South-East Asia Illustrations and corresponding recordings in Khmer

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
aakanee
Tourist

South-East Asia Illustrations and corresponding recordings in Khmer

Post by aakanee »

I know it’s bad style to join and advertise my own website in the first post. I hope, though, that the moderators have a look at the project before kicking me out :lol: … and for full transparency: I’m not even an expat.

I’ve been learning Khmer for a bit, and I’ve just started a project publishing culturally appropriate illustrations and corresponding recordings. The illustrations depict everyday life in South-East Asia and range from basic activities like "getting up", "eating noodle soup" or "taking a motorcycle taxi" to more complex ones like "alms round" and important festivals like the "water festival". As I’m fluent in Thai and have only recently started with Khmer, I have a Thailand bias in the illustrations, but they should still be very relevant to Cambodia.

The illustrations can be used stand-alone with tutors to learn basic vocabulary [beginner/input] or to stimulate speaking [intermediate/output] and maybe even discussion [advanced/conversation]. I will also provide a set of recordings (Thai, Khmer) as well as written descriptions plus recordings of those texts (Khmer only), targeting learners at the intermediate level. In the case of Khmer, I’m targeting first and foremost myself :lol:

I’m going live with three topics today, but I’ll be adding topics on an ongoing basis; I’m planning to do around 60 topics in total. If you’re interested to stay in touch, click through and follow me on FB; I will post updates over there.

I’m also totally open for feedback, so please don’t hold back :)

http://www.aakanee.com/khmer-illustrations.html
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: South-East Asia Illustrations and corresponding recordings in Khmer

Post by Username Taken »

aakanee wrote: I have a Thailand bias in the illustrations, but they should still be very relevant to Cambodia.
Lesson #1 aakanee, Cambodia is not Thailand. Completely different cultures and histories.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote:
aakanee wrote: I have a Thailand bias in the illustrations, but they should still be very relevant to Cambodia.
Lesson #1 aakanee, Cambodia is not Thailand. Completely different cultures and histories.
one of the biggest things (mistakes) people make when they come to Cambodia is think its the same as Thailand, i personally find them very different
will check out the site though and give you some feedback mate :good:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I know it’s bad style to join and advertise my own website in the first post. I hope, though, that the moderators have a look at the project before kicking me out :lol: … and for full transparency: I’m not even an expat...

I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. It's good of you to share.

But why are you not an expat ? That could be a lynchable offence. :dragonchase:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
I know it’s bad style to join and advertise my own website in the first post. I hope, though, that the moderators have a look at the project before kicking me out :lol: … and for full transparency: I’m not even an expat...

I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. It's good of you to share.

But why are you not an expat ? That could be a lynchable offence. :dragonchase:
yeah out of interest, are you just not an expat in cambodia but an expat elsewhere? Thailand?
aakanee
Tourist

Post by aakanee »

Username Taken wrote:
Apologies, I must have inadvertently pushed a button here. What I meant with this is that I've decided for left-lane traffic instead of right-lane, that one or two of the topics will feature a BTS train etc. Small details. I do appreciate criticism, this could help me make the outstanding illustrations better, but to make it tangible it would be great if you could check out the posted illustrations and pin-point where they don't apply to Cambodia.
aakanee
Tourist

Post by aakanee »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah out of interest, are you just not an expat in cambodia but an expat elsewhere? Thailand?
No, I live in Switzerland. I'm just a guy passionate about language learning. I've got a few friends in Khmer-speaking Thailand and also a few Khmer-speaking students I've been supporting for a number of years in a village in Sisaket right at the border, so I got interested in that variety of Khmer. It turned out that the easiest way to learn Khmer Surin / Northern Khmer seems to be to learn standard Khmer first. I got started and have been two times to Cambodia since. I'm also working very closely with several Cambodian tutors from various regions. I love the Khmer language, it's really cool, and I thought I'd share some of the materials I make with my tutors so that other learners can use them if they are interested.

In a sense, I'm an expat, because I'm not Swiss. But I'm not an expat in SEA.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The button is that Cambodia is often perceived as a sort of sub-Thailand. But, yes it could be a challenge to find an equivalent to a BTS train in Cambodia ... the Bamboo train perhaps... ;)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

This thread reminds me of this video, LoL! I hope you have a sense of humour....

That said, it's a very cool website with awesome pics. Must have taken a lot of time to get all that together in a nice website. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

General Mackevili wrote:This thread reminds me of this video, LoL! I hope you have a sense of humour....

That said, it's a very cool website with awesome pics. Must have taken a lot of time to get all that together in a nice website. Image
:plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic