Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 452
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by cptrelentless » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Hmm, it's 3000r no helmet and 5000r no seatbelt here in SHV, which is the legal amount until January. I have to say I leave the discussion up to the wife.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13797
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1987
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 pm

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
MX5?







:P
This my old car
Image
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1943
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Username Taken » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:59 pm

Nice car, AND a van full of Red Bull! Nice.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Posts: 2647
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 pm
Reputation: 11
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by prahkeitouj » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Anchor Moy wrote: PP prices I guess. In SV it's 5000r - for the moment at least. I get the feeling that traffic fines are about to increase across the board. That was one of the reservations I had about calling out the SV cops on their fines. They might just make it $5 for everything - in that case the tourists may be better off, but not the residents - and it's amazing how easy it is to forget you've left your light on from the night before. :(
I don't think it's PP price. Honestly, I always forget to turn the off the light. He he he...
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Posts: 2647
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 pm
Reputation: 11
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by prahkeitouj » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Jerry Atrick wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:It is still cheaper than I turn on the light at day time.
You pay more than 15000 for a light on ?
20000 riel for a light on, but I bargain 10000 riel. Maybe I'm look very gentle that was why every time I am fined is more expensive than others.
You should practice a tough look just for traffic police then!

I pay 5000R if I'm stopped on my bike. And I pay 10000R if I'm stopped in my car. I'm very rarely stopped - actually was not stopped from 2010 until this year, but the amounts I pay are still the same. I'll happily wait for them to accept the normal amount, and I'll smile and call the trap policeman "Bpuu" - always works. I've had them start negotiation as high as $40!!
I don't like to negotiate with them because the police was rude to me.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Posts: 2068
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 am
Reputation: 8
Ireland

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by SinnSisamouth » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:35 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
MX5?







:P
This my old car
Image
MR2?

Hmm. Prefer the other hairdresser car an MX5! :beer:
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13797
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1987
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:16 pm

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
MX5?







:P
This my old car
Image
MR2?

Hmm. Prefer the other hairdresser car an MX5! :beer:
Never been a fan of Mazdas, theyre common as muck in the UK, plus the MR2 Spyder has a Rear enginged VVTi engine, and does 0-60 in 7s while the MX5 0-60 is nearly 10s
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3448
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 608

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Kuroneko » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Duncan wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:
Duncan wrote:If a 5000r tax on motorbikes is not worth while the government collecting because the cost is worth more than the fee,, then it's a wonder that HE did not give the same directive to forget about collecting a fee for no helmets being used.
Huh? Taxes and fines are totally different. The fine for not wearing a helmet was raised to increase compliance and (hopefully) save lives. It being cheaper to buy and wear a helmet than risk the fine. The moto tax was just about revenue and as you state "the cost is worth more than the fee".
They both end up in someone's back pocket, so what's different about them. If it's costing too much to collect, the answer is to be more efficient in the collection of the money.
Where the money ends up is immaterial wrt helmet compliance. If stiffer fines persuade people to wear helmets, lives are saved whether the money goes to the ministry or a policeman's back pocket. Efficiency of collection is another issue entirely.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:19 pm
Reputation: 329
Central African Republic

Re: RE: Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Jerry Atrick » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:52 pm

prahkeitouj wrote:
Jerry Atrick wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:It is still cheaper than I turn on the light at day time.
You pay more than 15000 for a light on ?
20000 riel for a light on, but I bargain 10000 riel. Maybe I'm look very gentle that was why every time I am fined is more expensive than others.
You should practice a tough look just for traffic police then!

I pay 5000R if I'm stopped on my bike. And I pay 10000R if I'm stopped in my car. I'm very rarely stopped - actually was not stopped from 2010 until this year, but the amounts I pay are still the same. I'll happily wait for them to accept the normal amount, and I'll smile and call the trap policeman "Bpuu" - always works. I've had them start negotiation as high as $40!!
I don't like to negotiate with them because the police was rude to me.
So you reward them for their rudeness, with extra money?

Face is a strange thing sometimes.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Posts: 2068
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 am
Reputation: 8
Ireland

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by SinnSisamouth » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
MX5?







:P
This my old car
Image
MR2?

Hmm. Prefer the other hairdresser car an MX5! :beer:
Never been a fan of Mazdas, theyre common as muck in the UK, plus the MR2 Spyder has a Rear enginged VVTi engine, and does 0-60 in 7s while the MX5 0-60 is nearly 10s
Yeah. I had a mate with an MGF VVT but it was a bag of shite! Good engine mind.

He's now got an MX5 turbo thing.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angsta, Arget, atst, bobsboots, clutchcargo, Cruisemonkey, J21H21, lurcio, Pedroviera, PSD-Kiwi, simon43 and 523 guests