guessing many are friends.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mike Hunt
Tourist
Australia

Post by Mike Hunt »

She's easy enough to find using google...
Turns out to be a $3k credit card fraud cause she had a meth problem. The silly girl then signed an agreement to be deported as she'd heard that Cambodia wasn't taking people back!...She's 31..
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Mike Hunt wrote:Turns out to be a $3k credit card fraud cause she had a meth problem.
She'll get along fine here I'm sure.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Mike Hunt wrote:She's easy enough to find using google...
Turns out to be a $3k credit card fraud cause she had a meth problem. The silly girl then signed an agreement to be deported as she'd heard that Cambodia wasn't taking people back!...She's 31..
Ah, that elaborate's on why she didn't obtain citizenship.

Pich’s mother fled Phnom Penh after the Khmer Rouge came to power, and raised her mostly in Long Beach, California. A citizen herself, Pich’s mother urged her daughter to apply for naturalization. But Pich kept postponing it, first because of the expense, then because she misplaced her green card and would need to apply for a new one.

"I didn’t take it as a priority because I didn’t know how serious it was," said Pich.

After high school, Pich started using methamphetamine and then became pregnant. In 2005, when her son was less than a year old, she was arrested for racking up approximately $3,000 in credit card fraud. She spent a year in prison and then roughly nine months in immigration detention, she said. In order to get out of detention, she signed papers allowing for her deportation, waiving her right to a hearing before an immigration judge and the chance to appeal their decision. She felt there was little risk — Cambodia, acquaintances told her, wasn’t taking their people back.

Shit, reading this makes me want to call back to the States just to make damn sure my citizenship is in order.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

who on earth would want to give that silly bitch money, shes brought it all on her self
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic