Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Anchor Moy »

Starting on January 1, police will begin collecting $3.75 fines from all drivers and passengers caught not wearing a helmet...
This will take some enforcing, but at with a 15000r fine each time, people should learn fast.
Ty Long, deputy chief the National Police’s public order department, said that efforts were underway to prepare people for the enforcement of the new law, which requires all motorbike passengers over the age of 3 to wear a helmet...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/in-b ... nes-98073/
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Jaap N. »

Good luck with that!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

“In our television commercial…we try to make people more aware so that they will consider that ‘OK I don’t want to pay the fine, instead I will use my money…to buy a helmet for myself to protect myself and avoid the fine,’” said Mr. Pagna.
if all the disgusting pictures/videos of people with their brain splattered across the pavement doesnt scare them into buying a helmet then i dont think the commercial is going to make much difference!

how they going to enforce whole families wearing helmets? is it $3.75 for each family member? most of the helmets people wear are no good anyway, the amount of people ive seen riding around with a builders hard hat on as a motorbike helmate :facepalm:

good job the old bill go home at 5.30 in SHV lol then again if the fines are now $3.75 they might put in a few extra hours!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Here in Siem Reap, the police set up checkpoints daily on many roads and they catch many offenders.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
rRcq79SYyl7VcU8saeIQ
Expatriate

Post by rRcq79SYyl7VcU8saeIQ »

Holy cow, that's several beers.

Som bot!
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

Has anyone ever paid the full price for a traffic offence? My experience so far: The police officer names a price, you name a lower price, you meet somewhere in the middle, and don't receive any "receipt" from the police.

I wasn't even aware about any official fine catalogue...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I believe there is an official schedule of fees, but I can't be bothered looking for it right now.

You tell the police that you want a receipt. Don't give them anything without a receipt. You will then get the 'official' price, or they may even just wave you through.
Better still, wear a Go-Pro and you'll soon be waved through. :whip:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

In Sv the "official" fines were all around 5000r, but that could be more, or sometimes less. Now, at 15000r for no helmet, it's a whole new ballgame. The other fines will probably go up in line with this - official or not - IMO of course.

Whatza go-pro when it's at home ?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Make it $5 or lockup/confiscate the bike for 1 day. I'm with dagenham on this one.

I was at the hospital on 271 when they brought in a family of five who had been hit side-on by a truck, 3 with severe head injuries, terrible
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy wrote:Whatza go-pro when it's at home ?
This guy is wearing one. Go Pro = no fines.

:beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic