Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by cptrelentless »

Hmm, it's 3000r no helmet and 5000r no seatbelt here in SHV, which is the legal amount until January. I have to say I leave the discussion up to the wife.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
MX5?

:P
This my old car
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Nice car, AND a van full of Red Bull! Nice.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by prahkeitouj »

Anchor Moy wrote: PP prices I guess. In SV it's 5000r - for the moment at least. I get the feeling that traffic fines are about to increase across the board. That was one of the reservations I had about calling out the SV cops on their fines. They might just make it $5 for everything - in that case the tourists may be better off, but not the residents - and it's amazing how easy it is to forget you've left your light on from the night before. :(
I don't think it's PP price. Honestly, I always forget to turn the off the light. He he he...
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Jerry Atrick wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:It is still cheaper than I turn on the light at day time.
You pay more than 15000 for a light on ?
20000 riel for a light on, but I bargain 10000 riel. Maybe I'm look very gentle that was why every time I am fined is more expensive than others.
You should practice a tough look just for traffic police then!

I pay 5000R if I'm stopped on my bike. And I pay 10000R if I'm stopped in my car. I'm very rarely stopped - actually was not stopped from 2010 until this year, but the amounts I pay are still the same. I'll happily wait for them to accept the normal amount, and I'll smile and call the trap policeman "Bpuu" - always works. I've had them start negotiation as high as $40!!
I don't like to negotiate with them because the police was rude to me.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
MX5?

This my old car
MR2?

Hmm. Prefer the other hairdresser car an MX5! :beer:
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
MX5?

This my old car
MR2?

Never been a fan of Mazdas, theyre common as muck in the UK, plus the MR2 Spyder has a Rear enginged VVTi engine, and does 0-60 in 7s while the MX5 0-60 is nearly 10s
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Duncan wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:
Duncan wrote:If a 5000r tax on motorbikes is not worth while the government collecting because the cost is worth more than the fee,, then it's a wonder that HE did not give the same directive to forget about collecting a fee for no helmets being used.
Huh? Taxes and fines are totally different. The fine for not wearing a helmet was raised to increase compliance and (hopefully) save lives. It being cheaper to buy and wear a helmet than risk the fine. The moto tax was just about revenue and as you state "the cost is worth more than the fee".
They both end up in someone's back pocket, so what's different about them. If it's costing too much to collect, the answer is to be more efficient in the collection of the money.
Where the money ends up is immaterial wrt helmet compliance. If stiffer fines persuade people to wear helmets, lives are saved whether the money goes to the ministry or a policeman's back pocket. Efficiency of collection is another issue entirely.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Jerry Atrick wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:It is still cheaper than I turn on the light at day time.
You pay more than 15000 for a light on ?
20000 riel for a light on, but I bargain 10000 riel. Maybe I'm look very gentle that was why every time I am fined is more expensive than others.
You should practice a tough look just for traffic police then!

I pay 5000R if I'm stopped on my bike. And I pay 10000R if I'm stopped in my car. I'm very rarely stopped - actually was not stopped from 2010 until this year, but the amounts I pay are still the same. I'll happily wait for them to accept the normal amount, and I'll smile and call the trap policeman "Bpuu" - always works. I've had them start negotiation as high as $40!!
I don't like to negotiate with them because the police was rude to me.
So you reward them for their rudeness, with extra money?

Face is a strange thing sometimes.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
MX5?

This my old car
MR2?

Never been a fan of Mazdas, theyre common as muck in the UK, plus the MR2 Spyder has a Rear enginged VVTi engine, and does 0-60 in 7s while the MX5 0-60 is nearly 10s
Yeah. I had a mate with an MGF VVT but it was a bag of shite! Good engine mind.

He's now got an MX5 turbo thing.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic